Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bennett: Police singled me out, put a gun near my head

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Sheesh....we'ere about an hour from the beginning of the season....PB is a couple post's away from a milestone....Patler is preparing for his second game day experience......

Get a fuckin' grip...
    Ahh No !
    This is what makes Packerrats get to the level of ' It's at it's best ! '
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Freakin mounties profiling a white guy.
    I suspect he is a Native and 'off the Warpath'.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am not MMQ this situation. I am saying the entire approach to police conduct, from training through conduct review and correction and data collection, is riddled with holes and self dealing.

The administrators allowed to get away with this have reasons to bury bad news. Its almost the union head's job. Those who do poor police work have obvious motives. Its simply a stupid way to do the public's business. There are exceptions and model programs and departments. But the fact that the difference never even gets discussed is why this never gets fixed. And trust is not earned back. Its either with the police or against them.
    pbmax do NOT waste your Posts.

In Canada we might say your a Jean Beliveau or a Bobby Orr away from 50 K Posts. They both are Famous NO. 4 NHL Hockey Jersey Wearers.

Actually... there was once upon a time a Famous Man that wore NO.4 in Green Bay.

Your 'All Day Sucker' is almost gone.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 09-07-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Ahh No !
    This is what makes Packerrats get to the level of ' It's at it's best ! '
    Ahh Ed... got it, to a point...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Admirable distillation, lost to many or most.
    It's important in all these publicized police encounters to remember, in particular at the beginning, the following:

1) You weren't there
    2) You don't know all the facts
    3) the first reports are always the least accurate
    4) your bias affects your interpretation
    5) The media have and will frame the story according to their biases, including presenting altered audio or video
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I am not MMQ this situation. I am saying the entire approach to police conduct, from training through conduct review and correction and data collection, is riddled with holes and self dealing.

The administrators allowed to get away with this have reasons to bury bad news. Its almost the union head's job. Those who do poor police work have obvious motives. Its simply a stupid way to do the public's business. There are exceptions and model programs and departments. But the fact that the difference never even gets discussed is why this never gets fixed. And trust is not earned back. Its either with the police or against them.
    Just to clarify - do you believe that only a minority (the exceptions) of police departments are well-run?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Just to clarify - do you believe that only a minority (the exceptions) of police departments are well-run?
    I have no idea how many would qualify as well run or what percentage. What I was referring to was their ability to be publicly administered or self correct.

Because there is little baseline reporting on police interactions (the reports the feds put together must be supplemented by digging through public records to catch missed events from some departments that don't report at all) means that reporting and tracking is difficult. So I am not sure what the benchmarks would be for well run.

But improvement is hard if there is no self correct mechanism. And lack of reporting reinforces that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I have no idea how many would qualify as well run or what percentage. What I was referring to was their ability to be publicly administered or self correct.

Because there is little baseline reporting on police interactions (the reports the feds put together must be supplemented by digging through public records to catch missed events from some departments that don't report at all) means that reporting and tracking is difficult. So I am not sure what the benchmarks would be for well run.

But improvement is hard if there is no self correct mechanism. And lack of reporting reinforces that.
    gotcha. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I was removing an AC from a window at my church, and a neighbor called the police, thinking I was breaking in (unbeknownst to me). The police arrived soon (five cars if you can believe it) and surrounded the building. I saw one out the window and asked him what was going on. He told me to come to the door. I opened the door and stared into two draw semi-automatics rifles and a pistol. I did exactly as they told me. Eventually I gave them my wallet and proved who I was and why I was there, but could have been shot pretty easy had I not followed instructions. There were no body cams. Honestly, I would not run at all. I would get on the ground and put my hands behind my head and await instructions if police are involved.
    And you think that's right? Some idiot cop could have slipped a bit and ended you. And for what? Where was the threat that justified them aiming live weapons at you? Insane.

Cops are not the best of the best. They're not the worst either, but they hardly represent our finest. Many are jags, and you're lucky to be alive after an encounter like that. If you were anything but an old white man you'd probably be dead.
    Last edited by call_me_ishmael; 09-08-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Try again.
    LOL there is a zero percent chance you're not a middle-aged white man. LOL!

I don't really care either way but why turn the body cams off? You only turn that shit off to do some shady stuff.

In other racial news, 1 1/2 of the final two playing for the women's championship of the U.S. Open Tennis Tournament are black - and AMERICAN!

Funny how good news ends up in the back of the bus compared to irrelevant shit with the damn fake news media.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    In other racial news, 1 1/2 of the final two playing for the women's championship of the U.S. Open Tennis Tournament are black - and AMERICAN!

Funny how good news ends up in the back of the bus compared to irrelevant shit with the damn fake news media.
    wait, they still play professional tennis?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    And you think that's right? Some idiot cop could have slipped a bit and ended you. And for what? Where was the threat that justified them aiming live weapons at you? Insane.

Cops are not the best of the best. They're not the worst either, but they hardly represent our finest. Many are jags, and you're lucky to be alive after an encounter like that. If you were anything but an old white man you'd probably be dead.

I know, it's all sunshine and rainbows in your little safe corner of reality. But there are a lot of places in the US of A where crime rates are high, people rob and shoot each other, and that thin blue line exists to protect people. Even churches exist in high crime areas, section 8 housing areas, where people have stolen weapons that they use against each other and the cops. Yeah, the cops draw guns when they don't know what's inside a building they think may be being robbed by an unknown number of unknown people. Again, I recommend following police instructions. It lowers your chances of being shot dead.

The police have ZERO reasons to pull a gun on someone over suspected petty theft. Get real. That is 100% delusional and you're rationalizing unacceptable behavior. In most of the developed world, police rarely pull out guns. Feel free to take it to FYI.

The police have ZERO reasons to pull a gun on someone over suspected petty theft. Get real. That is 100% delusional and you're rationalizing unacceptable behavior. In most of the developed world, police rarely pull out guns. Feel free to take it to FYI.
    Like I said, you live in some fantasy world, where B&E is a television channel, not a group of guys robbing and carrying. In the real world, especially places like Cleveland where there are over 120 different gangs, all armed, cops face different circumstances than those imagined in your naive, childish skull.

Doesn't matter. You as a citizen have a right to not have your brain blown in by some nervous cop who decided to prematurely pull out his piece.

Doesn't matter. You as a citizen have a right to not have your brain blown in by some nervous cop who decided to prematurely pull out his piece.
    that's a total non sequitur, iow it's par for the course for you and your sophomoric rhetoric.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I know these narratives aren't as interesting if they are evidence-based, but I wish they'd report the timestamp of when a body cam was last running. If you turn your camera off DURING an escalating situation then some guy ends up beaten, well that implies about as much guilt as refusing a breathalyzer.

This Bennett incident does seem like a decent litmus test for tribalism. Your options of narratives include the uncharitable Bennett whose publicly advertised the axe he's grinding, or the narrative of a police union who will reliably protect any officer no matter what.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    If you turn your camera off DURING an escalating situation then some guy ends up beaten, well that implies about as much guilt as refusing a breathalyzer.
    Absolutely. Any officer who does something like this should never police again and be charged with something, depending on the particular incident.