Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bennett: Police singled me out, put a gun near my head

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Then these whiny ass cops write a letter to the NFL mentioning how Bennett doesn't stand for the flag like that has anything to do with what happened.
    And this whiny ass poster says I must be white, as if that has anything to do with what happened.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    On its face, pulling guns about a property crime seems like unnecessary escalation. Did they have reason to expect you to be armed? I understand they don't want you to get the drop on them, but given you were already seen, seems like there is another way to safety approach.
    I disagree Pb, and I respect your opinion in most things. An officer approaching ANY individual in a possible crime probably should have his firearm drawn until he has reason to believe he DOESN'T need it.

The cameras being off should be a fireable offense.
    I tend to agree, but I THINK its not mandatory at this point in Las Vegas. I will say that their cameras being off lends credibility to Bennett's side of the story though.

I am not MMQ this situation. I am saying the entire approach to police conduct, from training through conduct review and correction and data collection, is riddled with holes and self dealing.

The administrators allowed to get away with this have reasons to bury bad news. Its almost the union head's job. Those who do poor police work have obvious motives. Its simply a stupid way to do the public's business. There are exceptions and model programs and departments. But the fact that the difference never even gets discussed is why this never gets fixed. And trust is not earned back. Its either with the police or against them.
    I just realized you are one post from 50k.. I can be a complete dick to you and you dare not waste that post on pettiness I won't though. I respect the 50k too much.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I disagree Pb, and I respect your opinion in most things. An officer approaching ANY individual in a possible crime probably should have his firearm drawn until he has reason to believe he DOESN'T need it.
    Particularly in cases where they can't see what they're facing.

Our personal perspectives are so dramatically different than the police officer. We know we're innocent, but they have to assume the worst, or they get shot. Especially in areas with high crime, high levels of gang activity, stolen gun possession, etc. etc.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I just realized you are one post from 50k.. I can be a complete dick to you and you dare not waste that post on pettiness I won't though. I respect the 50k too much.
    I don't respect it at all! I will keep taunting him to waste his 'epic' post on some trivial response!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post

Actually... there was once upon a time a Famous Man that wore NO.4 in Green Bay.
    Paul Molitor?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    LOL there is a zero percent chance you're not a middle-aged white man. LOL!
    I am well above middle class thank you very much. 100% self made as well. I already posted my age, so that was easy. Do you consider someone with significant hebrew and native american blood white? just checking. Come to vegas, we'll have a beer. You will see I'm not the devil you think I am.

The police have ZERO reasons to pull a gun on someone over suspected petty theft. Get real. That is 100% delusional and you're rationalizing unacceptable behavior. In most of the developed world, police rarely pull out guns. Feel free to take it to FYI.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRKtflyhuec

Lotta videos of situations where there is "ZERO reasons to pull a gun". And these guys were suspected of traffic violations at the point they were pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I know, it's all sunshine and rainbows in your little safe corner of reality. But there are a lot of places in the US of A where crime rates are high, people rob and shoot each other, and that thin blue line exists to protect people. Even churches exist in high crime areas, section 8 housing areas, where people have stolen weapons that they use against each other and the cops. Yeah, the cops draw guns when they don't know what's inside a building they think may be being robbed by an unknown number of unknown people. Again, I recommend following police instructions. It lowers your chances of being shot dead.
    A man washing windows on the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel building in downtown Milwaukee was shot yesterday when a drive-by gunman missed the parked car he was shooting at:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/c...ice/642951001/

I am well above middle class thank you very much. 100% self made as well. I already posted my age, so that was easy. Do you consider someone with significant hebrew and native american blood white? just checking. Come to vegas, we'll have a beer. You will see I'm not the devil you think I am.
    BS alert. Nobody is self made. I don't think you're the devil

BS alert. Nobody is self made. I don't think you're the devil
    Sounds like white guilt to me. On a technical argument, no one is self made. For intents of the term as it applies today....I came from nothing and achieved the Dream. Never handed a big education. Never handed a job. Never handed a thing. I had a good mother, that was worth everything to me.

Paul Molitor?
    A decent MLB player but hardly the MAN wearing The Number 4 you might have named if.......you ..... weren't such a ........... (" I enjoy being such a " bobblehead ) ............ pain in the A$$.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Man you've got it all.....but.... I bet you cannot tell us how many feathers there are on a Penguin?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Being perfectly judicious with the state's monopoly of force when milliseconds matter is not a great job for hairless apes to have to do. By whatever rational one can conceive of a legitimate police force, taking this fact into account will mean they must have considerable leeway for their situational judgement. There will always be comparable situations where one cop will use force while another tolerates more personal risk to deescalate the situation completely. This makes it tempting to move the goalposts on cops, expecting typical duty to include heroics and attributing the lesser outcome to officer prejudice.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

BS alert. Nobody is self made.
    You didn't build that!

Man you've got it all.....but.... I bet you cannot tell us how many feathers there are on a Penguin?

Only if you tell me the airspeed on an unladen swallow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIlW-ovx0Y

Don't forget the capital of Assyria

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It's important in all these publicized police encounters to remember, in particular at the beginning, the following:

1) You weren't there
    2) You don't know all the facts
    3) the first reports are always the least accurate
    4) your bias affects your interpretation
    5) The media have and will frame the story according to their biases, including presenting altered audio or video
    About a year ago there was a local Mke news story about an aide who struck a special needs child. One of the other special needs children had a cell phone out and was rolling, this being a Milwaukee public school, so we got to see the aide losing her temper and striking the boy. In the earliest reports you saw the whole thing. The aide was angry and frustrated and the students were being loud and disrespectful. She suddenly backhanded the boy, but it was clear that she pulled the punch, as it were. Think of the dad hitting John Travolta in the hair at the dinner table in Saturday Night Fever. It was a "What's the matter with you?" smack. [At this point I interject to say that the aide should have been fired. Violence is unacceptable in the classroom, and even such a minor smack as the one the aide delivered represents a failure in temperament that must not be tolerated or excused.] But the television stations, sensing their story about classroom violence was being undercut by the cellphone video's portrayal of the aide's "Leave it to Beaver" level of pugilism, began editing the video to pause at the moment of impact. This is the moment the student flinched and just before the aide's hand began to draw back. Eureka! Much more violenter!

Alas, the aide was black so the story lacked legs, and I doubt anyone even got paid by the MMSD, though there was some quick lawyering up. That doctored video would have been a pretty big deal had it been a white aide. Dang it.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.