Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Studs & Duds - Packers vs. Seahawks

Studs & Duds - Packers vs. Seahawks

Studs

Mike Daniels - Pretty Much Unblockable.

Morgan Burnett - Excellent overall, especially the play where he threw the receiver out of bounds for incompletion.

Dom Capers - He seems to have Russell Wilson's number.

Aaron Rodgers - Not a memorable game, but played really well in the 2nd half.

Randall Cobb - Tough catches all over the field.

Jordy Nelson - 7 catches and a TD.

Nick Perry - 1.5 sacks and good pressure overall.

Duds

Coverage and return units contributed to field position woes in 1st half.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I would add:

Studs

Kyle Murphy - Wasn't great, but held his own against a tough Seattle defense in his first start
    The defense - Had some lapses but played very well

Duds:

MM's clock management at the end of the first half
    Fat Eddie - Gorging on concession stand bratwurst before the game and it showed
    Aikman and Buck - Their anti-Packer bias was in full display today. Sticking up for Peter Carroll under any circumstances is wrong.
    Last edited by Teamcheez1; 09-10-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I want to put in a good word for Fackrell. Had a great fumble recovery and had one or two key pressures.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I would add:

Studs

Kyle Murphy - Wasn't great, but held his own against a tough Seattle defense in his first start
    The defense - Had some lapses but played very well

Duds:

MM's clock management at the end of the first half
    Fat Eddie - Gorging on concession stand bratwurst before the game and it showed
    Stud: Bratwurst Guy.

I now cringe when MM calls a timeout right before the half because he thinks he's gonna get the ball back.

STUD:
    Vogel - had some really nice punts...one out of the end zone went past the 50, that's huge!
    Daniels - played like a man
    Perry - Keeps getting better
    DB's - Had 1 bad series in the 1st half, but other than that, solid. swarm tackling, aggressive to the ball. I liked it.
    Murphy - Can't compliment a 2nd year player who never sniffed the field last year enough for what he did.
    Martellus Bennett - I don't care if it was cheap, he stood up for his QB at the end to he game. brings an attitude this team needs.
    Nelson/Cobb/Adams- Doin what they do.
    Montgomery - Not flashy, but almost 60 yards rushing and almost 40 receiving...if he averaged that all year I think he is real dangerous.
    Rodgers - 1st half bad, but looked ready in 2nd half.

Duds...

Refs - Weird game.

To any Florida people, stay safe! Blessed to have planned to have our friends here today to watch the game with us from near Naples, Florida. They are lucky to have gotten out, but prayers up to all those down there, and still those in Texas and the area.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Duds - troy and buck for bringing up the 'bad' calls about ten times. they sounded like bitching fans rather than announcers
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Duds - troy and buck for bringing up the 'bad' calls about ten times. they sounded like bitching fans rather than announcers
    They don't usually bother me the way they do some people. Today though was an exception.

Dud kind of-Clay, never really heard his name all day.

Studs: Rodgers, Montgomery, Cobb, Nelson, Daniels, Perry, Randall, Rollins, Capers

Duds: no Packers in a major way; Josh Jones was dangerously out of position as end man on at least two kick offs, Jahri Evans - not as good as I had hoped, Kendricks - sorry, but I like Richard Rodgers better than him
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    What a beautiful game. Who's supposed to be the bad-asses and who are the softies again?

Rodgers 28/42/311 - and the masterful TD to Nelson after yet another fake-huddle quick-snap 12-men-on-the-field opportunity. He was holding the ball too long in the first half and that mostly ended in the second half when they remembered that the quick-release timing plays are the way to get things going.

How about that 9-minute offense to close out the game? Against Seattle's D? Epic. When this team gets leads, they don't lose - and they've got all the tools to be better than ever.

Monty with the BEASTLY catch and then run through Thomas’ tackle attempt. 95 HUGE all-purpose yards and a powerful goalline TD – a bunch of big plays at clutch times that were difference makers in that game.

Williams had a couple nice runs to move the chains in his limited action.

Cobb and Nelson showed they know how to make big first-down catches and had big days.

Cobb 9 for 85 yds.
    Nelson 7 for 79 and a TD.

It seemed like all 16 of 'em were clutch too.

And I’d say Marty B. earned himself some serious trust points with Rodgers with 3/43 - including the big-gain for the dagger. And then he goes after guy who had the audacity to hit Rodgers downfield. Dumb play by itself but that’s the kind of don’t-fuck-with-us attitude that guys rally around – and that great teams tend to have.

Adams can separate from press coverage with the best of ‘em. He threw arguably the best press cover-corner in the league - Sherman for a loop on that slant in the 2nd half. Who can stop that if not Sherman? More quick slants in his future. 4/39. He’ll have his plays this year but APRH he could be the guy whose opportunities are sacrificed by fact that there are more playmakers than ever and still only one ball.

And how about Daniels? Holy shit. He just decided it was time for him to single-handedly take that game over. 7 tackles (5 solo – all of which he seemed to throw the poor schmucks trying to block him to the side - 1.5 sacks and the forced fumble that basically won the game. Fack showed his athleticism snatching the hot potato coming his way. How many times have we seen guys fail to recover balls just lying there?

Perry was physically dominant too. 1.5 sacks and he had to have 4 or 5 pressures on top of that. The whole front 7 had Wilson watching them and trying to avoid getting pounded for most of that game.

And they dominated Seattle’s run game. Other than the one really nice cutback by Carson where he escaped 4 or 5 guys to the outside for 30 yards and the Wilson scramble for 29 - Seattle’s other 16 attempts got them a whopping 31 yards.

Jake Ryan got taken off the field in the 2nd half because they made Seattle so one-dimensional after getting the lead, but he set the tone early with some pounding tackles stuffing the run early.

Eddie Lacy might be done running behind that line. He can’t make people miss quickly enough. I think Carson and Rawls are gonna be their guys.

House gave up some plays I thought. And he was lucky they couldn’t connect a few more times. Randall and Rollins both had tight coverage all day I thought and both tackled well. Rollins had 8 tackles (4 solo) and Randall had 6 – all solo.

And the safeties were all over the place. It seemed like there was about 10 of them out there. Burnett, Clinton-Dix, and Bryce - active and everywhere - In the box, at the line of scrimmage, big hits down the deep sideline, breaking up 3rd down passes down the middle against bigger TE’s at the sticks, denying Jimmy Graham in the endzone, knocking balls out in the back of the endzone.... Jimmy Graham had a whopping 3 cathces for 8 yards today. Nullified.

Josh Jones can’t contain himself on kickoff coverage. Too young and aggressive and lost his contain twice for sure. He’ll figure that out though, and he’s going to add to this safety group’s ability to control games as the season goes on.

……………......……….Seattle………..Green Bay
    First Downs.......……12…………………26
    ……by Rushing….......3………………….8
    …...by Passing......….8……………….16
    …..by Penalty.......….1………………..2
    3rd Down Efficiency….3/12…..9/16
    Total Net Yards……..225…………..370
    # Plays……........……48………………..72
    Rushing Plays…......18………………28
    Runs for Loss..……4 for -9……..1 for -1
    Passing Yds…….....158……………..311
    Sacks Allowed…..3 for 23 yds……4 for 24 yds. – all in 1st Half
    Touchdowns.......……0……...........2
    Time of Possession.20:47………………39:13

Other than the offensive ineffectiveness in the first half (that’s a serious defensive unit) which they remembered how to overcome in the 2nd half by getting the ball out quicker and in rhythm - and a couple big plays the defense allowed that helped Seattle get into field goal range – that was a serious can of whoop ass Seattle got themselves sprayed all over with. It’ll be interesting to see how often that happens to that offensive line – offensive being the operative word - by other defenses this year. I assume they’ll get better, but that was quite the ass-kicking.

Atlanta’s offense obviously won’t be quite that shitty. I’d say the Packers match up a ton better with Atlanta this year though – at least up the middle of the field - with all those safeties playing everywhere. Not sure how they hang with Jones, Sanu, etc. outside though. House better sharpen up his game. King will eventually be a much better match-up, but I fear for his safety next week.

No better test for a defense that will have a little swagger going in. We’ll see pretty quick if it’s real of fake I'd say.

Blog Entries
    STUDS: REFS...........We undoubtedly got the calls today...which IMO never happens........they really F'cked up the TD for Seattle and it was a huge gamechanger
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I second ND72's nomination of Vogel. He was backed up a couple of times and hit no duds. He allowed 1 return of 5 punts, though there was one other moon shot he hit that could have been returned.

Kid looks good so far. 42 Net is great is they have less than 20 returns for the season.

Fackrell was active, more than he was in preseason. Still not a force at getting quick pressure, he has a nose for the ball and being in position. Would have loved to see more of Brooks.

Murphy held up better than I expected. And he seemed to get better.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    STUDS: REFS...........We undoubtedly got the calls today...which IMO never happens........they really F'cked up the TD for Seattle and it was a huge gamechanger
    You throw a punch and you get a flag. There is no need to apologize for that call. And Rodgers probably tackles that guy of he doesn't get shoved off line by the block in the back.

The non DPI was worse than both. But they were calling grabbing much in either secondary, which actually plays to Seattle's strengths.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Jahri Evans - not as good as I had hoped
    That was the one fly in the ointment for me. Man, if that guy is the starter, how bad are the backups?

Maybe we got spoiled last year having 6 good linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You throw a punch and you get a flag.
    I didn't see a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Eddie Lacy might be done running behind that line. He can’t make people miss quickly enough. I think Carson and Rawls are gonna be their guys.
    It's only one game, but the guy is a dead weight. I'm glad he's not the Packer's problem anymore.

Blog Entries
    Solid review, Vince. Like all your work, great.

What happened to Brooks? Concussion protocol? When did he get hit? He must have delivered a blow somewhere, where was it?

Not a great game, but there was some slobberknockin' goin on out there. Fair amount of bad blood flowing btw the two ballclubs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You throw a punch and you get a flag. There is no need to apologize for that call. And Rodgers probably tackles that guy of he doesn't get shoved off line by the block in the back.

The non DPI was worse than both. But they were calling grabbing much in either secondary, which actually plays to Seattle's strengths.
    HAVING FLASHBACKS TO CRIS CARTER

COME ON MAN

Adams deserved every bit of a penalty as the dude who got one. You don't throw a punch and you get a flag; that is my interpretation. And Rogers go marginally pushed in the shoulder. The NFL guy Perarra sp? who does everything h can to protect his old buddies even said both calls were poor.

Don't get me wrong...........I'll take em and be happy about it...VERY HAPPY

I'm thankful

THE DPI's wee bad too but I could argue against those and say balls were uncatchable. I have a hard time doing anything but grinning in thanks at the INT calls.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    The rookie RB from Seattle looked a lot better than Lacy

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    The rookie RB from Seattle looked a lot better than Lacy
    I would have looked better than Feast Mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.