Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Studs & Duds - Packers vs. Seahawks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Yes. MM defended the strategy. Said the defense was dominating, and he wanted to get the ball back. If you get the ball at midfield with :15, you do have a chance to complete a sideline pass to set up a long field goal. Both Nelson and Adams are pretty good at those. Interesting how many people here think MM was too aggressive when he could have let the clock run out.
    If he had three TOs, it might happen that way. But even with three, I don't like the TO on 3rd and three.

But with two, here is where you would be:

(:55) C.Prosise left end to SEA 10 for -1 yards (B.Martinez, Q.Rollins). Timeout #2 by GB at 00:48.

(:48) C.Prosise up the middle to SEA 18 for 8 yards (C.Matthews, D.House).
    Timeout #3 by GB at 00:43

At 43 seconds after your last timeout, with 5-8 seconds for the play, the 40 second play clock for fourth down starts with 35 to 38 seconds to go. You literally cannot get the ball back. Even if a miracle happens and 4th down starts on 43 seconds left. All Jon Ryan has to do is call for the punt at 3 seconds and run backward to the 1.

The only hope is Seattle committing a penalty.

The downside is that now you defense is in the middle of the field trying to prevent long bombs, which always leads to shorter passes being open.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If he had three TOs, it might happen that way. But even with three, I don't like the TO on 3rd and three.

(:55) C.Prosise left end to SEA 10 for -1 yards (B.Martinez, Q.Rollins). Timeout #2 by GB at 00:48.

At 43 seconds after your last timeout, with 5-8 seconds for the play, the 40 second play clock for fourth down starts with 35 to 38 seconds to go. You literally cannot get the ball back. Even if a miracle happens and 4th down starts on 43 seconds left. All Jon Ryan has to do is call for the punt at 3 seconds and run backward to the 1.

The downside is that now you defense is in the middle of the field trying to prevent long bombs, which always leads to shorter passes being open.
    You think there's any chance MM forgot he had burned a timeout after the 1st play of the game?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

You think there's any chance MM forgot he had burned a timeout after the 1st play of the game?
    Yep, there is a chance.

Or he could, as Bossman said, just be hoping for an error deep in their own territory. So I am on board using the TOs.

But not on first down and nor after the 8 yard gain.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

At 43 seconds, if they stop the play in under 3 seconds, there was a shot at a free kick even if time ran out...if I remember the rule correctly.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    At 43 seconds, if they stop the play in under 3 seconds, there was a shot at a free kick even if time ran out...if I remember the rule correctly.
    Let's say the play took 2 seconds and the zebras immediately got the play clock going. Even then, with 1 second left, Wilson could have just taken the snap on 4th down and kneeled to run out the clock.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    43 seconds is before third down. 40 seconds would be before fourth down. You only need to kill a second by running backward to end the half.

Yes. MM defended the strategy. Said the defense was dominating, and he wanted to get the ball back. If you get the ball at midfield with :15, you do have a chance to complete a sideline pass to set up a long field goal. Both Nelson and Adams are pretty good at those. Interesting how many people here think MM was too aggressive when he could have let the clock run out.
    The problem is that the second down play ended (and the Packers took a TO) with 43 seconds left on the clock. A third down run was going to take at least 3 seconds; the 1st down and 2nd down runs both took 5 seconds off the clock, so Seattle would have been able to run out the clock anyways. MM's only chance was for Seattle to pass, the runner to fumble, or the runner to go out of bounds. It was stupid decision.
    Go PACK

It was dumb. Hopefully, he learns his lesson after taking time to think about it. The reporters should grill him more on it. Maybe that would help. It's not just the time though. I don't think you call the timeout after you just gave up 5 yards on a run and it 3rd and just 3.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Kind of like in last year's regular season Dallas game. Dallas was content with and trying to just run out the clock before half with a 10-6 lead when MM started calling timeouts and the D forgot how to tackle/went prevent. The Boys then proceeded to march right down the field and score a TD with .31 left before the half. It was a killer and completely changed the complexion of the game with it being 17-6 instead of 10-6 at the half. That tactic just never seems to work for us.

As others have pointed out, we didn't have 3 timeouts, Seattle only needed 2 yards for a first on 3rd down, the D had played great for the entire half up to that point so the rest would have done them good, we hadn't moved the ball very well all half, and we were due to get the ball to start the 2nd half. Under those circumstances I thought it was dumb to call those TO's and give the Hags any chance at all. I would have been content to go into the locker room at 0-0 and re-group. The way Ryan had been booming his punts and pinning us deep in our own territory the entire half why would you think we were going to end up with the ball anywhere near mid-field to begin with. I just didn't think anything was in our favor at that point to call those TO's and it ended up backfiring again.

Here is another perspective of Lambeau Field and how a Packer fan arrived without time for a Beer and Burger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpchQJ7Otds

Skydive Into Lambeau Field
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I am going to be a bit of a downer here, but I do not think Davante is as good as some people seem to believe. He's only average or above average and Rodgers makes him better. I am torn about his future in Green Bay, but I really don't want us to pay him 10mil/year. He is not worth it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I am going to be a bit of a downer here, but I do not think Davante is as good as some people seem to believe. He's only average or above average and Rodgers makes him better. I am torn about his future in Green Bay, but I really don't want us to pay him 10mil/year. He is not worth it.
    I disagree. He is well along his personal development. His footwork has improved by at least 50%. He runs precise routes and has became violent with his hands. Speaking of hands, he's learned to catch and secure the ball. When he runs a double move, Rodgers respects it and gives him a long look. He is now the 3rd WR in that group. Should he get a huge financial deal? I dunno about that shit. He's in the mix, what money that garners, who knows?

I am going to be a bit of a downer here, but I do not think Davante is as good as some people seem to believe. He's only average or above average and Rodgers makes him better.
    He has been up and down. (Jordy was mostly down his first year and a half, if memory serves.)

I'd say this season is the rubber match. I initially was against the guy because Madtown liked him. That is certainly a reasonable basis for hating a player. But now I am hopeful that this will finally be the season where he proves his value.

Yup.

Good observation. As with everybody, Aaron Rodgers makes him what he is, and he wouldn't be that hard to replace.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

^Lmao, people only think about fantasy impact now...there is a reason Cobb was open so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    ^Lmao, people only think about fantasy impact now...there is a reason Cobb was open so much.
    No. Not WRT to fantasy. I'm not a fantasy guy. Just musing, making an observation. Seattle's defense is really good. It wasn't disappointed with him in this game per se. But I didn't think his 2016 was as good as others did and he makes me nervous.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I assume you mean because Seattle was chasing Bennett Adams and Nelson. I didn't see much of the game but I saw Cobb getting open a couple of times because Seattle lost track of him.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    About Lambeau; it's one of the quietest stadiums I've been in. Cincy, Philly, Buffalo, Detroit, Mpls, San Fran, County Stadium, Indy, AZ, were all significantly louder and fans standing more. Cincy fans stand the whole game. Cleveland and Chicago were quieter but those were total blowouts by the visitors and the teams sucked so hard to tell. Packer home fans are nice people, nice friendly drunks who are even generally friendly to the opposing team's fans. More like watching a game with your extended family. Other stadiums are
    Like watching a game at a raucous bar.