Thread: R.I.P. Dan Currie

R.I.P. Dan Currie

A part of the legendary Packers 1958 draft, we was drafted in the 1st round, followed by Jim Taylor (2nd round), Ray Nitschke (3rd round) and Jerry Kramer (4th round).

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...1-06d5cf4bd522

In 1960, Currie was named to the Pro Bowl.

In 1961, he was named first-team all-pro by two of the three news services: United Press International and Newspaper Enterprise Association, a team picked by a vote of the players. In 1962, when the Packers repeated as NFL champions, Currie was a consensus all-pro, chosen by the Associated Press, in addition to UPI and NEA. In 1963, Currie was again named one of the three linebackers on the NEA team.

At that point, Nitschke had yet to make an all-pro team or be selected to a Pro Bowl.

In 1961, the Packers shut out the Chicago Bears for the first time in 26 years as Currie intercepted two passes. In the NFL Championship Game that year, Currie was part of a defense that held the New York Giants to six first downs in a 37-0 victory.

In the 1962 NFL title game, Currie might have played as well, if not better than Nitschke, who was named the game’s MVP, as the Packers beat the Giants again, 16-7. Currie intercepted a pass and caused a fumble in that game.

However, receiver Tommy McDonald had blindsided Currie in the Packers’ 49-0 victory over Philadelphia on Nov. 11, 1962, causing him to miss two regular-season games.

Currie was never the same after his knee injury.

He started all 14 games in 1963 and ’64, but was traded to the Los Angeles Rams for receiver Carroll Dale in April 1965. Dave Robinson, another Packers player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, replaced Currie as the left linebacker that year.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...#ixzz4sbqUkOwc
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    They called him "Dapper", as in Dapper Dan. A top flight player and a favorite of female Packer fans. Guy was a great player and was really liked by his teammates. You rarely hear Currie mentioned as one of the stalwarts of the Lombardi Packer, but he was top flight in his day. the knee injury ended his days as an All-pro type, but he was a superb player.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...ardis-packers/

Remembering Dan Currie, the most dapper of Lombardi’s Packers

He was a solid Green Bay Packer ! R.I.P. 'Dapper Dan' Currie.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau