Thread: Rodgers head first slide

Rodgers head first slide

Does anyone else cringe every time Rodgers does that head first slide? When I first noticed it last year I immediately thought it was going to lead to trouble - my understanding of the rule that he's not giving himself up and needs to be 'touched' down.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

well, if he would have slid, he wouldn't have gotten the crucial first down, and we would have been punting

he slides when he can, and dives when he has to

when you slide, they spot the ball where the ball was when the slide began. when he dives head first, the ball is spotted wherever the ball was when he was touched down

can be a 3 or 4 yard difference

I'm not sure a QB dive is that dangerous. The QB can duck his chin down and prepare himself for incoming hit. His ribs, legs, torso are not exposed if the QB fetal-positions a bit. Most importantly, the DBs have to be hesitant because they expect a slide.

Now, if the QB goes Pete Rose style, holding the ball out in front of him to get extra feet, he could be an idiot.

yeah you wince when he does it but you figure he knows when and when not to.

Was it a head first or feet first slide/dive that cost him a concussion in Detroit?

I want to say feet first and his head got snapped back into the turf. Need to judge bodies either way of you need an extra yard and there are defenders close by.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Was it a head first or feet first slide/dive that cost him a concussion in Detroit?
    No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjBeysZp39g

Rodgers only does the head first dive/slide when sliding would likely cost him a first down. He still gets down quickly and, I think, leads with his left shoulder. That reduces the contact that he takes. Also since the rules about slides mean the defensive players are not likely selling out for the big hit. While he still needs to be touched when on the ground, the biggest risk is from a helmet hit, and spearing is still a penalty. I do cringe, but he is smart about it.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Anytime a QB runs, it's risky, because they can't always see who is coming from their blindside. Even when they are running after a guy to prevent a pick-6!

Just crossing the street is risky. Gotta play to win.

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I must be remembering the game from Earth2's timeline. In that timeline, they beat the Lions AND the Patriots but lost the NFCC to the Bears.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I must be remembering the game from Earth2's timeline. In that timeline, they beat the Lions AND the Patriots but lost the NFCC to the Bears.
    And those two wins would have put the championship game in Lambeau. Ouch.

And those two wins would have put the championship game in Lambeau. Ouch.
    It was brutal. Lotta people refuse to talk about it or travel in Illinois to this day.

It was brutal. Lotta people refuse to talk about it or travel in Illinois to this day.
    I refuse to travel to Illinois every day.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

On the plus side for Earth2 transport, the ferry is doing very well.

Is Earth2 your own private Planet Lovetron (Daryl Dawkins) or is this a cultural reference to which I simply oblivious (there are many of those)?

Is Earth2 your own private Planet Lovetron (Daryl Dawkins) or is this a cultural reference to which I simply oblivious (there are many of those)?
    Its not private, but I only have access during REM sleep. Dawkins was a permanent resident of Lovetron.