Thread: Calling Timeouts At End of Half

Calling Timeouts At End of Half

After a full review of McCarthy’s end of half management, I counted 32 instances in which Green Bay aggressively called timeouts while the other team still had the ball. Note that this does not include instances in which the opposing team failed on third down and Green Bay called their first timeout at this time. Those instances are obvious timeout situations.

In those 32 instances Green Bay was outscored by a total margin of 29-51. It probably should have been 29-55 if Washington kicked an extra point instead of going for 2 and had Nate Freese not missed a fairly pedestrian 41 yard field goal.
    https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-mi...medium=twitter

Do you agree with the evaluation? I cannot find a way to search for all TOs called on Pro Football Reference to check this work. On its face, 29-51 looks bad, but we are talking about basically one opponent possession per game so the numbers are going to go against you (even great teams get outscored on opponents possessions).

So the score total doesn't do much for me, but is it a winning strategy?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I tend to not get too pissed off with the risk taking, but the strange thing is when you combine this tendency of McCarthy with his penchant for going hyper-cautious with a second half lead a.k.a. playing not to lose. That - which amounts to taking the ball out of the hands of the world's greatest QB who is especially great at not turning it over - seems kinda stupid.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

More background, more numbers, but no new data really.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...sks/670991001/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If you're going to do it, you need a defensive coordinator who is going to go all out to force a 3 and out. In that situation though, I think Capers' instinct is to prevent the big play at the end of the half. What you end up with is a soft pass defense that allows the opponent to get running room or medium yardage passing plays.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

numbers seem about right. it seems to bite us in the ass more then it helps us

these numbers should be stapled to dumb/fat mikes forehead

Without any comparison to normal defensive possessions or how other teams do, its impossible to know if this approach helps.

What worries me is that one of the items McCarthy mentioned in its favor is believing in your team. That's just coach speak for putting them in bad positions.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I hate when he does this.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Sometimes Stubby can't see the forest for the trees. It's what gets us to the playoffs year after year, but it's also what cost us a trip to the Super Bowl.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Last week he really didn't need to call TOs at the end in a tie game when we get the ball first after the half. We were doing Seattle a favor giving them time to call plays in that drive. Thankfully those 3 points didn't come back to haunt us in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-mi...medium=twitter

Do you agree with the evaluation? I cannot find a way to search for all TOs called on Pro Football Reference to check this work. On its face, 29-51 looks bad, but we are talking about basically one opponent possession per game so the numbers are going to go against you (even great teams get outscored on opponents possessions).

So the score total doesn't do much for me, but is it a winning strategy?
    Sounds about right, but its actually worse. He calls the TO IN CASE we get a stop, but then he puts the D in prevent so they won't give up a "big play". Invariably this turns into a 20-30 yard gain and puts the opposition at midfield with all their TOs left. If you are going to use your TOs and TRY to get the ball back great. Play tough D, clamp down and force a punt. But this idea that they might miss the guy 20 yards downfield wide open cuz you are making sure you don't give up the TD makes it pointless to call the TO.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If you're going to do it, you need a defensive coordinator who is going to go all out to force a 3 and out. In that situation though, I think Capers' instinct is to prevent the big play at the end of the half. What you end up with is a soft pass defense that allows the opponent to get running room or medium yardage passing plays.
    He is calling the D that MM wants. Not fair to put that on Dom. If MM wanted him playing for the stop he would be.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He is calling the D that MM wants. Not fair to put that on Dom. If MM wanted him playing for the stop he would be.
    Maybe. I've always been unclear on how much MM imposes his will on the defensive staff.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Maybe. I've always been unclear on how much MM imposes his will on the defensive staff.
    If they aren't on the same page about the goal of getting the ball back i have to wonder what kind of rag tag operation they are running.