Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 2 @ Atlanta

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Please don't tell me this "average value" is some fantasy football thing. Say it ain't so.

I find opinions of what is seen on the field more interesting. Not that all opinions are equally well based. Things change year-to-year, and an observer can account for whether a player's productivity is due to his individual skill or team factors.
    I think most people saw what Packer coaches saw: that their starting dbs were not up to the task. That's why they pulled Rollins and Randall for King. Given the fact that R&R were so bad they had to be pulled, and House was slow, it seems fruitless to make WR comparisons based on this game alone.

You don't need fantasy scores to know that R&R have been questionable going back. Last year they had injuries as excuse, this year....?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I think most people saw what Packer coaches saw: that their starting dbs were not up to the task. That's why they pulled Rollins and Randall for King. Given the fact that R&R were so bad they had to be pulled, and House was slow, it seems fruitless to make WR comparisons based on this game alone.

You don't need fantasy scores to know that R&R have been questionable going back. Last year they had injuries as excuse, this year....?
    This year mental errors and technique issues. Totally things R&R should have down by now.

But I'm not going to run them off yet. Neither is Grabby McSmurf bad, so give them another year of development (safety to corner and basketball to football).
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I need to find a new football guru. I will follow Woody for a while, see how that goes.

I need to find a new football guru. I will follow Woody for a while, see how that goes.
    It's like you're tempting me to take a shot at him. Or you. Or both.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I have been supportive of Dom Capers over the years, but I wonder if we have any chance of ever beating the Falcons with him as the defensive coordinator.

The Bears only lost by 6 points to the Falcons. We haven't even shown a glimmer of hope in the last 3 games with the Falcons.

Of course, the offense hasn't looked much better either. They have now managed just 7 points in the first halves of the last two games.
    For a fair argument, assess our D against chicago's in that debate. Eliminate defensive scores. Look at the whole picture. If we get 2 calls to be no calls and Rodgers doesn't do a 360 Favresque Pick you are thinking we lost a real tough tight game.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Maybe somebody more expert than me can do this. If you combined Green Bay and Atlanta's WRs, what would be pecking order for top five?
    Julio Jones, Jordy Nelson....everyone else. But Julio is near god like....and he is playing against our cbs
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Can I suggest Rutnstrut instead? His posting volume is smaller and will leave you more time to ruminate.

Please don't tell me this "average value" is some fantasy football thing. Say it ain't so.

I find opinions of what is seen on the field more interesting. Not that all opinions are equally well based. Things change year-to-year, and an observer can account for whether a player's productivity is due to his individual skill or team factors.
    Come on you sleepy mutt, time to emerge from your kennel and enter into the 21st century. Value is DVOA, a football outsiders advanced stat (Defense-adjusted Value over average?), the football equivalent of baseball's WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Come on you sleepy mutt, time to emerge from your kennel and enter into the 21st century. Value is DVOA, a football outsiders advanced stat (Defense-adjusted Value over average?), the football equivalent of baseball's WAR.
    WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Say it again?

I agree Baranczyk makes it a point worth debating. Sanu had a good game. But in part that is by design as the Packers would rather Sanu catch all the balls rather than Jones.

Average value is a very rough measure of player success. Its partially dependent on stats specific to a position, but also takes into account things like postseason recognition. Its not the end all of the argument. But Sanu has been underused compared to the other two. If he is a talent on par with them, his teams haven't figured it out yet.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I could look those up too, but average value here is from Pro-Football-Reference.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ah, when an entertainment comes down to stats and computer models, it alienates more people than it attracts. It becomes information gathering.

I tried a fantasy league with a sport I follow closely (college wrestling.) I like to win. It distracts from appreciation of the sport, you worry too much about your allegiance to your fantasy team.

It's like the Analog Kid versus the Digital Man in here.

Can I suggest Rutnstrut instead? His posting volume is smaller and will leave you more time to ruminate.
    He's to the point, alright. But kinda strikes me as rough trade.

For the farm boys:

rough trade: violent, often brutal sex acts, or a person, usually a male prostitute, who looks like they participate in such acts.

For the farm boys:

rough trade: violent, often brutal sex acts, or a person, usually a male prostitute, who looks like they participate in such acts.
    Dude, I'm a 45 year old father of 3 that looks like a lumberjack. I'd be the worst male prostitute ever.

Hold on. Doesn't rough trade mean the (mostly) straight johns that male prostitutes service in certain areas? (Sailors and the lot)

Of course, my exposure to this term is incidental, and involves G. Gordon Liddy in a non-Watergate role.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hold on. Doesn't rough trade mean the (mostly) straight johns that male prostitutes service in certain areas? (Sailors and the lot)
    Here's a magazine related to the genre:

I do think from Rutnstrut's description above he would fit right in. Flannel shirt, hairy chest.....

I think "rough trade" is like "bear", but with a bit of danger/violence to it.

I had some gay friends who called me "rough trade", I somehow knew what they were joking about. Actually, I'm not very tough and would be more of a bear.