Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 2 @ Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Well, I was definitely wrong. Atlanta still has speed in spades. Holy schnikes are they ever in a different class than the Packers speed and route running wise.
    Not really. They have Julio Jones and we don't have an answer for him. Other than that they are not as superior as they looked. This is week 2 against the best team in football (imo). We aren't as good as they are, but by week 19 you never know.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    People can talk about the failures of the defense all they want. But when you're going up against the NFL's #1 offense, you need to score points. In the last 2 meetings, the Packers have scored a total of 7 points in the 1st half. I know they were limited in what they could do offensively tonight because of the injuries to Bulaga, Bakh and Jordy. My point is that if they're going to beat Atlanta, they're going to need the offense hitting on all cylinders. It can happen if they're healthy offensively. The defense gave up 27 points tonight. That's not great, but it's good enough to keep the team in the game if the offense is functioning properly.
    And this is why I constantly harp on the ability to run the football. You have success running the ball early and everything changes. Rodgers faces more 2nd and 4, their D stays on the field and gets gassed, their O stays on the sidelines and can't get rhythm...you know, kinda like what happened to us.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I have been supportive of Dom Capers over the years, but I wonder if we have any chance of ever beating the Falcons with him as the defensive coordinator.

The Bears only lost by 6 points to the Falcons. We haven't even shown a glimmer of hope in the last 3 games with the Falcons.

Of course, the offense hasn't looked much better either. They have now managed just 7 points in the first halves of the last two games.
    Last edited by Teamcheez1; 09-18-2017 at 08:50 AM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Generally I'll reserve calling you a self-consumed IDIOT for FYI, but since you infected this area of the forum, I'll respond. You are seriously blind to the rottenness of our O Line? how QBs like Brady actually get time to set up and throw, which Aaron Rodgers virtually never does? how other teams have holes to run through, which the Packers virtually never do?

It's a testament to Aaron Rodgers that the Packers are as great as they are with as awful an O Line as they have.
    If the success of the O-line is completely due to Rodgers, then why weren't they as successful yesterday, and in 2015 at AZ with Bac out, or any other time they have multiple O-line injuries? See how your stupid moronic theory collapses on itself?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    We haven't even shown a glimmer of hope in the last 3 games with the Falcons.
    This is silly. They had several stops yesterday. Yesterday was kindof a clusterfavre - a collection of failings. There are places where the defense needs to improve, and APRH by the end of the season they should. Obviously, the offense should be much better when Bac, Bulaga, Nelson and Cobb return.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Being on the road was the worst situation for that O line. Unsure how loud it was, but some stadiums could make that intolerable.

If you mess with Rodgers protection, he gets antsy and sometimes looks like 2008 Rodgers. That leads to some inaccuracy and then drops. tex has one thing I agree with, Rodgers can make leaky protection look good. But he needs it to be predictable and not constant. It started out OK (they had a decent number of yards early) but got worse until the Atl D wore itself out.

I am not a fan of the offensive progression being Nelson for a while, then Cobb then when there is no other choice, Adams. Adams is the only dynamic one out there. Feed him.

Bennett and Rodgers are just not on the same page yet. It sorted itself out with Cook, it will with Bennett.

On defense, the DBs all look like they have never seen a crossing route. There is never anyone on the opposite side of the field to tattoo someone. Which tells me they are pressuring, but the pressure isn't getting home often enough.

House looked old at times and then got hurt. Randall is a willing tackler, but if you put a move on him, he reacts as though someone set off a firework. I don't see him surviving in the slot. Can you imagine the knot Edelman or Welker would put him in?

I would start Jones and King and live with it until they get better. Both are able tacklers in run support. Let's keep the number of problems to a minimum for now.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I have been supportive of Dom Capers over the years, but I wonder if we have any chance of ever beating the Falcons with him as the defensive coordinator.

The Bears only lost by 6 points to the Falcons. We haven't even shown a glimmer of hope in the last 3 games with the Falcons.

Of course, the offense hasn't looked much better either. They have now managed just 7 points in the first halves of the last two games.
    One glimmer of hope is that at times King looked like someone who could be able to match up with someone like Jones. He's not there yet, but I think he has the ability.

Forget about that Bear game. Falcons looked flat in that game. Some of it may have been playing on a slower field, but I think they looked past the Bears.

3 years ago, the Packers got smoked by Seattle in Week 1 and started out 1-2. By the end of the year they were arguably the best team in the NFL. Having the best team in September doesn't get you in the Super Bowl.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

On defense, the DBs all look like they have never seen a crossing route. There is never anyone on the opposite side of the field to tattoo someone. Which tells me they are pressuring, but the pressure isn't getting home often enough.
    This. Falcons made hay on that several times last night, and the (warranted) preoccupation with Jones allowed Sanu to eat their lunch.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Nice breakdown of what should have happened on the Cobb/Bennett pick play.

http://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article...cons-107606935
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 37m37 minutes ago
    From my 20-note Numbers piece:
    1: Yard gained on GB's second through sixth possessions.
    75: Distance of Green Bay’s game-opening TD drive.

Bob McGinn @BobMcGinn 40m40 minutes ago
    At http://bobmcginnfootball.com : Quinn goes to 3-0 vs. #Packers with better turnover differential, fewer penalties and stronger play at QB.

Bob (or his social media director) is laying this at McCarthy's feet. But the entries fail to capture the most important elements of the game.

#injuries to O line
    #secondary ineptness
    #injury to Nelson

Green Bay Packers @packers 2h2 hours ago
    "I thought our guys fought back, we didn't have enough"
    1-on-1 with Coach McCarthy after #GBvsATL: http://pckrs.com/rc7md

Green Bay Packers @packers 10h10 hours ago
    Rodgers: It was a tough game. They're a fantastic team, well-coached, MVP quarterback. #GBvsATL

Green Bay Packers @packers 2h2 hours ago
    Aaron Rodgers talks about the "what if" moments in #GBvsATL

��: http://pckrs.com/3teee
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-18-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Kentrell Brice (groin) was injured and out for the game at some point. Probably when Jones entered the game.

Nelson (quad)
    Daniels (hammy)
    Evans (groin) it was noted he returned to game but unsure for how long
    Cobb (shoulder)

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...st-vs-falcons/

Hard to argue with any of this:

According to initial numbers tallied by Pro Football Focus, the Falcons completed 10 passes on 11 targets for 148 yards against the coverage of Randall and Rollins on Sunday night.

The excuses are running out for a pair of third-year players who were drafted to be the backbone of Green Bay’s cornerback group. No longer are injuries a valid explanation for getting beat, often so effortlessly.

Randall has the athleticism and quick-twitch movements to be an effective coverage corner, but he’s frequently lazy in his footwork and inconsistent with his jams at the line of scrimmage. That combination leads to a lot of trailing coverage after getting smoked off the line of scrimmage.

Rollins just isn’t athletic enough to handle perimeter coverage on a consistent basis, especially on a fast track like Atlanta’s or against the speed the Falcons possess at receiver.

More importantly, they both seem to lack a threshold level of situational awareness.

Rookie Kevin King wasn’t perfect on Sunday night, but at least he battled. The Packers’ top pick passed his trial by fire. He even won a few one-on-one battles against Jones.

It’s clear who the future of the position is in Green Bay. No longer does that title belong to Randall or Rollins. If the Packers are to ever match what the Falcons are capable of in the passing game, it’ll come from King and his progression over the next four months. The futures of Randall and Rollins look considerably dimmer after a healthy disaster on Sunday night in Atlanta.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I don't know why Randall's technique is so awful and I don't know why anyone ever thought Rollins was suited to play outside.

Let King play. Maybe by the end of the season he'll get close to being a lockdown corner. They have to have one so the safeties can help on the other side. House is no answer; he's running in quicksand.

I have no idea why they do about the slot. Maybe make a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    They have Julio Jones and we don't have an answer for him. Other than that they are not as superior as they looked.
    Who am gonna believe, you or my own lying eyes?

I'm not familiar with their receivers, but looks like Jordy would be a #3 on that team. Their wideouts are way quicker than our DBs. It's true that a lot can change in three months with injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Who am gonna believe, you or my own lying eyes?

I'm not familiar with their receivers, but looks like Jordy would be a #3 on that team. Their wideouts are way quicker than our DBs. It's true that a lot can change in three months with injuries.
    I'd love to see our WRs match up against Rollins, Randall and House.

Maybe somebody more expert than me can do this. If you combined Green Bay and Atlanta's WRs, what would be pecking order for top five?

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
    #Packers WR Randall Cobb, who left yesterday’s game with a shoulder injury, will have an MRI today to determine the severity, source said.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I have no idea why they do about the slot. Maybe make a trade?
    Work Jones in there as soon as possible. Maybe even give a few snaps to Evans.

Randall and House can battle it out for other edge corner.

There's time to do this. Packers won't face a road game with the combination of O-line, QB, running game, and stable of WRs that ATL has until maybe Pittsburgh. (Cowpokes may or may not have Elliot, and their receivers are not as good).