Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 2 @ Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Long Live The King!
    He looked like an octopus out there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Practice is overrated, 2017 Season Edition #1:

Fackrell and King are playing better than they practiced.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Defensive snap counts:

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Offensive snap counts:

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Demovsky

The Packers don't believe Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb or Mike Daniels have long-term injuries, but there are still awaiting all the test results. Mike McCarthy may have an update this evening when he holds his day-after-game press conference at 7 p.m. CT but they are likely to be considered day to day, week to week injuries like most soft tissue problems are.
    I hope this is not a Jimmy Nelson prognosis....

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/green...cons?ls=pftvod

PROFOOTBALLTALK ... Packers' early-season struggles continue in 2017

The Green Bay Packers got a reality check against the Atlanta Falcons, showing the team isn't over its early-season struggles that have haunted them over the past few years.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9...tlanta-falcons

It Isn’t Time for the Packers to Hit the Panic Button … Yet
    Despite the lopsided result, Green Bay showed progress in key areas of concern

BY: DANNY KELLY SEP 18, 2017, 9:33AM EDT

" Perceptions can change an awful lot in a week.

After watching the Packers dispatch the Seahawks last Sunday, Green Bay looked ready to take up the mantle as the class of the conference. ...."

" Flash forward a week, and as the fourth quarter kicked off in the Packers’ matchup with the Falcons on Sunday Night Football, Green Bay looked lost. They were trailing 34-10. Injuries had piled up. Rodgers had turned the ball over twice under the weight of the Falcons’ tireless pass rush, and the defense had found no answer for Atlanta’s target-rich and talented offense. In short, Atlanta had dominated in every way.

And sure, Rodgers engineered a pair of touchdown drives in the final frame to make the final score—34-23—somewhat respectable ....."

Please click on the LINK for the entire story.

Comment woodbuck27:

There was simply over the top too much placed on Aaron Rodgers broad shoulders. Why is it that the thing that is perfectly obvious gets 'just left' as it is in Green Bay? I still see a real concern and the Packers weakness at the Running Back Position. Can Ted Thompson get that fixed this season or do we have to wait 1...2...3 years? Get a real RB Ted !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    So what? You're still wrong. The point is that if Rodgers is the guy who makes the line, then he should play just as well behind Murphy and McCray as behind Bahktiari and Bulaga. But he didn't and he doesn't because you're wrong - the Packer O-line has been good in the past and was pretty good to start this season.

And they draft agile guys specifically to block for a mobile guy like Rogers. Maybe they give up a bit in the run game, but it's a passing league and they have the best QB, so they should play to their strengths.

Packers got rid of Sitton and Lang because they were getting too old and too beat up. Taylor has been fine and I don't know about Evans yet.

But, to summarize: 1) you're wrong 2) you didn't address the point.
    You're grasping at straws hahahaha. Draft agile guys? Just because Spriggs has less of a gut than the rest of the bunch doesn't make him agile - not much evidence of agility on any of them. Lack of power to move D Lines, though? There's plenty of evidence of that.

And in case you missed the Seattle game, Rodgers did pretty well with Murphy blocking (if you can call it that) instead of what Bulaga did. We'll see how it goes against Cincy if the two are called on in that game. Somehow, I don't see Rodgers having the problems he had against Atlanta.

The primary thing wrong with Sitton and Lang was they wanted more money. Lane Taylor has been as good as Sitton, even though he was a journeyman who came out of nowhere and is nothing special for talent or athleticism. Evans sure doesn't seem like a pro-bowler any more, but he's adequate in Green Bay - which is pretty much the point, isn't it? Don't get too many penalties, slow down the pass rush just a little bit, and Mr. Rodgers will do the rest.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Next Week and the Cincinnati Bengals:

Intriguing; bring on 'the ugly'.

Whoops !

1. Jones
    2. Nelson (healthy version)
    3. Adams
    4. Cobb
    5. Sanu
    The problem is the gap between Julio and Jordy is massive, whereas the gap between Jordy and and Sanu is relatively negligible. Nobody is scheming or game planning much for our skill position players. Which I think has proven to be an issue for years now.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...-playing-time/

“I thought Kevin did a lot of good things,” McCarthy said on Monday. “I thought he did good in his matchup opportunities. He’s a young man that had some injury things that he fought through in training camp. He’s definitely earned the opportunity to potentially play more.”

King played 46 snaps in Atlanta after being on the field for just six in the season opener. He matched up against All-Pro receiver Julio Jones on a number of snaps and held his own, breaking up a pass intended for Jones in one-on-one coverage in the end zone and another on a short crossing route early in the third quarter.

King could get a heavy dose of Bengals’ Pro Bowl receiver A.J. Green on Sunday at Lambeau Field.

McCarthy and defensive coordinator Dom Capers believe he’s ready for more snaps.

“He’s in a position where he’s done a number of good things with his opportunities, so if anything, he’s earned the right to potentially play more,” McCarthy said. “Smooth, confident athlete. He’s getting healthy. And he looks comfortable out there. So I like the progression Kevin is making.”

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...-playing-time/
    “I thought Kevin did a lot of good things,” McCarthy said on Monday. “I thought he did good in his matchup opportunities. He’s a young man that had some injury things that he fought through in training camp. He’s definitely earned the opportunity to potentially play more.”

King played 46 snaps in Atlanta after being on the field for just six in the season opener. He matched up against All-Pro receiver Julio Jones on a number of snaps and held his own, breaking up a pass intended for Jones in one-on-one coverage in the end zone and another on a short crossing route early in the third quarter.

King could get a heavy dose of Bengals’ Pro Bowl receiver A.J. Green on Sunday at Lambeau Field.

McCarthy and defensive coordinator Dom Capers believe he’s ready for more snaps.

“He’s in a position where he’s done a number of good things with his opportunities, so if anything, he’s earned the right to potentially play more,” McCarthy said. “Smooth, confident athlete. He’s getting healthy. And he looks comfortable out there. So I like the progression Kevin is making.”
    It's early, but I like the potential returns on King. It's hard to get difference makers picking at the end of the round. Think about all the Top 10 picks Atlanta is using to become the best offense in the NFL.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Being on the road was the worst situation for that O line. Unsure how loud it was, but some stadiums could make that intolerable.

If you mess with Rodgers protection, he gets antsy and sometimes looks like 2008 Rodgers. That leads to some inaccuracy and then drops. tex has one thing I agree with, Rodgers can make leaky protection look good. But he needs it to be predictable and not constant. It started out OK (they had a decent number of yards early) but got worse until the Atl D wore itself out.

I am not a fan of the offensive progression being Nelson for a while, then Cobb then when there is no other choice, Adams. Adams is the only dynamic one out there. Feed him.

Bennett and Rodgers are just not on the same page yet. It sorted itself out with Cook, it will with Bennett.

On defense, the DBs all look like they have never seen a crossing route. There is never anyone on the opposite side of the field to tattoo someone. Which tells me they are pressuring, but the pressure isn't getting home often enough.

House looked old at times and then got hurt. Randall is a willing tackler, but if you put a move on him, he reacts as though someone set off a firework. I don't see him surviving in the slot. Can you imagine the knot Edelman or Welker would put him in?

I would start Jones and King and live with it until they get better. Both are able tacklers in run support. Let's keep the number of problems to a minimum for now.
    Care to expand this thought a bit?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

1. Jones
    2. Nelson (healthy version)
    3. Adams
    4. Cobb
    5. Sanu
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...ons/678417001/
    But the greater advantage is at the skill positions on offense. In Julio Jones, the Falcons have the best receiver in the game. Their No. 2, Mohamed Sanu, might be as good as any of the Packers’ receivers.
    Eric Baranczyk saw it like me. I don't study the NFL, but my eyeballs yesterday said the Atlanta receivers are quick, good route runners.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

Lane Taylor has been as good as Sitton, even though he was a journeyman who came out of nowhere and is nothing special for talent or athleticism.
    Lane Taylor is not a journeyman who came out of nowhere. He was drafted by the Packers in 2013 and has developed nicely the past 3 seasons. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Lane Taylor is not a journeyman who came out of nowhere. He was drafted by the Packers in 2013 and has developed nicely the past 3 seasons. Just sayin'.
    Maybe Tex thought about the classical definition of journeyman; "a skilled worker who has successfully completed an official apprenticeship qualification in a building trade or craft".

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...ons/678417001/

Eric Baranczyk saw it like me. I don't study the NFL, but my eyeballs yesterday said the Atlanta receivers are quick, good route runners.
    He's big and he is a good route runner with decent hands.

His average value for 6 years in the League is 26. Cobb had 38 in four years and stands at 52 for six. Davante Adams is 19 after 3.

As red would say, the Packers are allergic to covering inside routes unless its Burnett or Hyde.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Care to expand this thought a bit?
    It might only be my imagination, but it seems like there is a WR pecking order this year that hurts Adams and is hurting the offense. There are always proven players, favorites and less established players, but this year, Adams seems to have gone to the back of the line again.

Adams has had some long droughts without targets. And we have seen a focus on Nelson, Cobb and Bennett. Heck, compared to snaps, Allison gets more targets each time he steps out onto the field. There might be something going on, but Adams has proven he can carry the load and make big plays.

Cobb has been effective, but except for one TD on the free play, Nelson and Bennett have had more limited success.

This is a roundabout way of saying throw more often to Adams. Of course, its only been 2 games.

His average value for 6 years in the League is 26.
    Please don't tell me this "average value" is some fantasy football thing. Say it ain't so.

I find opinions of what is seen on the field more interesting. Not that all opinions are equally well based. Things change year-to-year, and an observer can account for whether a player's productivity is due to his individual skill or team factors.