Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Packers Offense Game Plan

Packers Offense Game Plan

Ok, with the offensive line such a mess....
    Go right to the quick rhythm passing attack. The Bears have a stout D line; don't waste time trying to establish an already suspect run game. Their front 7 is pretty good, but they have a really suspect secondary, with a backup strong safety & a rookie free safety. Linebackers, meh.
    Use either Montgomery & Ripkowski in the backfield - but mostly to protect Rodgers - or to occasionally swing out for passes in the flat.
    Slants, buttonhooks, screens, outs. Don't even to try to ask sub-par tackles to block for extended periods of time.
    In effect, use the short passing game to be your rushing attack - and wear out the defense.
    If McCarthy comes out and the first play is the usual 1 or 2 yard gain to Montgomery,I fear it's gonna be a long night.
    We need to strike first (and often) and keep the Bears - with Glennon - in a catch-up mode.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

I agree, but you know he is going to try to run.

Just have to hope he gets creative in routes/formations. Rodgers needs to cooperate and get the ball out quickly.

It could all tumble out of control quickly, but the Bear's offense isn't going to score 30 unless the Packers' offense helps.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The pass should - here, for sure - set up the run.
    Only run after you have them on their heels.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    The pass should - here, for sure - set up the run.
    Only run after you have them on their heels.
    Did you see my very long confirmation that you would have needed to be alive in 1932-3 to see the Packers with an outright series lead versus the Bears?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

They're screwed. All is lost.

You can't lose top 4 OTs and scheme around it.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    punt early, punt often.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Go right to the quick rhythm passing attack. The Bears have a stout D line; don't waste time trying to establish an already suspect run game. Their front 7 is pretty good, but they have a really suspect secondary, with a backup strong safety & a rookie free safety. Linebackers, meh.
    Use either Montgomery & Ripkowski in the backfield - but mostly to protect Rodgers - or to occasionally swing out for passes in the flat.
    Slants, buttonhooks, screens, outs. Don't even to try to ask sub-par tackles to block for extended periods of time.
    In effect, use the short passing game to be your rushing attack - and wear out the defense.
    If McCarthy comes out and the first play is the usual 1 or 2 yard gain to Montgomery,I fear it's gonna be a long night.
    We need to strike first (and often) and keep the Bears - with Glennon - in a catch-up mode.

This was the early Mike Holmgren West Coast offense.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    They're screwed. All is lost.

You can't lose top 4 OTs and scheme around it.
    Well, 2 really. Hard to call Spriggs and Murphy 'top.' And hurt Bulaga wasn't looking too sparky either.

They could do OK with McCray, if they just had a reasonable LT. But it looks like that won't happen until Bacteria returns. Unless the new guy can play.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

This is pretty much what he did against the Bears last year on Thursday Night. Then it was because of injuries at the RB situation. Rodgers threw the ball 56 times. They ran the ball 23 times Monty with 9. Of course, that was with the O-Line intact. Will it work in this situation?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I think the Packers have lost 5 tackles if you include backups. Bulaga, Bach, Spriggs, Murphy and Barclay.

Blog Entries
    The Shadow Knows.

Hurts us even more since Rodgers love to hold onto the ball...need to get some short routes going and screen plays with Ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Hurts us even more since Rodgers love to hold onto the ball...need to get some short routes going and screen plays with Ty.
    Sure, but the defense knows this too

I did. And I resemble that remark.
    PBMax
    Did you see my very long confirmation that you would have needed to be alive in 1932-3 to see the Packers with an outright series lead versus the Bears?
    Last edited by The Shadow; 09-28-2017 at 10:07 AM.

I didn't read much of the discussion yet, but "typically" in the situation GB is in for injuries, teams would try to control the clock, run the ball, run screens, run draws, etc. I'm willing to bet McCarthy does none of that. Rodgers had happy feet last sunday, it'll be worse tonight. Will not be surprised to see a Bears upset tonight.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

and do all of the above from under center a lot more than usual. you have to try to run and be consistent about it. play action will slow some of that rush and keep line backers a little closer to the line of scrimmage.

Probably should move Rodgers a lot. At least make the d lineman run around a little bit before they kill him.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I am confident and fully trusting that Stubby will come up with a superior game plan to score a point or two against da Bears. I also believe the Dominator will install a hitherto unknown variation of the "nitro" package which will result in a shutout. Bears 0 - Packers Whatever.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

A quick passing game is tricky when they know the line is bad enough to eliminate the deep game. Without that, no run game, and no time to run the double routes, the offense will likely struggle. The crappy Bears CB's can just play press until Rodgers throws the ball away or gets squished.

A short passing game can only work if the Packers have receivers who can get open right off the line for a quick slant or quick out. I'm not sure any of the Packer receivers can do that.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    I didn't read much of the discussion yet, but "typically" in the situation GB is in for injuries, teams would try to control the clock, run the ball, run screens, run draws, etc. I'm willing to bet McCarthy does none of that. Rodgers had happy feet last sunday, it'll be worse tonight. Will not be surprised to see a Bears upset tonight.
    With our O line in shambles will it really be an upset if Chicago wins?