Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: to be two RBs or not two RBs

to be two RBs or not two RBs

I'm not going to panic over Monty's weak game. WTF, Barry Sanders had poor performances.
    But every other NFL team seems to be splitting carries between 2 backs. Maybe the blocking was shitty against Cincy, another back would suck too. But don't you want to give some fresh legs a shot?

I think Monty got banged up early in the game and toughed it out. That explains the lack of explosiveness. I use WebMD so I know about these things.

Blog Entries
    Williams had one carry for 6 yds. Monty played half assed, why not give the kid a few lugs? Monty looked totally fatigued at the end, he could use a bit of rest.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Williams had one carry for 6 yds. Monty played half assed, why not give the kid a few lugs? Monty looked totally fatigued at the end, he could use a bit of rest.
    That's stubby, he just doesn't get it.

Even in Adrian Peterson's prime, the Vikings always seemed to have another productive back who would mix it up. In addition to giving Daddy Peterson a blow, it was another wrinkle for the O.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    They have gone through that before, with plans to get the ball to Lacy or Starks falling through when M3 gets the no huddle going and the other guy was carrying the load. Usually it was Starks left holding the bad, but it was Lacy early in his career.

I bet Monty continues to dominate snaps until the O line gets healthier.

They could find Monty injured from the first half ding he got, or find him worn out from his high snap count (he was on pace for a RB record after last week) but I bet they wait.

He did not look like the same guy today. Much more hesitant, ran like he was worried about his injury. But M3 doesn't like making a switch if he hasn't worn out all options mid season.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Can't block, tentative runner, yeah he is comparable to AP and Sanders.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Would probably do better with Bulaga and Bakhtiari out there instead of Murphy and McCray, but yeah, he's been getting a LOT of snaps and the heat probably wore him out. Are the rookies not ready to siphon off snaps yet? They're gonna run Montgomery into the ground and be forced to play them at this rate.

The seemingly poor quality of our RBs is really poor quality in our O Line. That is true under the best circumstances and much more true with the injuries.

Montgomery has been decent the few times he got any blocking. In addition to that, we were playing from behind yesterday, and more passing was called for. Given the pathetic state of the O Line, about the only thing that was working was Rodgers' great mobility.

I'd like to see a little more of Aaron Jones and Davonte Mays, both of whom seemed to have as much potential or more than Williams in the preseason.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Would probably do better with Bulaga and Bakhtiari out there instead of Murphy and McCray, but yeah, he's been getting a LOT of snaps and the heat probably wore him out. Are the rookies not ready to siphon off snaps yet? They're gonna run Montgomery into the ground and be forced to play them at this rate.
    The rookies might be worse than Ty is at picking up blitzes so that is why they aren't seeing a lot of playing time just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    The rookies might be worse than Ty is at picking up blitzes so that is why they aren't seeing a lot of playing time just yet.
    Monty still has issues and the best blitz pickup is either Ripper or Jamaal Williams, who did it for 3 years in college.

Monty missed two that I saw (one I was certain of) and I was kinda surprised M3 didn't stick Ripper out there to catch a break. I think someone posted this in the Game Thread.

M3 doesn't like going with unpracticed items in the game plan though, so I bet he thought Monty would be able to make hay with screens, which were plentiful in the second half.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    M3 doesn't like going with unpracticed items in the game plan though, so I bet he thought Monty would be able to make hay with screens, which were plentiful in the second half.
    The inside passes and screen should have worked; the Cincy D line was absolutely sprinting to Rodgers. You could tell they didn't care if the Packers tried to run or screen. Problems were that the O-linemen were really bad getting to their spots, and the pass rush was so fast it was blowing up lanes for the screens.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Can't block, tentative runner, yeah he is comparable to AP and Sanders.
    Funny how people love to pile on. That OL was a complete shit show. Last year the critique was he can't take the pounding required of an NFL back. This year he leads all RBs in snap count. He did just fine with what he had to work with. He isn't AP, admitted, but for my money I love his versatility. We are lucky we have him right now. MM is leaving him in there because he fears for ARods life.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

And incidentally he wasn't "missing blitz pickups" he was compensating for a leaky OL. BIG difference.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Funny how people love to pile on. That OL was a complete shit show. Last year the critique was he can't take the pounding required of an NFL back. This year he leads all RBs in snap count. He did just fine with what he had to work with. He isn't AP, admitted, but for my money I love his versatility. We are lucky we have him right now. MM is leaving him in there because he fears for ARods life.
    I love his abilities in the pass game and the options/mismatches he creates. But he's averaging 3 yards per carry. That ain't all on the OL. Seattle's is shit but Carson is averaging 4.5/carry.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I love his abilities in the pass game and the options/mismatches he creates. But he's averaging 3 yards per carry. That ain't all on the OL. Seattle's is shit but Carson is averaging 4.5/carry.
    Seattle is built to run first. Carson also has some good yardage on plays where the world was expecting a run. Also, I'm not saying we wouldn't be fine with a lot of other RBs, I'm simply saying not a lot of RBs would be fine with us right now.

Montgomery is a good back and his versatility is important. I'm guessing that's why he's getting so many snaps -- MM wants to dictate/exploit matchups. Would like to see them work the rookies in more though. Aaron Jones can run routes too.

Montgomery and Bennett had something like 11 catches for 27 yards...that's not gonna get it done. Those are the guys who are supposed to really cause matchup problems. I put at least some of it on the leaky OL, and hope it's nothing more.

His injury did not help. They must not trust Williams as much as it looked like they might after his preseason.

Didn't Rodgers praise the kid's pass blocking during camp?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Montgomery is a good back and his versatility is important. I'm guessing that's why he's getting so many snaps -- MM wants to dictate/exploit matchups. Would like to see them work the rookies in more though. Aaron Jones can run routes too.

Montgomery and Bennett had something like 11 catches for 27 yards...that's not gonna get it done. Those are the guys who are supposed to really cause matchup problems. I put at least some of it on the leaky OL, and hope it's nothing more.
    Monty did have that catch were ARod threw it to him 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage with a guy right on him.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    But he wasn't doing shit to protect Rodgers. If they are going to have a back in there that really can't run, have one that at least can block. This just validates those of us that say he couldn't handle the pounding of a fulltime RB. He is already wearing down mentally and physically. They have the players to give him breaks, stubby just tsn't good enough to figure it out.