Thread: McCarthy's Offense: McAdoo Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    How about this analogy from basketball. You know the phrase "he can make his own shot" - the better/great players can get open and then have an easier shot. Packer wide receivers lacked this during the drought. Jennings could make his own shot, that is, get open against press man coverage. But he declined/left. Rodgers could do the equivalent with Nelson on sideline outs and comebacks, but when Nelson got injured, both options were gone. I don't think Nelson will ever return to top form, so it's essential to run those other schemes. Or maybe draft a WR who can get open.

It would be nice if they'd use Bennett up the seam instead of the short outs and 3 yard buttonhooks.
    Rodgers does like to often wait and see if he can make the bigger play and passes on throwing to the open player underneath. I also think Bennett's numbers will improve once our starting tackles are back and he doesn't have to block as much.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Rodgers does like to often wait and see if he can make the bigger play and passes on throwing to the open player underneath. I also think Bennett's numbers will improve once our starting tackles are back and he doesn't have to block as much.
    I agree. The problems with the O line explain a lot. Much like Rodgers gets comfortable with his top receiver (Jennings, Nelson), knowing each other's nuances, the same could be said for Rodgers and Bacteria - Rodgers moves in the pocket in a particular way, and Bac often can play cat and mouse with the pass rusher, just keeping him at bay while Rodgers moves around back there. The fill-in guys have either been incompetent (Murphy, Spriggs) or more conventional (Taybor™), but none have been as athletic as Bac and allowed for those 'extended pockets' that are such a feature of the Rodgers-led offense. The way that Rodgers-Bakhtiari relationship works is really an art form.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck