Thread: McCarthy's Offense: McAdoo Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Teams still try to man up with 2 deep. They've gotten more effective at attacking it with guys who are healthy and can separate on quick hits to beat man-on-man, which brings the safeties up more and gets LBers on their heels a bit. That helps the running game and they also get some better opportunities later on to hit intermediate routes and get over the top on occasion. It's not something McCarthy just figured out.

Blog Entries
    The great Packer Offensive Drought of 2015 and 16 was also driven by more than changes to the offseason schedule or film. Receivers were hurt and the depth at WR was sparse. There was no TE and no middle of the field game. Patler will be along shortly to remind us that M3 once said Favre loved throwing into the middle of the field, Rodgers loved going outside. Without a personnel advantage in the middle, most of Rodgers looks go outside, giving the defense an advantage.
    Directional Pass Frequency
    .................................................. .......Left.....Middle....Right
    2016 "Great O Drought" (weeks 1-11)....38%....23%....38%
    2016 "Run the Table" (weeks (12-21).....39%....18%....42%
    2017 so far..........................................42%.. ..21%.....38%

When the offense struggled, they threw down the middle of the field more often (though less effectively) than since it's returned to higher productivity.

Blog Entries
    This turn around has had more to do with McCarthy tightening up the leash (slightly and often temporarily depending on offensive flow) on Rodgers inclination to improvise and the receivers' ability to separate quickly vs. man coverage than any "creativity" he gained, or lack of it previously. He's a creative offensive mind, which was partially what caused some problems during the drought. The innovative "second level" attack is his brainchild, but like all innovations, there are often bumps in the road and adjustments to be made.

Rodgers and the whole offense benefits from some structure early, and then he can open up the second level attack once they get things going. The full arsenal of healthy receivers makes all the difference too.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post

Rodgers and the whole offense benefits from some structure early, and then he can open up the second level attack once they get things going. The full arsenal of healthy receivers makes all the difference too.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    This turn around has had more to do with McCarthy tightening up the leash (slightly and often temporarily depending on offensive flow) on Rodgers inclination to improvise and the receivers' ability to separate quickly vs. man coverage than any "creativity" he gained, or lack of it previously. He's a creative offensive mind, which was partially what caused some problems during the drought. The innovative "second level" attack is his brainchild, but like all innovations, there are often bumps in the road and adjustments to be made.

I think this is true for this year with a banged up O line and featuring quicker throws. The Packers are near the top of the League in throws under 5 yards.

But I suspect that with Tackle health, Rodgers will have his freedom back. I don't think McCarthy works against that, I think he encourages it unless its going to get him killed because of 4 Guards on the O line.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.