Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    tex, you really need to start an Aaron Jones crowing thread. Everyone is waiting on it
    I've been crowing about him pretty regularly, just no separate thread. Actually, I'm just now coming over to the p.o.v. that he should start instead of Montgomery - but both of them and Mays too are light years ahead of Jamal Williams.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Tex, it's like this: A month or two ago, you were saying Hundley is the next Dak Prescott. I thought that was pretty stupid, so I said "ya, and Aaron Jones is the next Ezekiel Emanuel" to which you said "Damn Right!" I was saying in the game thread that you would surely be bragging about being right after this game. But no, apparently you are mellowing with senility, and you forgot all about it.
    It must be senility kicking in, as I don't remember the conversation. I stand by it, though, that Hundley could be right there with Prescott (and also Dashaun Watson). It's still early to say, but Aaron Jones could be not that far from Elliott (I doubt I called him Emanuel hahahaha). Now that I think about it, the guy I compared to Elliott was Jonathan Taylor of the Badgers - that comparison is looking pretty good too.

As for Jones, just like with our receivers, Just like our sad sack O Line, maybe even just like our D, ALL of them have the huge advantage of playing with Aaron - Rodgers, I mean. With Aaron Jones, though, it's a lot more of a Symbiotic relationship. If Jones really can continue to be a running threat, those play action passes and really the whole passing game will be more effective too. That was apparent yesterday already.

Not to be picky, but Corey Linsley seemed to be snapping the ball low all day. I wonder whether Rodgers likes it that way or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Aaron Fucking Jones. Monty is a backup now.
    Jones was wonderful yesterday. Let's see how he looks against the Queens on Sunday.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It must be senility kicking in, as I don't remember the conversation. I stand by it, though, that Hundley could be right there with Prescott (and also Dashaun Watson). It's still early to say, but Aaron Jones could be not that far from Elliott (I doubt I called him Emanuel hahahaha). Now that I think about it, the guy I compared to Elliott was Jonathan Taylor of the Badgers - that comparison is looking pretty good too.

As for Jones, just like with our receivers, Just like our sad sack O Line, maybe even just like our D, ALL of them have the huge advantage of playing with Aaron - Rodgers, I mean. With Aaron Jones, though, it's a lot more of a Symbiotic relationship. If Jones really can continue to be a running threat, those play action passes and really the whole passing game will be more effective too. That was apparent yesterday already.
    Tex, this post is shocking! You are actually advocating running the ball to set up the pass? This is complete heresy coming from you, Mr. Pass First. hahahahaha
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Aaron Jones did look really fast and decisive compared to Monty. I was pretty impressed with him.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Jones was wonderful yesterday. Let's see how he looks against the Queens on Sunday.
    He will run ring around that overrated defense. They are susceptible to the run as of late and I think Jones will do well.
    Last edited by Tony Oday; 10-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Tex, this post is shocking! You are actually advocating running the ball to set up the pass? This is complete heresy coming from you, Mr. Pass First. hahahahaha
    I don't see how you get to that from what I said. It still all begins with Aaron Rodgers being super and being the first option. Having a better run option in your back pocket. though, just makes the passing more effective.

Now if you're the Wisconsin Badgers, it's a different story. With their dominant line, super RB(s), and piece of crap QB, I'm all for "run first". With the Packers, though, you've got an O Line that rises to mediocre on a good day, just now, a probably very very good RB, and the greatest QB in the history of the world, so "pass first" is obvious.

More accurately, though, you take what the defense is giving you - we couldn't do that before because we couldn't run decently even when the D was set up to stop the pass. Now, we can do just about anything - assuming Jones is not just a flash in the pan.

I don't see how you get to that from what I said. It still all begins with Aaron Rodgers being super and being the first option. Having a better run option in your back pocket. though, just makes the passing more effective.

Now if you're the Wisconsin Badgers, it's a different story. With their dominant line, super RB(s), and piece of crap QB, I'm all for "run first". With the Packers, though, you've got an O Line that rises to mediocre on a good day, just now, a probably very very good RB, and the greatest QB in the history of the world, so "pass first" is obvious.

More accurately, though, you take what the defense is giving you - we couldn't do that before because we couldn't run decently even when the D was set up to stop the pass. Now, we can do just about anything - assuming Jones is not just a flash in the pan.
    I'm sort of a believer that great RB's are born not manufactured. Jones has the instinct for seeing the hole, for hesitating at the right time, for turning on the jets at the right moment, for following his blockers, etc. etc. It all seems 2nd nature to him. Now maybe RB experience has ingrained these things into Jones. Maybe Monty will improve at them with a ton more carries. I don't know. But I think Jones is the real deal. As for the Badger RB, Johathan Taybor, he reminds me of Emmitt Smith.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'm sort of a believer that great RB's are born not manufactured. Jones has the instinct for seeing the hole, for hesitating at the right time, for turning on the jets at the right moment, for following his blockers, etc. etc. It all seems 2nd nature to him. Now maybe RB experience has ingrained these things into Jones. Maybe Monty will improve at them with a ton more carries. I don't know. But I think Jones is the real deal. As for the Badger RB, Johathan Taybor, he reminds me of Emmitt Smith.
    Jones is willing to hit that cutback lane, that's just instinctive. Not only that, but hit it fast. He easily created 30-40 more yards than Monty would have gotten with the same blocking. I've been really surprised by how well he looks so far. Hopefully we get to see a lot more of him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I agree completely about RBs in general and Jones in particular - the jump cuts stand out to me, because holes are rare with the Packer O Line, and if it doesn't open where you are, you have to go to where it's open - a concept alien to Williams and to a lesser extent, even Montgomery. I really want to see more of Mays too.

I had that same thought about Jonathan Taylor being similar to Emmitt Smith - who is similar to Ezekial Elliott. Elliott is faster, and I think Taylor is also. As fast as the hurdles champ of the state of Ohio? I don't know - but maybe.

I agree completely about RBs in general and Jones in particular - the jump cuts stand out to me, because holes are rare with the Packer O Line, and if it doesn't open where you are, you have to go to where it's open - a concept alien to Williams and to a lesser extent, even Montgomery. I really want to see more of Mays too.

I had that same thought about Jonathan Taylor being similar to Emmitt Smith - who is similar to Ezekial Elliott. Elliott is faster, and I think Taylor is also. As fast as the hurdles champ of the state of Ohio? I don't know - but maybe.
    Elliott 6'0" 225 lbs. 4.47 40 yd; Taylor 5'11" 208 lbs. 4.42 40 yd; Smith 5'9" 210 lbs. 4.5 40 yd.

Elliott (I doubt I called him Emanuel hahahaha).
    I just noticed this. Ezekial Emanual is the guy who largely designed Obamacare (not Jonathan Gruber.) He is the brother of Rahm Emanuel. I had Ezekial moment.

I'm sort of a believer that great RB's are born not manufactured.
    This is clearly true because so many RBs excel in college as freshman, and quite a few NFL RB rookies are good.

Run to daylight, baby!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I just noticed this. Ezekial Emanual is the guy who largely designed Obamacare (not Jonathan Gruber.) He is the brother of Rahm Emanuel. I had Ezekial moment.
    There you go injecting politics again hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Run to daylight, baby!
    I wish I said that!

Maxie, regarding your comparative stats: yeah, Taylor is smaller than Elliott and about the same size as Emmitt, but his 40 time is close, actually faster than Elliott and a lot faster than Emmitt, and I think that is more relevant. His running style reminds me of both.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5650607-da...ty?a_aid=36476

Damarious Randall Offers Ridiculous Explanation For Stupid Penalty

BY: Nick Rodriguez ... 09 OCT 2017

Comment woodbuck27: What is this man on !>

This isn't a bold prediction It will be soon bye bye Damarious Randall. Watch for it !

Why? People like him seldom grow up fast enough to even imagine acting somewhat normal.

Why? He doesn't own his own behaviour.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    This is too COOL.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I doubt they give up on Randall anytime soon. He's smallish, but there have been some great Corners who were small. I think it's more likely he improves and begins to justify being a #1 pick. As for the extraneous crap, that's a big "who cares" so long as he makes some plays and doesn't get beat too many times.