Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34

Thread: Official Minnesota Vikings Game Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It was an easy call for me. I have seen numerous broken collar bones in hockey, including to one of my sons, caused the same way. As explained by an ortho to me, with an extended arm jammed the way it was, the force is transmitted to the collar bone, which can break quite easily.
    I saw the replay again after my post and I see exactly what your saying and the transmission of force from the hand >>> up the arm to >>> the shoulder and collarbone.

I even saw a flashback (in my memory) and the first time this happened to Aaron Rodgers.

Same side of the field and about the same distance out of the pocket and maybe at a greater angle to the LOS.

Lightning striking twice. Really bad news for The Green Bay Packers and Packer Nation. This one sucks so bad as Aaron's time is closing to it's end after this specific re-occurrence. This one really has to be hurting so many and REALLY PACKERS.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I didn't think so, just fell on top of him.
    I disagree. He engaged his core and bent slightly forward as he made the hit, continuing to drive his feet. You could look at it and say he was following through on a tackle but there was no reason to follow through there.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

If he was trying to drive him into the ground, it would have been a lot more violent than it was. Of course he was attempting to follow through on the tackle, that's what defenders do, given the opportunity. As I wrote before, I was surprised there was no flag, but I'm not offended that there wasn't.

A few years ago the consideration used to be that after the QB threw if a defender could hold up or lessen the blow, he had to. That became difficult to determine when QBs were on the run and a defender was running at full speed to get there. In response the league limited the protections after a QB leaves the pocket. I think that is where this play ended up. In the pocket, it would have been a penalty. With Rodgers on the run, not so clear.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    He gave him a solid hit and landed on him with force. I think that's uncontroversial.

I think he knew the ball had been released, could have let up, but didn't. He got in a good hard legal hit and KOed Rodgers. Sucks to be us.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

If he was trying to drive him into the ground, it would have been a lot more violent than it was. Of course he was attempting to follow through on the tackle, that's what defenders do, given the opportunity. As I wrote before, I was surprised there was no flag, but I'm not offended that there wasn't.

A few years ago the consideration used to be that after the QB threw if a defender could hold up or lessen the blow, he had to. That became difficult to determine when QBs were on the run and a defender was running at full speed to get there. In response the league limited the protections after a QB leaves the pocket. I think that is where this play ended up. In the pocket, it would have been a penalty. With Rodgers on the run, not so clear.
    If that tackle was even 1-2 seconds later maybe Packer fans have a complaint.

As it went down...NO and having any positive impact as the NFL does see it now and 'out of the pocket 'contact with the QB after a pass.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    He gave him a solid hit and landed on him with force. I think that's uncontroversial.

I think he knew the ball had been released, could have let up, but didn't. He got in a good hard legal hit and KOed Rodgers. Sucks to be us.
    This is really the bottom line. The rest is just an exercise in semantic analysis about how much force is needed to constitute "driving" and the connotations that word carries in our personal experiences.
    Last edited by denverYooper; 10-15-2017 at 09:55 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.