Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Packers Second Round Pick Josh Jackson

2018 Packers Second Round Pick Josh Jackson

Green Bay Packers, CB, Josh Jackson, Iowa
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Bio:
    First-year starter who was a unanimous First Team All-America selection and led the nation with eight interceptions as a junior, returning two for touchdowns while making 48 tackles and breaking up 18 passes. Combined to make 18 tackles with six pass breakups in his first two seasons with the Hawkeyes.

Pos:
    Terrific cover corner who burst on the scene in 2017. Battles receivers from the snap of the ball, shows a quick transition off the line and stays on the receiver’s hip out of breaks. Plays with balance and body control, effectively tracks the ball in the air and shows terrific hands for the interception. Keeps the action in front of him, has a great burst to the ball and effectively times his pass defenses. Possesses nice length and athleticism.

Neg:
    Late to react on occasion. Struggles making plays with his back to the ball. Not forceful on the blitz.

Analysis:
    Jackson comes off a tremendous junior campaign and moves towards the draft as one of the higher-rated cornerbacks. He possesses the size and upside to develop into a starter at the next level but presently is most effective facing the action and must improve making plays with his back to the ball.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Code:
    Ht	Wt	40	20	10	Ben	Vert	Broad	Shut	Cone
    6-0	196	4.48	2.61	1.57	18	38	10'03"	4.03	6.86

Ya da ya da ya da

Guys got all weather skills.

Great pick.

Jackson versus Michigan State

Jackson versus Ohio State

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    It will be interesting to see how he plays when he has to match up against a QB with talent.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

When the choice seemed like Ward or Jackson, I favored Jackson. I'm excited about Alexander, though, as somebody with the best of both Ward and Jackson.

The best Corner year before last, and the guy I wish we had kept was Ladarius Gunter. Jackson is similar (hopefully a lot better) - heavy on instinct/light on speed.

There's that old saying, "you can never have two many good Corners". Well, the Packers are certainly pushing the limit on that. What they really need is for one or more of these guys to be a Great - not just good - Corner. Either Alexander or Jackson or Kevin King could be that ...... or they could all flounder.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Needs better hips.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The best Corner year before last, and the guy I wish we had kept was Ladarius Gunter.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Packer Report @PackerReport
    Gutekunst on Jackson: "He's a long corner with excellent ball skills." Had breakout senior season. Has knack "of going and getting it" when ball is in the air.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Should've drafted Donte Jackson instead. J-Jax looks like a poor man's Al Harris.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

FWIW: Pro Football Weekly had him rated as the top corner in the draft

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    FWIW: Pro Football Weekly had him rated as the top corner in the draft
    Did you watch his highlight film? The guy's ball skills are off the charts. Amazing! He was a high-rated WR coming up.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Packer Report @PackerReport
    Gutekunst on Jackson: "He's a long corner with excellent ball skills." Had breakout senior season. Has knack "of going and getting it" when ball is in the air.
    By "breakout" season I think he means first season, doesn't he?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    When the choice seemed like Ward or Jackson, I favored Jackson. I'm excited about Alexander, though, as somebody with the best of both Ward and Jackson.

The best Corner year before last, and the guy I wish we had kept was Ladarius Gunter. Jackson is similar (hopefully a lot better) - heavy on instinct/light on speed.

There's that old saying, "you can never have two many good Corners". Well, the Packers are certainly pushing the limit on that. What they really need is for one or more of these guys to be a Great - not just good - Corner. Either Alexander or Jackson or Kevin King could be that ...... or they could all flounder.
    You mean "founder", don't you? hahahahaha

(Sorry, you are a stickler on such things, so I couldn't resist! hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Did you watch his highlight film? The guy's ball skills are off the charts. Amazing! He was a high-rated WR coming up.
    The comparison to Sherman seems pretty accurate. He has a knack for coming off his own guy, giving help, and getting the ball. I didn't look up who Iowa played in non-conference, but suffice it to say, this guy pretty much hasn't played against an actual QB yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The comparison to Sherman seems pretty accurate. He has a knack for coming off his own guy, giving help, and getting the ball. I didn't look up who Iowa played in non-conference, but suffice it to say, this guy pretty much hasn't played against an actual QB yet.
    I think the comparison to Sherman is not 100%. Despite what others think, Sherman can tackle. ...I've seen him do it once or twice. hahaha

GBPG: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...cks/552404002/

AGE: 22 HT: 6-0 3/8 WT: 196 40-yard dash: 4.56 HOMETOWN: Corinth, Texas

LOWDOWN: Jackson was a ballhawk for the Hawkeyes who led the nation with eight interceptions last season. He also was tops in the country with 26 passes defensed. Two of those interceptions came against the Wisconsin Badgers and both were returned for touchdowns in the Badgers' 38-14 victory Nov. 11. Jackson also had three interceptions in an upset win over Ohio State. His long arms (31 1/8 inches) help with his ball skills. At 6-0 3/8, 196 pounds, Jackson also has the size to joust with receivers at the line of scrimmage. However, a 4.56 time in the 40-yard dash raised questions about how his speed would translate to the NFL. "Strong, smart and can jam you at the line of scrimmage with those long arms," Packers scout Alonzo Dotson said of Jackson. He came to Iowa as a wide receiver out of Lake Dallas (Texas) High School and redshirted in 2014. He moved from receiver to cornerback in the spring before the 2015 season. "It was the best thing for me. I thought I would be a better corner," Jackson said. Jackson was a backup for two seasons before his breakout season last year. He also finished 2017 with with 48 tackles, a forced fumble, and a blocked kick. He had a 38-inch vertical leap and put up 18 reps on the bench press. (Draft data via NFL.com).

QUICK TAKE: Green Bay continues revamping its secondary after taking Louisville corner Jaire Alexander in Round 1. Jackson picked off eight passes last year, though he doesn't have a ton of experience at corner. His ball skills might also make him a candidate to eventually play safety. Has drawn comparisons to Richard Sherman, though Jackson (6-0, 196) isn't as big. (Nate Davis, USA TODAY)

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS: In his first year as a starter, he established himself as a dominant defensive back with a Football Bowl Subdivision high of eight interceptions. Jackson's rare ball skills and aggressive mindset could make quarterbacks hesitate when deciding whether to throw his way. The NFL's more refined route runners could provide a challenge for Jackson, who only transitioned to corner from receiver in 2015, and his pedestrian 40-yard dash (4.56 seconds) at the combine might be a slight concern for some teams.

Best pick in the draft for us, this kid is going to be special. Our secondary is loaded with talent now, something Pettine will need when calling his blitz packages.