Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 nfl draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma
    Hmmmm........ Looks good to me!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That is part of why I think others are right and this was discussed about the time M3 got his one year extension.

Part of the problem of being a lame duck is getting good staff. In fact, I would be impressed if they landed their top choices.
    I wouldn’t on the defensive side of the ball. If I am an up and coming talent as a position coach I’d take the job in a second.

If you can imorove a D that performed poorly last year and the O still sputters and the new GM decides to can MM you would be in position for the HC spot at GB. If you improve the D and the O gets back to its usual, the Packers will make a deep run in the playoffs and other teams will start looking at you for their HC job.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I wouldn’t on the defensive side of the ball. If I am an up and coming talent as a position coach I’d take the job in a second.

If you can imorove a D that performed poorly last year and the O still sputters and the new GM decides to can MM you would be in position for the HC spot at GB. If you improve the D and the O gets back to its usual, the Packers will make a deep run in the playoffs and other teams will start looking at you for their HC job.
    I don't know. Most in demand coordinator candidates are looking for some stability.

I could see a guy getting a promotion saying the hell with it and taking the risk. Either internal (Perry, Whitt) or external position coach who has been waiting.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    I don't know. Most in demand coordinator candidates are looking for some stability.

I could see a guy getting a promotion saying the hell with it and taking the risk. Either internal (Perry, Whitt) or external position coach who has been waiting.

I've joked many times (but was serious) that I'd hire you as a campaign manager in a second and you'd be great whether you believed in my cause or not

There are legit DC's out there. There are legit Personnell guys out there.

I won't be the only one seriously bummed if we hire Cappie Russ and a DC from the inside when there are proven guys out there.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I've joked many times (but was serious) that I'd hire you as a campaign manager in a second and you'd be great whether you believed in my cause or not

There are legit DC's out there. There are legit Personnell guys out there.

I won't be the only one seriously bummed if we hire Cappie Russ and a DC from the inside when there are proven guys out there.
    I am not advocating it. I was saying the reason you extend M3 is to avoid those being your ONLY choices.

I want Fangio or maybe the Arizona guy Bettchner. Would also take Manusky if they could shake him lose (he and M3 are friends).

Its possible Whitt (Woodson and Harris believe in him, which isn't bad) and Perry (who while with Pittsburgh was heavily reported to be in line for a DC job) might be great. I just don't know how to tell. Whitt's guys seem more organized than Perry, but who can tell?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I gotta be faster than Kendricks and more elusive than RichRod.

Here's my uneducated wishlist for DC, in order:

1. Bettchner
    2. Fangio
    3. Whitt

Here's my uneducated wishlist for GM, in order:

1. I have no idea
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I know DT is probabaly the last thing we need, but Payne from Alabama is a scary looking dude

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Here's my uneducated wishlist for DC, in order:

1. Bettchner
    2. Fangio
    3. Whitt

Here's my uneducated wishlist for GM, in order:

1. I have no idea
    So if the Packers hire a 4-3 cover two scheme coordinator they will have to look at drafting different personnel. They need a fast athletic middle linebacker which they don't have. They don't have any 5 tech or 7 tech ends. The secondary should be in better shape as communication is a bit more straight forward. They can basically cut their two starting outside linebackers as Perry's skill set won't transfer and regardless of scheme Matthews should be cut. Sure there is a cap hit on Perry, but he is over paid

So if the Packers hire a 4-3 cover two scheme coordinator they will have to look at drafting different personnel. They need a fast athletic middle linebacker which they don't have. They don't have any 5 tech or 7 tech ends. The secondary should be in better shape as communication is a bit more straight forward. They can basically cut their two starting outside linebackers as Perry's skill set won't transfer and regardless of scheme Matthews should be cut. Sure there is a cap hit on Perry, but he is over paid
    If they switch to the 4-3, Perry will be your pass rushing RDE and Matthews will be the SOLB. Ryan might get a run at MLB but in coverage it will be a mess and they will need an upgrade in physical talent. Martinez will get a look at WOLB and they would prefer to put him there, but he might have to be the Mike. Thomas might have to man the Will.

But they won't be in a 4-3 base much. Most of the snaps will be Daniels-Clark-Perry with the 3 LBs.

If Josh Jones puts it together, can he function as that fast middle linebacker?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

If Josh Jones puts it together, can he function as that fast middle linebacker?
    You have to take on a center or guard if you are alone in there. He would have to be a Will.

You have to take on a center or guard if you are alone in there. He would have to be a Will.
    How big is Arizona's middle LB? Isn't he around 220? (I could be waaaaay off on that.)

How big is Arizona's middle LB? Isn't he around 220? (I could be waaaaay off on that.)
    They list both Karlos Dansby and Deone Bucannon as starting ILB's. Bucannon weight 211, Dansby 250. I think they play a hybrid defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    They list both Karlos Dansby and Deone Bucannon as starting ILB's. Bucannon weight 211, Dansby 250. I think they play a hybrid defense.
    I think that is the case. When I have seen them (him) he is not in there alone.

Which poster was big into believing that the Packers had moved slightly at least toward analytics to measure athletic performance and explosion? SPARQ I think one metric was called?

Because I found another true believe on Twitter. His definition of analytics is off, though in the specific case of the draft it might apply. Not sure how much data he has on the players, but here you go:

Kornélios Taylor @iKornelios
    High Athletic Scores Got The Following #Packers Drafted Earlier Than Maybe They Should’ve:

Jason Spriggs
    Kyler Fackrell
    Damarious Randall
    Quinten Rollins

Analytics is a math formula created to quantify production combined w/ combine athletic scores to identify special players.

He's also big into believing OLbs/DEs in 4-3 and 3-4 pay vastly different roles which is too simplistic. There are some takeoff differences between a 2 point and 3 point stance, but Brooks and Perry aren't in coverage much. Not too sold on that part of his posts, but he has a great question for Guteus Maximus:

If I were a #Packers beat reporter attending the NFL Combine the real question to ask isn’t the basic questions you ask every combine about the teams biggest needs. If you want to write a great informative article, ask GUTE: analytics vs film, and it’s role in hitting on picks.

Who are the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round receivers in this draft? I think the Packers are far more likely to sign a defender than a WR in free agency, and they desperately need them. I would have zero problem with getting rid of both Cobb and Nelson, and bringing in some young, speedy talent.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    He's also big into believing OLbs/DEs in 4-3 and 3-4 pay vastly different roles which is too simplistic. There are some takeoff differences between a 2 point and 3 point stance, but Brooks and Perry aren't in coverage much. Not too sold on that part of his posts, but he has a great question for Guteus Maximus:

If I were a #Packers beat reporter attending the NFL Combine the real question to ask isn’t the basic questions you ask every combine about the teams biggest needs. If you want to write a great informative article, ask GUTE: analytics vs film, and it’s role in hitting on picks.
    Clearly TT was Eastwood and Eliot is the Matt Lillard character in 'Trouble with Curve' meme. If what you are saying about recent picks is right, either TT got infected with the analytics bug, or others were running the draft show. Thus, your question is hugely important - which side won out in the power reorganization? Is Gute closer to Eastwood or Lillard? What kind of Terminator will he be? Heaven help us if he's Justin Timberlake.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

The Packers have the 14th pick. It seems that the first round will be heavy for the offensive line with guards and tackles. Some are rated very high in mock drafts, but you know that no GM wants to take a guard with a top 10 pick, top 25 for that matter. Linebacker seems deep in this draft with maybe 6-8 of them mocked in the first round. The Packers could get lucky and be in position to land another top flight corner.

Just off the top of my head, this is the guy I think the Packers should draft, if the draft was tomorrow

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma

Watch GuttyKut go for the highest-rated guy and land an offensive guard, at which point we will be reduced to chanting "Steve Hutchinson, Steve Hutchinson" over and over and over.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack