Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    40: Urlacher 4.61 Vander Esch 4.65 Edmunds 4.54

Broad: Urlacher 122 Vander Esch 124 Edmunds 117

Bench: Urlacher 27 Vander Esch 20 Edmunds 19

Vertical: Urlacher 34 Vander Esch 39.5 Edmunds N/A

3 Cone: Urlacher 6.94 Vander Esch 6.88 Edmunds N/A

60 Yd: Urlacher 11.10 Vander Esch 11.57 Edmunds N/A

Vander Esch's overall athleticism is pretty good. Assuming you think Urlacher was athletic enough.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    40: Urlacher 4.61 Vander Esch 4.65 Edmunds 4.54

Broad: Urlacher 122 Vander Esch 124 Edmunds 117

Bench: Urlacher 27 Vander Esch 20 Edmunds 19

Vertical: Urlacher 34 Vander Esch 39.5 Edmunds N/A

3 Cone: Urlacher 6.94 Vander Esch 6.88 Edmunds N/A

60 Yd: Urlacher 11.10 Vander Esch 11.57 Edmunds N/A

Vander Esch's overall athleticism is pretty good. Assuming you think Urlacher was athletic enough.
    Guess time will tell.

But I'm betting Vander Esch career will be more like Ryan's than Urlacher's.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Guess time will tell.

But I'm betting Vander Esch career will be more like Ryan's than Urlacher's.
    I think Vander esch's floor is much higher than Ryan's ceiling.

Ryan needs to be cut.
    wist

Matthews has ceased to be a singular pass rush threat from OLB. He very rarely beats tackles anymore, and its been going that way for a while.

His motor, pursuit and speed are still fine. He's still a big plus on defense. He's not as good versus the run as Perry, but he has improved since the spinOrama fails versus Kaepernick.

His pass rush is fine as a second player, he is normally in the pocket and if someone moves the QB off his normal line, he will beat any blocker to the new path. But you need someone to scare the QB off his set and CMIII doesn't do that anymore. In hindsight its kind of predictable because his father was much the same way. Always close, but not dominant in pass rush.

Perry looked like he was going to be that disruptor, but he never has a full season with that kind of production. They have lots of pieces (Daniels is good too), but they need someone to wreak havoc with the pocket immediately and don't have it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

As for a difference maker at LB... I'm looking at Landry.
    wist

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Vander Esch can be a second round pick. His athleticism doesn't transfer on the film I just watched of him. I don't see him being an immediate upgrade over Martinez, sure he is better than Ryan, but you don't need to use the 14th pick in the draft to find a guy better than Ryan.

Roquan Smith isn't polished either, but his athleticism shows up on film. He can cover a back or even a slot receiver, but will get eaten up by blockers. He keeps himself involved in plays, has a motor. His arm tackles will cost him at the next level. His greatest attribute is that his speed allows him to make plays all over the field. He is not a plugger type of ILB. His athleticism will be a plus when looking at matchups against the opposition. He can stay on the field during passing downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Vander Esch can be a second round pick. His athleticism doesn't transfer on the film I just watched of him. I don't see him being an immediate upgrade over Martinez, sure he is better than Ryan, but you don't need to use the 14th pick in the draft to find a guy better than Ryan.

Roquan Smith isn't polished either, but his athleticism shows up on film. He can cover a back or even a slot receiver, but will get eaten up by blockers. He keeps himself involved in plays, has a motor. His arm tackles will cost him at the next level. His greatest attribute is that his speed allows him to make plays all over the field. He is not a plugger type of ILB. His athleticism will be a plus when looking at matchups against the opposition. He can stay on the field during passing downs.
    Vander Esch is an interesting one. His combine numbers are almost identical to Brian Urlacher. When I watched the first half of the Oregon game, he looked every bit as good as those numbers. He took on blocks, knifed around blocks, he got deep in his drops, he showed some rush ability, he covered a back in the flat and caused a fumble. The second half of that game looked much worse.

Vander Esch = 6'4 1/4" 256, 33 7/8" arms, 9 3/4" hands, 4.65 40, 20 bench reps, 39.5" vertical, 124" broad jump, 6.88 3 cone, 4.15 short shuttle
    Urlacher = 6'4" 258, 33" arms, 9 3/4" hands, 4.61 40, 27 bench reps, 34" vertical, 122" broad jump, 6.94 3 cone, 4.18 short shuttle

I don't think there's any concern that he's Kyler Fackrell 2.0, but there were some consistency issues that I have. He did look very smooth in his drills at the combine. I'll have to find more games to watch. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him. I think he'll continue to rise. He played ILB in mostly a 3-4 at Boise State in the game I watched.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Sherman said that the system is broken if Shaqueem Griffin is drafted after the first three rounds. Is Richard Sherman dumb and/or brain damaged from CTE?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Sherman said that the system is broken if Shaqueem Griffin is drafted after the first three rounds. Is Richard Sherman dumb and/or brain damaged from CTE?
    Maybe he knows about Griffin because Griffins twin brother started 11 games for the Seahawks as a rookie last year.

Harold Landry looks good and performed good at the combine.

Denzel Ward ran 4.32 and 4.36.

Eisen ran a 5.97.

Orlando Brown had the slowest player time at 5.85.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 03-05-2018 at 02:59 PM.

If Edmunds is not available I would be inclined to lean toward Landry. The supply of top Edge rushers is not very deep this year.

It will be interesting how the front end of this draft plays out. It reminds me a lot of 2005. It is top heavy with QBs and lots of potential that might force certain players to drop. Derwin James is tremendous Athlete but not completely polished at just 21 years old that might have a chance to fall to 14. Same goes with Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama.

As of now the Inside linebacker corps looks strong where the Packers might not have to consider taking one with the 14th pick. The Packers could look at a couple of guys like Roquan Smith or Vander Esch, that could potentially play inside or outside. Same goes for interior defensive linemen.

Packers have to figure out their secondary and pass rush. I can't see them taking an edge rusher if they are committed to Matthews and Perry on the outside. The depth of the Edge rushers isn't great for this draft so the Packer might have to look at reaching for one with the 14th pick or hoping a kid pans out later in the draft. Fitzpatrick, Denzel Ward, and James all could be options at 14. They would all help a secondary that is lacking durability, play making potential, and consistency.

Later in the draft I feel it necessary to mention Natrell Jamerson and Leon Jacobs from Wisconsin. Both had fantastic combines and offer depth and explosiveness on special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Later in the draft I feel it necessary to mention Natrell Jamerson and Leon Jacobs from Wisconsin. Both had fantastic combines and offer depth and explosiveness on special teams.
    What do Badger fans think of the Badger prospects this year? One guy who stood out to me was Nick Nelson. He looked good in the drills. He even caught the ball relatively well.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    What do Badger fans think of the Badger prospects this year? One guy who stood out to me was Nick Nelson. He looked good in the drills. He even caught the ball relatively well.
    The Two LBs did very well for themselves too and almost certainly will get drafted now. That defense had a whole lotta talent.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Nick Nelson isn't going to convince anyone he is a first round draft pick with his 4.52, but his overall workout wasn't terrible.
    Jamerson couldn't have had a better combine. I think he went from a free agent to being drafted.
    Jacobs is a great athlete that a team can't resist drafting probably higher than he should be. He will be great on special teams, I don't know if he can be a starter in the NFL. He had a fantastic combine.
    Dooley was just a bit too slow, he might make a team as a 7th round pick or a free agent. Good football player, but he might not have the tools for the next level.

Davenport put on a show, wow! So dd Landry. The pick will almost certainly be one of those two, or the white dude from Boise.

Davenport's numbers are slightly worse than Clowney's without the intangibles, as in, everyone knew Clowney was a star from a young age.

Landry's numbers are almost spookily similar to CM3.

My gut feeling is Davenport will be gone and Landry will be the pick.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPac...andry/dv7i8w2/
    Last edited by call_me_ishmael; 03-06-2018 at 04:10 PM.

I don't care what Davenport's numbers were at the combine, he doesn't show up on film. I'll look at more film of him, but at this point I don't want him.

As for Landry... I like everything I've seen of him.
    wist

If they can coach him to stop the run I might come around on Landry. From what I've read he had some trouble vs. high talent OT's as well...but I imagine that will happen. The highlight tapes sure make him look good.

Hard to say what BG will do...but in the days after the combine everyone sounds like a sure fire All-Pro.

I agree with Partial, Landry doesn't do anything in the run game

In fact he looks to be a liability