Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 nfl draft thread

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    You're dumb, and Tony Mandarich was the worst pick in team history. There were many worse than Harrell.
    I did include the word "arguably." Mandarich was a bust, but he wasn't fat, at least not at the time when the Packers took him over the likes of Neon Deion and Barry Sanders.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well is it Campbell or Mandarich, someone start a poll!
    I'd have to go with Mandarich, simply b/c of who we passed over to take him. The next 3 players were all Hall of Famers.

Barry Sanders
    Derrick Thomas
    Deion Sanders

I wanted Thomas out of that group - would have been okay with Barry. Didn't want Deion b/c of the punk factor.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    I did include the word "arguably." Mandarich was a bust, but he wasn't fat, at least not at the time when the Packers took him over the likes of Neon Deion and Barry Sanders.
    And Derek Thomas and a ton of All Pro players.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Not even close to invisible unless you weren't looking. And are the only standards in your big lineman metric injured and #3 overall pick?
    Clark didn't do shit til maybe the last couple of games. 13 tackles and 0 sacks in 16 games reek invisibility.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Well, don't you just draft someone for defense in the first round, or draft that awesome guard, and in the second round tell TT to pick a wide receiver for you? That seems to be his golden zone.
    It WAS his golden zone. Until Montgomery and Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    It WAS his golden zone. Until Montgomery and Davis.
    Davis wasn't R2. And wasn't Monty R3?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Monty was R3, Davis was R5.

Smile

Patience, still two guys left people are salivating over:

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
    Former Rice cornerback Phillip Gaines visited the Colts

He will be your favorite if you like players coming back from knee injuries.

And of course, once his heel heals and the infection is gone, Breeland is still out there.
    Sorry...thanks! I needed someone to pull me back from the ledge

I could see them sign House and draft 3 CBs -- like they did with RBs last year -- and putting the best of them out there by week 4. Assuming Pettine can manufacture a pass rush and House can stay healthy, he's an ok stopgap. A lot hinges on Kevin King being passable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    A lot hinges on Kevin King being passable as well.
    Or not passable?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Clark didn't do shit til maybe the last couple of games. 13 tackles and 0 sacks in 16 games reek invisibility.
    Clark controlled the line of scrimmage much of the season. He held his gap. In 3-4 your nose needs to control the line, and make things bounce outside of the a gaps. He was very effective at what he does. For fools like you it is too bad the NFL doesn't keep stats on disruptions of running plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Clark controlled the line of scrimmage much of the season. He held his gap. In 3-4 your nose needs to control the line, and make things bounce outside of the a gaps. He was very effective at what he does. For fools like you it is too bad the NFL doesn't keep stats on disruptions of running plays.
    The "look elsewhere" run stopper.

Clark is also good at disengaging and chasing. As a young guy he is not just standing in the middle of the field waiting for the next huddle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The "look elsewhere" run stopper.

Clark is also good at disengaging and chasing. As a young guy he is not just standing in the middle of the field waiting for the next huddle.
    Good gravy max, lol...

He showed some improvement in the area of getting off blocks... so does that improvement now mean he's average in that area?? Because he sucked God-awful at getting off blocks in college and his first 1-3/4 seasons with the Packers.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Good gravy max, lol...

He showed some improvement in the area of getting off blocks... so does that improvement now mean he's average in that area?? Because he sucked God-awful at getting off blocks in college and his first 1-3/4 seasons with the Packers.
    I think we are talking about two different skills. I am talking about identifying the runner and giving chase down the line. Clark can still get hung up on blocks and is not fantastic as a pass rusher, though he did get better with his bull rush. But he can defend a gap, win a one on one and not get rolled by double teams.

Not bad for the late 1st round. I don't know if he's All Pro, but he will do nicely.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think we are talking about two different skills. I am talking about identifying the runner and giving chase down the line. Clark can still get hung up on blocks and is not fantastic as a pass rusher, though he did get better with his bull rush. But he can defend a gap, win a one on one and not get rolled by double teams.

Not bad for the late 1st round. I don't know if he's All Pro, but he will do nicely.
    He got better late in the year, but up until then he never got off blocks. RBs were constantly running right past him as he was dancing around with the blocker.

To tell you the truth, I thought he looked so bad that there was no hope for him; but, as he seemed to begin to get things figured out late in the year - I at least see some upside there finally. Up until late last season, he had been consistently bad since being drafted.
    wist

He got better late in the year, but up until then he never got off blocks. RBs were constantly running right past him as he was dancing around with the blocker.

To tell you the truth, I thought he looked so bad that there was no hope for him; but, as he seemed to begin to get things figured out late in the year - I at least see some upside there finally. Up until late last season, he had been consistently bad since being drafted.
    Only 13 interior defensive linemen finished with a higher PFF grade than Clark in 2017. I think he had things "figured out" prior to late in the year.

Clark had several good games early in the season. A good run stopper doesn't always get the tackle credited. I don't know what you were watching.

His pass rush showed up later in the year, as it developed, he saw more time in the nickel pass rush DT position. But that doesn't have much to do with his overall level of play or getting off blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Right. I was referring to TT's success in drafting second and third day receivers. Should have been more specific tho.

Clark had several good games early in the season. A good run stopper doesn't always get the tackle credited. I don't know what you were watching.

His pass rush showed up later in the year, as it developed, he saw more time in the nickel pass rush DT position. But that doesn't have much to do with his overall level of play or getting off blocks.
    I'm the first to argue that dunderdummy was the biggest problem with the defense, but that doesn't mean that there weren't, and aren't deficient players on that side of the ball.

Capers 2-4, which is nowhere near akin to a 4-2 as you like to claim, was a mess. If Clark can pick up where he left off, he'll be a serviceable rotation guy. Getting rid of Randall will help a lot, and I suspect Ryan will be on the field a lot less. Hopefully some better coaching will help Martinez improve...

Overall, I'm encouraged that the defense will be much improved.
    wist

A guy I like a lot as a player, but has a 10 cent head and character issues is Holton Hill, CB, Texas.

Guy can play, good size... failed multiple drug tests.
    wist