Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 6 @ Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    I get that the NFL is, "next level" but I really don't understand all of the injuries. I watch a lot of college football and see guys continuously take poundings and just as big of hits without getting hurt. Though not all of them are elite athletes there are plenty of college players who are just as big, fast, and strong who become NFL players. I don't know if it's from lack of contact or what but it seems like as soon as guys get to the NFL they get hurt tripping over a blade of grass.
    I suspect it is a lack of contact/padded practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I suspect it is a lack of contact/padded practices.
    They have been doing away with padded practices and contact since Bill Walsh became a head coach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Who in the fuck is Dana Litman and why would anyone give a shit about what he thinks or says? If we start posting every ignorant statement muttered by every random asshole on social media we'll end up breaking the internet. The cloud isn't big enough to hold that much stupid.

There seems to be a consensus in here that the season is down the drain. Am I the only one in here that doesn't buy that? We damn near came back and beat a fairly decent team at their place without Rodgers and with a ton of other injuries. If damn McCarthy had gone for it on 4th and 1 (or not just run it into the line on 2nd and 3rd and 1), and if Montgomery had remembered he wasn't still in college and secured the ball and crawled in instead of stretching and losing control - either of those things or both, we might even have won that game.

Hundley may not be Rodgers, but he was decent today, and he's only gonna get better. And our schedule was front loaded - if it hadn't been for the injury, the Packers would have literally been favored to run the table. They still should beat most of the teams the rest of the way ....... and on top of all that, there is some chance - 50/50? more? less? that Aaron Rodgers comes back in 6 or 7 or 8 weeks. or whenever.

I'm still betting we make the playoffs, and if we do that with Rodgers back healthy, the sky is still the limit. Somebody ought to start a poll - who's a believer and who isn't.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

If Bulaga and Bahk can be back next week and Hundley getting all the reps we will be able to tell if Brett can keep us afloat until Rodgers returns. It will help to get Brooks, Burnett and King back too.

Is there a chance Rodgers has surgery on that collarbone?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I just can't get into blaming the refs. Because every Viking fan I know (its not a lot) prior to Ras just loved to think they were Dana Litman and lived under an eternal ref curse.

Its not just Favre or Rodgers, the guys I know thought Ditka got all the calls when he coached the Bears.
    I don't believe in any systematic side-taking in officiating in the NFL. I also believe that over the course of a season, calls even out.

It just seemed today that the net benefit of missed calls fell to the Vikings and it was magnified due to the injury to Rodgers.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    what is under the new shitty fake turf? is it the same as the old shitty fake turf? concrete?

or is it a softer base like dirt?
    I’ve been on the field. It’s actualy pretty soft. I wasn’t being tackled by a 300 pound DL or trying to run and make cuts though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    We'll have to wish Hundley a lot of luck this week...he lives like 100 yards from us....my daughter fell off her bike in front of him and he has basically ran away from us every time we go for a walk past his house. #stalkers
    Then he's not really the Friendly or Neighbourly Type!?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Can we say that they missed Brooks today? He's just a role player, but he adds some productivity to defense in both pass and run defense.
    They just really missed today.

This was Friday the 13th Plus Two.

A day Packer fans won't forget for a long long time.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I believe Barr saw an opportunity to get a big hit on a QB and took it. Rodgers was out of the pocket so he was fair game. I don't know if Barr was trying to injure Rodgers but every defender on every team will take a legal shot on a QB, especially one as good as Rodgers is. If he can take the QB either out or off his game the chances of his team winning go up substantially. Don't be surprised if this kind of hit is addressed this offseason. The league doesn't like to see their marquis QBs out. Who - other than Packers and Lions fans - is gonna be eager to tune in to see a Hundley led Packers squad square off against Detroit on Monday night in a couple of weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Here is the thing. Hundley isn't Rodgers, but he and McCarthy will create a facsimile of a decent offense.

The bigger problems are still on the O line and DB (injuries). And pass rush (inconsistent and reliant on extra man).
    Okay, so we've seen quarterbacks go down against the Packers, and we've seen their backups almost pull off an upset (considering it was the backup). Why couldn't the Packers' backup do the same thing?

And Damn! Did the Packers even have any substitutes still on the bench? It seemed half the team was out due to injury by the end of the game (and yes, that probably answers the first question--two backup guards playing both tackle positions against the speedy rushers of the Vikings).

It'd be easy to rag on Capers for the defense, but if one more DB went down, Janis would have been back playing safety.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    --two backup guards playing both tackle positions against the speedy rushers of the Vikings).
    Yet, when Stubby did call a pass play, usually on 3rd down, he had Hundley dropping back four or five steps before getting rid of the ball. Plus, Hundley had opportunities to run and didn't, which leads me to believe he was told not to. I understand protecting your last QB but c'mon, let him play. That kind of stuff has to change next week or it's going to be a long season.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Yet, when Stubby did call a pass play, usually on 3rd down, he had Hundley dropping back four or five steps before getting rid of the ball. Plus, Hundley had opportunities to run and didn't, which leads me to believe he was told not to. I understand protecting your last QB but c'mon, let him play. That kind of stuff has to change next week or it's going to be a long season.
    I thought the 5 step drops were because they were third and long and needed mid length routes to develop.

We'll see next week what Hundley can do.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I believe Barr saw an opportunity to get a big hit on a QB and took it. Rodgers was out of the pocket so he was fair game. I don't know if Barr was trying to injure Rodgers but every defender on every team will take a legal shot on a QB, especially one as good as Rodgers is. If he can take the QB either out or off his game the chances of his team winning go up substantially. Don't be surprised if this kind of hit is addressed this offseason.
    What is this kind of hit? Are we going to make tackling the QB illegal? Maybe I saw it differently than others, but there was nothing particularly violent about the tackle, wide receivers are brought down like that every play. I think Rodgers was mad that it was a late hit, but looking at replay, it wasn't late. Close - if the guy had another half second and extra step it woulda been a flag.

There is no rule change that can fix this other than eliminating tackling the QB. Maybe that will happen - seriously. It could be two-hand-touch for the passer.

When Rodgers got hurt, we had the top five interior O Linemen in the game, right? And predictably, they played like crap, same as the replacements in previous weeks, same as who we had out there the rest of the game. As great as Aaron Rodgers has been mobility-wise - performing so great even when rushed on virtually every pass play, you could say an injury like this was inevitable because of our horribly poor O Line - thank you Ted Thompson for that.

Regarding the hit, it was dirty but probably not illegal (the only way is if it was considered late, and hits that late happen all the time). My first reaction was kill the bastard who did it, but undoubtedly every team we play salivates for a chance to take out what basically is the only reason the Packers are on top - thanks to the mediocre supporting cast Ted Thompson gave the team. If the shoe was on the other foot - our D player similarly taking out the other team's QB, I'd be cheering, as would all but a few bleeding hearts in here.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

i would like to know just what in the hell the team saw on the x-rays to come out and say he could be done for the year.

collar bone should take 6-8 weeks to heal, including the bye week, we have 11 weeks left in the regular season

if brett #2 can manage 2 or 3 wins over the next 7 games, we should be in the playoff hunt when a-rod is healthy

so why come out and say he might be done for the year? is it the overly cautious staff being overly cautious. or is the injury worse then we think

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i would like to know just what in the hell the team saw on the x-rays to come out and say he could be done for the year.

collar bone should take 6-8 weeks to heal, including the bye week, we have 11 weeks left in the regular season

if brett #2 can manage 2 or 3 wins over the next 7 games, we should be in the playoff hunt when a-rod is healthy

so why come out and say he might be done for the year? is it the overly cautious staff being overly cautious. or is the injury worse then we think

Never underestimate the chances that stupidity explains most of the work in the world. That might be the most uncharitable reading of whatever prognosis they had yesterday.

Why they released any kind of timeline is a great question and probably gets someone a pay cut.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Either that or the team Docs KNOW he is done with full collarbone break.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 52m52 minutes ago
    #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers (collarbone) will have tests to determine the next course of action. Chance he returns late, but just a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Then he's not really the Friendly or Neighbourly Type!?
    Nah, he's actually really nice. He has always said hi to us. Just since my daughter fell, he seems to see us coming.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Regarding the hit, it was dirty but probably not illegal
    What was dirty? Did he punch Arod in the nuts? A hard hit is not dirty. This was not even a dramatic hit. The only "dirty" thing is you are mad that the Packer QB got hurt.

If Arod hadn't been injured, nobody would even have noticed this tackle.

Arod is not a big, rugged guy. Not sure that matters. But I was shocked that he broke a bone from that contact with ground. Probably regular-sized shoulder pads would have saved him. QBs have little protection there.