Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 6 @ Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    But that is a delightful possibility.
    To some definitely. Thankfully, it wasn't to Tommie Harris. But plenty of "good guys" are trying to do it: Matthews, Reggie White

When I played, just to complete the circle Harlan started, I would have happily hit you hard enough to knock you out for a couple plays. But I wasn't looking for an injury to cause. You would have had to make it very personal to get that response. One kid did this, but I never got the chance.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    When I played, just to complete the circle Harlan started, I would have happily hit you hard enough to knock you out for a couple plays. But I wasn't looking for an injury to cause.
    I assume most athletes are like this. I remember in football, hockey, sometimes wrestling, it was just pleasurable to hit someone. Or boxing with those gloves our parents foolishly got us for Christmas. It is fun to crash into somebody. The thought of the opponent breaking a bone or ligament is the furthest thing from your mind.

When there is an injury in pro sports, I see players on both teams look genuinely concerned. I think there is a real brotherhood of competitors.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    When there is an injury in pro sports, I see players on both teams look genuinely concerned. I think there is a real brotherhood of competitors.

I didn't see any concern on Sunday from the Viking bench

(when it's an obviously very serious injury your statement is largely true)
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

M3 PC

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
    #Packers coach Mike McCarthy said QB Aaron Rodgers will require surgery for his broken collarbone. Likely means his season is over.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 2m2 minutes ago
    Three years of investment in Hundley, MM says. Likes his QB room. Then not pleased with a Kaepernick question.

PREDICTABLE AS RAIN. REPORTERS WRITING AS THOUGH SOME OTHER REACTION WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU THINK CK DESERVES A SHOT, WERE JUST IGNORING 10 YEARS OF PRECEDENT

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
    McCarthy is really agitated at the podium. He is unhappy with the performance yesterday and got hot over a question about Kaepernick.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 2m2 minutes ago
    McCarthy clearly not happy with questioning about bringing in another QB in. Said too much invested in Hundley and Callahan to go that way.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 3m3 minutes ago
    MM believes hit on Rodgers: "I didn't like the hit. It wasn't necessary. It was totally unnecessary."

UNNECESSARY IS GOOD DESCRIPTION BUT DOESN'T REALLY GET YOU ANYTHING

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 2m2 minutes ago
    "Everybody needs to clean their house up," MM says. Clearly not happy with weekly improvement.

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
    McCarthy reiterating how frustrated he is with the quality of play yesterday against the Vikings. Everyone needs to clean it up. #Packers
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Cohen
    McCarthy said the personnel department is looking at some guys for a potential third QB spot on the practice squad. #Packers

Spoon
    McCarthy's mantra now: Don't try to do too much. Focus on your job.

Wilde
    Aaron Rodgers' surgery date has not yet been set. #Packers coach Mike McCarthy very clearly took issue with Anthony Barr's hit.
    Last edited by pbmax; 10-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.

CAPERS

Ryan Wood‏ @ByRyanWood 5m5 minutes ago
    #Packers DC Dom Capers: "The biggest area we have to clean up is the missed tackles from yesterday."

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 3m3 minutes ago
    Capers: Have to look at who will be available, how much volume can we use against Saints.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
    Capers on game: Had a lot of moving parts. Guys battled. Guys playing positions hadn't played in. Too many missed tackles.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 3m3 minutes ago
    Capers on Pipkins: Thought he was aggressive, made some good plays.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 7m7 minutes ago
    Capers says missed tackles were biggest problem. Says they had season high. (I had them with 11, a season high)

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 5m5 minutes ago
    Capers laughs when I asked about challenge of playing without corners. Were down to one for a time, he says.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 8m8 minutes ago
    Capers: "I don't think it's really going to affect the approach. We go out every week and the goal is to keep people out of the end zone."

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
    Capers said that both PUP members Vince Biegel and Demitri Goodson are likely to start practicing this week. Have 3-week window if needed.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 21s21 seconds ago
    I'm not a doctor and don't play one on Twitter, but surgery can actually improve Rodgers' odds of returning. Not necessarily season-ending.

so he is having surgery, so season over

i wouldn't be shocked if rollins didn't play his last game yesterday

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
    McCarthy reiterating how frustrated he is with the quality of play yesterday against the Vikings. Everyone needs to clean it up. #Packers
    John Ulrick needs to clean it up. No way they're gonna get a first round pick from Cleveland in the offseason if he keeps playing like a fourth stringer.

Honestly, at some point, the next man up thing is gonna fall flat, because it's not the next man up, it's the next next next man up and every player on the team knows there's a reason Ulrick was traded for a conditional 7th round pick several years ago and has played in a grand total of 6 games over three years.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

C

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 21s21 seconds ago
    I'm not a doctor and don't play one on Twitter, but surgery can actually improve Rodgers' odds of returning. Not necessarily season-ending.

Well, I had a kidney removed last April, but I still have the other one.

John Ulrick needs to clean it up. No way they're gonna get a first round pick from Cleveland in the offseason if he keeps playing like a fourth stringer.

Honestly, at some point, the next man up thing is gonna fall flat, because it's not the next man up, it's the next next next man up and every player on the team knows there's a reason Ulrick was traded for a conditional 7th round pick several years ago and has played in a grand total of 6 games over three years.
    Matthew said yesterday that he wouldn't use the cliche because the next man up was already on the field when everyone else got hurt.

Write up from last year on Brett Hundley: https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/07/n...rodgers-backup

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Well, I had a kidney removed last April, but I still have the other one.
    So when will you return to your previous level of posting?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    So when will you return to your previous level of posting?
    wait, I had a previous level? lower or higher?

I think most logical Packer fans can agree that Barr's hit was not dirty nor illegal but it was more than likely intentional and it definitely was unnecessary. However I don't think it is any different than the intentionally violent hits that Matthews sometimes lays on opposing players. I sometimes think to myself that was legal but probably unnecessary.

Lost in all this though is the BS that Barr pulled later in the game with the head butt to Adams. That was stupid and dirty. I don't usually say things like this but I was glad he got knocked out the of the game with a concussion. In fact I kind of hope it happened on that head butt...

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-HHN...eek_6_2017.gif

Good post. I agree.

Agree. It wasn't that Barrs hit was illegal or past the line - just seemed unnecessary. To me - it was the followup head butt to a guy that spent a night in the hospital recently that irked me. Added together and you can see why casual fans were calling for rebuttal.

Same as the hit on Adams. Just showing the 5 sec clip in a vacuum doesn't make sense. Show the chippyness leading up to the hit, the context of the down/distance and point in the game. Added together and it wasn't necessary and borderline dirty.

And, to me, Clay is a kind of player on that edge of aggressive/dirty. And I'm on record as one who wouldn't mind seeing him go to an afc team for the value (plays, games vs salary).

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Kai View Post
    I think most logical Packer fans can agree that Barr's hit was not dirty nor illegal but it was more than likely intentional and it definitely was unnecessary. However I don't think it is any different than the intentionally violent hits that Matthews sometimes lays on opposing players. I sometimes think to myself that was legal but probably unnecessary.

Lost in all this though is the BS that Barr pulled later in the game with the head butt to Adams. That was stupid and dirty. I don't usually say things like this but I was glad he got knocked out the of the game with a concussion. In fact I kind of hope it happened on that head butt...

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-HHN...eek_6_2017.gif
    Vikings LBer A. Barr's 'suck move' on Adams was 'a pure Goon Move'.

That's the sorta crap that will drive viewers away from watching the NFL.

That and all of the fricken commercials. Damn that issue (at least with me) pisses me off ! It seems to me that half or more of the approx. 3 hours viewing time for a complete game is Commercials.

I believe that's the Primary Reason that Viewer Ratings are appreciably lower now.

I'm so happy to be a Pro Pickem and Total NFL fan as to sit and try to concentrate on just one game is maddening.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Vikings LBer A. Barr's 'suck move' on Adams was 'a pure Goon Move'.

That's the sorta crap that will drive viewers away from watching the NFL.

That and all of the fricken commercials. Damn that issue (at least with me) pisses me off ! It seems to me that half or more of the approx. 3 hours viewing time for a complete game is Commercials.

I believe that's the Primary Reason that Viewer Ratings are appreciably lower now.

I'm so happy to be a Pro Pickem and Total NFL fan as to sit and try to concentrate on just one game is maddening.
    Hey Ed - you and Mae should consider what Mrs. Q and I do - set the recorder and do some other stuff for about ("aboot"to you ) an hour. Then just hunker down and enjoy the game, essentially commercial free.

Not to mention Barr head butt Adams just a week after Adams got over a concussion

Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

Matthew said yesterday that he wouldn't use the cliche because the next man up was already on the field when everyone else got hurt.
    John Ulrick !? What !?

Is he an issue? and " a first round pick from Cleveland "

Please explain this for me.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ulrickjohn/2550166/profile
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau