Thread: Put up or Shut up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    McCarthy is only one part of the decision to have Hundley be the backup QB. Thompson has final roster say. The decision to stick with Hundley isn't going to hurt him with Thompson.

A malfunctioning offense for the rest of the season might.

But the biggest bone of contention will be the defense. The 3rd down problem has been there through a LOT of years and personnel. Thompson has said he doesn't like telling a coach who his assistants should be, but if the team decides Capers needs to go, McCarthy might balk. He has gone to the mat publicly for Capers before.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McCarthy is only one part of the decision to have Hundley be the backup QB. Thompson has final roster say. The decision to stick with Hundley isn't going to hurt him with Thompson.

A malfunctioning offense for the rest of the season might.

But the biggest bone of contention will be the defense. The 3rd down problem has been there through a LOT of years and personnel. Thompson has said he doesn't like telling a coach who his assistants should be, but if the team decides Capers needs to go, McCarthy might balk. He has gone to the mat publicly for Capers before.
    That's a bit of a contradiction...Thompson "doesn't like telling a coach who his assistants should be," but has "final say" on who his backup QB should be? I think both TT and Stubby completely committed to Hundley as the backup a year or two ago. Both are fully invested in him because I think they genuinely like him as a person and know he has the physical tools. Hundley's problem is between his ears. Maybe Stubby can fix that, maybe he can't. Time will tell for sure.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    That's a bit of a contradiction...Thompson "doesn't like telling a coach who his assistants should be," but has "final say" on who his backup QB should be? I think both TT and Stubby completely committed to Hundley as the backup a year or two ago. Both are fully invested in him because I think they genuinely like him as a person and know he has the physical tools. Hundley's problem is between his ears. Maybe Stubby can fix that, maybe he can't. Time will tell for sure.
    Its not a contradiction any more that Wolf telling Holmgren that despite Wolf having final roster say he would never stick Holmy with a player he truly did not want on his team. Thompson could fire the entire assistant coaching staff and retain only Edgar Bennett by the letter of his contract, doesn't mean he is going to do it.

McGinn surmised (all but said it happened this way but with no sources other than the voices in his head) that Thompson wanted to fire Sanders a year before McCarthy ended up announcing the defensive coaches were out. Did Thompson order this? Probably not by my read, but I suspect, as Bob does, that he made his view known to the HC.

I suspect they know what is going on in Hundley's head much better now that when he was a rookie or that scouting report was created. They've been living with him for three years. They trusted Rodgers, I am giving them a free one on Hundley.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I suspect they know what is going on in Hundley's head much better now that when he was a rookie or that scouting report was created. They've been living with him for three years. They trusted Rodgers, I am giving them a free one on Hundley.
    I was giving them a free one til I watched our QB throw every pass 5 yards or less coming off a bye week. Not so much now.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.