Thread: Put up or Shut up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yoop feisty tonight

The part I worry about with Hundley is that he looked like a pocket thrower versus backups and with his WR (the second and third teamers) two years ago. He could move and run*. He could throw a slant or slant and go to Janis. That seemed solid for a spread offense guy who was always in the gun in college doing pre-snap reads.

In his first start, he looked like a guy who wasn't good at post-snap reads with receivers out in a pattern no matter where he took the snap. Even when McCarthy ran a bunch or a (gasp!) crossing route, he didn't find open receivers easily.

So was two years ago a mirage or was he always just shy of skittish and unsure?

I HOPE McCarthy means he's going to take out the ARod part of the offense and simplify the QB reads until his new guy is steady and has learned the nuances of his starting WRs going against starting DBs.

McCarthy said he did not do a good enough job making Hundley comfortable in the pocket so he could make a play. That could mean almost anything, but with Hundley changing formations and the receivers then running identical routes, I think it means less pre snap stuff for the QB to call and more time to read the D.

I hope it works.

*Though I don't remember him looking brilliant on running and throwing, which Rodgers excels at. In the future, we could abbreviate "Not As Well As Rodgers" as NAWAR to save time.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yoop feisty tonight

The part I worry about with Hundley is that he looked like a pocket thrower versus backups and with his WR (the second and third teamers) two years ago. He could move and run*. He could throw a slant or slant and go to Janis. That seemed solid for a spread offense guy who was always in the gun in college doing pre-snap reads.

In his first start, he looked like a guy who wasn't good at post-snap reads with receivers out in a pattern no matter where he took the snap. Even when McCarthy ran a bunch or a (gasp!) crossing route, he didn't find open receivers easily.

So was two years ago a mirage or was he always just shy of skittish and unsure?

I HOPE McCarthy means he's going to take out the ARod part of the offense and simplify the QB reads until his new guy is steady and has learned the nuances of his starting WRs going against starting DBs.

McCarthy said he did not do a good enough job making Hundley comfortable in the pocket so he could make a play. That could mean almost anything, but with Hundley changing formations and the receivers then running identical routes, I think it means less pre snap stuff for the QB to call and more time to read the D.

I hope it works.

*Though I don't remember him looking brilliant on running and throwing, which Rodgers excels at. In the future, we could abbreviate "Not As Well As Rodgers" as NAWAR to save time.
    I was just playing off of the Callhan auto parts line .

In this case, though, M3 is the butcher and I'm taking his word for it that Hundley's the guy until he isn't. I saw some nice throws mixed with some iffy ones. The long sideline throw to Cobb looked bad as a bang-bang play but when they showed the replay it looked like he did give Cobb a chance to get it. He actually seemed to be comfortable going Cobb so I wouldn't be surprised to see more stuff designed with that in mind.

He didn't seem to miss high as much as he did against Minny. And the next time they give him a deep shot, they should send Janis out... just make sure Janis practices his defensive maneuvers as well.

I think you are right about pre-snap responsibilities. I don't know that he was skittish exactly, but after throwing 3 INTs last week he might have made an overly conservative mental adjustment to the speed of a starting defense.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.