Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Martellus Bennett

Didn't we make an offer to Cook that he declined before we signed Bennett?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Didn't we make an offer to Cook that he declined before we signed Bennett?
    I just can't recall if there was evidence that they tried to low ball him. maybe PB or Patler who love this salary stuff know.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I just can't recall if there was evidence that they tried to low ball him. maybe PB or Patler who love this salary stuff know.
    Conflicting reports "from insiders" within days after Bennett signed.
    First stories said they had offered Cook more than they ended up giving Bennett, making it a virtual no-brainer for them.
    The next day that was contradicted, with reports they offered Cook $6 million/ year for 3 years, and Bennett got essentially $7 million/year for 3 years.

Either way, they didn't low-ball Cook.
    Last edited by Patler; 10-20-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Oh and now look - Cook fantastic down the stretch for the Raiders.
    They only showed it once on replay then conveniently avoided it, but he did a nice 2 handed push in the back right before that big catch. The call on Crabtree on the next play was practically an admission that they got an earful from the replay officials.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    The TEAM would have been farther ahead with Cook. But chalk that up to another TT screw up.
    Bennett is a far superior TE. How often when we have been forced to have Bennett help out our 8th string LT do you think cook could have done it? Cook can't block. He is a glorified WR.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    They only showed it once on replay then conveniently avoided it, but he did a nice 2 handed push in the back right before that big catch. The call on Crabtree on the next play was practically an admission that they got an earful from the replay officials.
    He also caught a fourth down reception to keep the drive alive. The guy has skills. Would be nice to have him instead of Kendricks.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Conflicting reports "from insiders" within days after Bennett signed.
    First stories said they had offered Cook more than they ended up giving Bennett, making it a virtual no-brainer for them.
    The next day that was contradicted, with reports they offered Cook $6 million/ year for 3 years, and Bennett got essentially $7 million/year for 3 years.

Either way, they didn't low-ball Cook.

This is more consistent with the thinking that Cook just wanted to play elsewhere. I saw that somewhere looking for salary info but forgot the link.

Bennett is a far superior TE. How often when we have been forced to have Bennett help out our 8th string LT do you think cook could have done it? Cook can't block. He is a glorified WR.
    I'll take a glorified WR who was as productive downfield against safeties as Cook was last year.

Your proclamation that Bennett is "far superior" conflicts with Bennett's play so far. So who do I believe, you or my own lying eyes?

It is still early, Bennett heroics may await.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I squat with the Blue Dog!
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

P.S. Crabtree pushed off on the game-tying TD as well. Maybe not as egregious and/or the officials were tired of calling penalties on every play/wanted to make it safely past Marshawn Lynch to their cars in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    ew

Cook took the Packers offer, which the Packers understood to be within his acceptable range and then said they wanted time to think, i.e.. shop it around.

The Packers thinking they had been used, went after another guy instead of waiting, thinking it would be an upgrade since M3 wanted more blocking from TEs.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Cook did have a TD drop last night after he was interfered with. There will be a lot of evidence for the Council of Elders to sift through.

I see Cook is one month younger than Bennett. No stone will be left unturned, no wrong-headed loud mouth will be spared.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    So does OBJ!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Cook took the Packers offer, which the Packers understood to be within his acceptable range and then said they wanted time to think, i.e.. shop it around.

The Packers thinking they had been used, went after another guy instead of waiting, thinking it would be an upgrade since M3 wanted more blocking from TEs.
    Is that offer # known? IOW how much more did he get?

Is that offer # known? IOW how much more did he get?
    Only in relative terms. Patler has the basics, that Cook got an offer but wanted to think it over.

Rather than wait and end up short, Packers offered Bennett a little more (I newspaper shorthand it was $1 mil per year) for same term and he agreed right away.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I'll take a glorified WR who was as productive downfield against safeties as Cook was last year.

Your proclamation that Bennett is "far superior" conflicts with Bennett's play so far. So who do I believe, you or my own lying eyes?

It is still early, Bennett heroics may await.
    You are a typical fan. You look at TE as a position that is meant to catch passes. I look at it as a position of flexibility. If you want a pass catcher to exploit the safety line up Jordy at TE. Of course the entire defense knows what you are doing in that case.

While I am disappointed that our OL is in such disarray that Bennett has been neutralized as a pass catcher, I am not so naive as to think that we would be better off with Cook. Rodgers likely would have been injured 3 weeks earlier with Cook there.

P.S. Crabtree pushed off on the game-tying TD as well. Maybe not as egregious and/or the officials were tired of calling penalties on every play/wanted to make it safely past Marshawn Lynch to their cars in the parking lot.
    He absolutely did. He also pushed off on Al Harris no less than 4 times that wasn't called. I doubt they would have called that if not for blowing the previous call on Cook and having it pointed out to them.

Cook 9 seasons: 124 games 330/560 catches/targets 4196 yards 18 TD's 8 fumbles
    Bennett 10 seasons: 141 games 425/635 c/t 4500 yards 30 TD's and 4 fumbles And unquestionably a far superior blocker.

Now tell me which one is the better player. Right now Bennett is being forced to stay near the line because Rand is lining up at LT this week.

Bennett has had better QBs. Cook is a threat all over the field with speed.

Bennett will be fine as soon as Hundley figures out how to get the ball to him in a good position. Rodgers and Bennett were still figuring this out.