Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Hundley - Ongoing discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brett Hundley - Ongoing discussion

I thought it might be good to have a thread directed to Brett Hundley, where we can discuss what he is asked to do as the newly anointed starter, how he performs from week to week, whether he should be traded next year, cut this year, or kept to replace that other guy who used to start for the Packers before he went to the sidelines with yet another injury.

I saw MM in a discussion with Larry McCarren, who asked what the process would be for getting Hundley ready to take over, and how things might be different from the last time Rodgers broke his collar bone. MM had some interesting remarks, which I understood as follows:

- Hundley is his guy, who he has trained for three years for just this purpose.
    - He made mistakes last time, asking the QBs to play too much like AR plays.
    - He appreciates now how differently AR plays QB compared to others, waiting, moving and seeing the game his way.
    - Beyond basic QB skills, AR is unique in what he does.
    - Hundley will be asked to play more conventionally, while taking advantage of his size and ability to run.
    - He expects more throws on timing, less extended plays, etc.
    - He really knows Hundley well, not so with Wallace and Tolzien last time.
    - His bigger concern is the O-Line. He knows Hundley can play well if put in the right position to succeed, but at that point he (MM)didn't even know who would line up where in the O-Line, and might not know until Saturday. That makes the week more challenging than plugging in Hundley does, and could dictate the game plan quite a bit.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Like I said, slants, swings and a good dose of Jones wins. If we stick with 6 second drop backs and the non NFL RB on any fucking roster, known as Ty Montgomery we lose.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    When he plays well I will be calling him "Hot rod" or hRod Hundley after the Basketball great.

HRod. i like it!

I'll be sticking to PackerRats naming convention and calling him B2.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I was thinking about how one of the negatives I've seen a few times was B2's lack of accuracy and I remember Arod being knocked for his Tedford delivery which as we all know is long gone (and honestly he might have the sweetest delivery ever) so in regards to B2's lack of accuracy that will improve with M3 I have no doubt...now if we could draft decent D players and get teams off the field with our D once in a while......

To me, B2 already has improved his accuracy. He looks to be throwing in balance and on target. It’s just like with AR...... he was a little more robotic early, really sticking to his mechanics. After years and hours and hours and hours and hours of throwing the ball with perfect mechanics, he started to develop a feel for throwing that became deeper than mechanics and that’s when we started to see AR become fluid and flexible.

I see B2 as more robotic than AR right now. But i see him as being equally committed to his mechanics and robotic as AR was in 2008. So I expect a learning curve with that. I expect B2 to be good but not as dynamic with adjustments as AR has become. No telling how good he might be, but he looks balanced and accurate and committed to his mechanics. He’s a McCarthy QB. We won’t see his best yet, but hopefully he can get us to the playoffs and we get Aaron back. And in the long run, B2 is getting imo the best QB training in the football world. MM, to me, is the best. Period. Montana, Favre, Rodgers, Gannon..... he’s coached a lot of MVPs and knows What it takes to throw the football to the best of each players ability.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    To me, B2 already has improved his accuracy. He looks to be throwing in balance and on target. It’s just like with AR...... he was a little more robotic early, really sticking to his mechanics. After years and hours and hours and hours and hours of throwing the ball with perfect mechanics, he started to develop a feel for throwing that became deeper than mechanics and that’s when we started to see AR become fluid and flexible.

I see B2 as more robotic than AR right now. But i see him as being equally committed to his mechanics and robotic as AR was in 2008. So I expect a learning curve with that. I expect B2 to be good but not as dynamic with adjustments as AR has become. No telling how good he might be, but he looks balanced and accurate and committed to his mechanics. He’s a McCarthy QB. We won’t see his best yet, but hopefully he can get us to the playoffs and we get Aaron back. And in the long run, B2 is getting imo the best QB training in the football world. MM, to me, is the best. Period. Montana, Favre, Rodgers, Gannon..... he’s coached a lot of MVPs and knows What it takes to throw the football to the best of each players ability.
    Yes.

Repped.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Sounds like the dude might have to run for his life if Linsley and Taylor are both out, which looks to be the case.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Sounds like the dude might have to run for his life if Linsley and Taylor are both out, which looks to be the case.
    He’s going to have to scrap. Each week is different. He’s going to have to learn to be mentally flexible to adjust to each week. This is a good chance for him to learn right away how to stay calm and win ugly.

Looks like Packers tried to sign Brett Hoyer today.

What I see right now in B2 is a Backup NFL QB that needs a lot more experience playing NFL games and a likely as it's been, a more solid OL to help him protect the ball.

I see a Back Up NFL QB that certainly isn't prepared to tackle 'the Mount Everest' that is the challenge of winning consistently in the NFL.

I'm looking at a Backup QB and wondering if he can take the physical punishment he is expected to take. NFL football is obviously and extremely violent.

Can B2 deal with all of that?

I'll be watching B2 with 'Bells and Whistles' on for the next MNF Game Vs Detroit for any sign of Packer Nation hope and B2. I'll be ecstatic if the Packers win this very important matchup.

GO PACK GO !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Looks like Packers tried to sign Brett Hoyer today.
    Comment woodbuck27:

This News (if it's true) has to be a tad embarrassing for Packer HC Mike McCarthy.

This speaks mountains and MM's REAL confidence in Backup Brett Hundley...just some more of MM's ** Horseshit ** !?

Either ** that ** or MM and TT are not on the same page?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...d-to-sign-him/

" ...But first there's this: apparently the Packers tried to steal Hoyer away, according to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Media.

That angle is fascinating, because the Packers have previously explained very loudly and very clearly that they are perfectly fine with Brett Hundley, their backup for the last three years, filling in for Aaron Rodgers, who suffered a broken collarbone and could miss the rest of the season. ...."

If there's any truth to the thing about trying to sign Hoyer, it says more about what they think of Callahan than Hundley. Myself, I'd rather they take their chances with Callahan as the current backup than Hoyer.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

If they actually tried to acquire fucking Hoyer then they must really want a Top 10 draft pick.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If they actually tried to acquire fucking Hoyer then they must really want a Top 10 draft pick.
    Seeing they never even brought Hoyer in for a visit I doubt they were very serious in acquiring him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Seeing they never even brought Hoyer in for a visit I doubt they were very serious in acquiring him.
    I tend to agree with this. They were probably looking to sign Hoyer to a bare bones, veterans minimum contract for the remainder of the season. Once they saw he was looking for more, I'll bet the interest wasn't there.

There is no way they would have signed him as any more than a short term fill-in, certainly not the 3 years that the Patriots offered.

No visit, they were either signing him or losing him. They wanted him to the back-up I'm sure.

Hundley played poorly against the Saints. Especially for a guy who's been prepping for just such a moment for two years now.

That being said, thank goodness they didn't bring in B. Hoyer.

Kaepernick would be interesting - see what MM could do with him - but the distraction of "bench Hundley" every time he throws an incompletion would be difficult for the team.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Hundley played poorly against the Saints. Especially for a guy who's been prepping for just such a moment for two years now.

That being said, thank goodness they didn't bring in B. Hoyer.

Kaepernick would be interesting - see what MM could do with him - but the distraction of "bench Hundley" every time he throws an incompletion would be difficult for the team.
    Kaep needs to go to a team that has an offense suited for his skill set - he is a lousy pocket passer. He was a damn fool to turn down the offer SF gave him.