Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Hundley - Ongoing discussion

Hoyer would have failed miserably with the Packers poor O Line. So would just about any immobile drop back passer. I hate to say it - because the guy is such a piece of crap in a non-football way, but Colin Kaepernick just might do well for the Packers. He'd be running for his life with the poor blocking - same as Aaron Rodgers did virtually every play of every game. Obviously Kaepernick isn't remotely the passer that Rodgers is (well, maybe he passes slightly better than Rodgers now - with a broken right collarbone). However,Kaepernick at times did show some ability to pass on the run, and of course, he did and probably still could cut loose and run like no other QB.

To be clear, I don't want Kaepernick signed by the Packers, same as I didn't want Hoyer ...... just sayin'.

Draw a line half way between Kaepernick and Aaron Rodgers, and what do you have? Brett Hundley!
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

It appears our OL is now back intact for the first time in eons. I think we'll see a big improvement there on Monday night. How long they'll be one piece is another matter entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    It appears our OL is now back intact for the first time in eons. I think we'll see a big improvement there on Monday night. How long they'll be one piece is another matter entirely...
    The over/under for the O line staying intact is 1 quarter.

spoke too soon. lane taylor hurt his ankle in practice. makes him iffy for det.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    spoke too soon. lane taylor hurt his ankle in practice. makes him iffy for det.
    A separate injury or the same one he has had for a while now?

He was a limited participant in both practices this week.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

" Gee Aaron I'm so happy to be your Backup ! and YES ! I am eating meat. "
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

In Rodgers first playing time of significance against the Cowboys, you could see the confidence and you knew we had a player. From what little I’ve seen of Hunley that confidence that swagger that moxie the it factor isn’t there. He’s a clunker fish or cut bait. IMO.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    In Rodgers first playing time of significance against the Cowboys, you could see the confidence and you knew we had a player. From what little I’ve seen of Hunley that confidence that swagger that moxie the it factor isn’t there. He’s a clunker fish or cut bait. IMO.
    I agree. However, Rodgers was a passed over top pick, expected to be at least a solid starter. Hundley is a fifth-rounder expected to maybe be a decent backup. Some thought he was shit (see his scouting report, posted by Maxi every 35 minutes or so)

I was hoping Hundley would be decent. Maybe he still will be, but he obviously needs some time. It would be nice if the defense could help him a little by forcing a punt or two.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I don't know about confidence or swagger. Hundley doesn't seem lost, beaten or downtrodden yet. He seems pretty perky and in charge of the huddle.

It took until the Cowboys game of Rodgers second year that people finally bought that he would be good. Let's give Hundley at least five games to get himself, the passing game and M3 straight.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I don't know about confidence or swagger. Hundley doesn't seem lost, beaten or downtrodden yet. He seems pretty perky and in charge of the huddle.

It took until the Cowboys game of Rodgers second year that people finally bought that he would be good. Let's give Hundley at least five games to get himself, the passing game and M3 straight.
    that would be third year, right?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    that would be third year, right?
    Wasn't that game mid-2009?

All season there were concerns about holding on to the ball too long and being too indecisive. He was accused of being worried about his stats only and not be willing to throw into tight windows. He often moved his way into trouble in the pocket.

But in that Cowboys game, he and M3 seemed to find a balance.

Wasn't that game mid-2009?
    Oh I see what's going on here. I was assuming we were talking about Rodger's stint replacing injured Favre at Dallas in Nov. 2007. A week before that was when I saw Rodgers practice before the Thanksgiving game at Detroit and thought he was a keeper. Then he proved it at Dallas.

Oh I see what's going on here. I was assuming we were talking about Rodger's stint replacing injured Favre at Dallas in Nov. 2007. A week before that was when I saw Rodgers practice before the Thanksgiving game at Detroit and thought he was a keeper. Then he proved it at Dallas.
    Gotcha. That fill in stint definitely moved the needle for AR with the public.

But there were still lots of complaints about his game into 2009.

But mostly I am contending we gotta give Hundley a few games to get it in gear with and against starters. And while his HC figures out how to help the kid get the ball downfield.

There is a gif of Hundley in the pocket early in the game. Pocket is noisy but clean and NO ONE is in the middle of the field. But Nelson, who probably had a middle of the field route, has noticed the single high safety drifted over to the Offense's right. So Jordy can run a go from the slot and be uncovered for a TD. He raises his hand but Hundley's eyes have come down to the pass rush, looking for an escape lane.

I bet it was a route adjustment and BH didn't quite see it as he was distracted by some pressure that was not imminent. Its going to take a while.

I agree that there was some doubt about whether Rodgers could take this team to the promised land after Favre, and I also agree that Hundley shouldn’t be judged until we’ve seen 4 or 5 games - maybe the Bucs game, but everybody could see Rodgers was an NFL starter from the Cowboys game in 2007 on.

Hundley, in my opinion, has a much lower ceiling. We’re trying to find out if he’s a serviceable back up. Can he be a McCown or a Jim Miller or a Kyle Orton, because at this point he hasn’t shown that he’s much better than Scott Tolzien.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I saw Arod's wonderful 2006 game against NE at Lambeau Field. Favre got knocked out of the game and in came ARod. He was horrible and broke his foot. He was IRed that week.

I was happy we drafted Brohm and Flynn in 2008 after Favre had retired. I remember thinking he wouldn't be able to hold up to a full season of NFL pounding. Glad I was wrong.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    He's a career backup. We shouldn't have expected a 5th round pick to be the second coming of Russell Wilson.

I agree. However, Rodgers was a passed over top pick, expected to be at least a solid starter. Hundley is a fifth-rounder expected to maybe be a decent backup. Some thought he was shit (see his scouting report, posted by Maxi every 35 minutes or so)

I was hoping Hundley would be decent. Maybe he still will be, but he obviously needs some time. It would be nice if the defense could help him a little by forcing a punt or two.
    Yes, Hundley is basically a backup but our current woes are more on the defense than Hundley's struggles. You aren't gonna beat a lot of teams if your defense can't get off the field or force a punt.

Gotcha. That fill in stint definitely moved the needle for AR with the public.

But there were still lots of complaints about his game into 2009.

But mostly I am contending we gotta give Hundley a few games to get it in gear with and against starters. And while his HC figures out how to help the kid get the ball downfield.

There is a gif of Hundley in the pocket early in the game. Pocket is noisy but clean and NO ONE is in the middle of the field. But Nelson, who probably had a middle of the field route, has noticed the single high safety drifted over to the Offense's right. So Jordy can run a go from the slot and be uncovered for a TD. He raises his hand but Hundley's eyes have come down to the pass rush, looking for an escape lane.

I bet it was a route adjustment and BH didn't quite see it as he was distracted by some pressure that was not imminent. Its going to take a while.
    Not keeping his eyes down field and being too eager to cut and run might be his Achilles's heel.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Not keeping his eyes down field and being too eager to cut and run might be his Achilles's heel.
    Time for me to post my Hundley scouting report again. heh heh
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

The problem - and McCarthy himself said this - isn't Hundley; It's the rest of the team. Thank you Ted Thompson for that. The Packers were Great with Aaron Rodgers because he masked the mediocrity of the rest of the team, personnel-wise. The O Line, the whole defense, especially the DBs, the RBs, and the Receivers - both TEs and WRs.

The other thing about Hundley is they still refused to unleash him - at least until the game was pretty much out of reach. Then he did pretty well.

I don't see him cutting and running all that much; I see him looking down field and not finding anybody who has gotten much of any separation from the D. I also see him rushed horribly on virtually every play - same as Aaron Rodgers always was. There was improvement from the first week to the second - he started using one of Aaron's escape moves. Trouble was, it was always the same one - rolling to the right sideline.

No immobile QB would survive with this awful O Line, and even somebody with athleticism and mobility has a tough time - thank you Ted.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?