Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30

Thread: Official Packers Saints Game Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    It didn't need to be fixed. The offense did move the ball, albeit inconsistently, hut had few 2nd half opportunities because the defense couldn't get off the field. You can't expect the offense to routinely put up 30 points, and score on almost every possession.The simple fact, which everyone wants to overlook, is that they had a lead with 10 minutes left in the game even though the defense hadn't stopped a drive and didn't, the entire second half.

A stop here or there by the defense would have given the offense another opportunity or two, maybe another Fg or TD, and a different game at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It didn't need to be fixed. The offense did move the ball, albeit inconsistently, hut had few 2nd half opportunities because the defense couldn't get off the field. You can't expect the offense to routinely put up 30 points, and score on almost every possession.The simple fact, which everyone wants to overlook, is that they had a lead with 10 minutes left in the game even though the defense hadn't stopped a drive and didn't, the entire second half.

A stop here or there by the defense would have given the offense another opportunity or two, maybe another Fg or TD, and a different game at the end.
    Starting position wasn't good. New Orleans average the 30 yard line. Packers averaged the 18 (this was hurt by the penalty on the big Davis return).

But the second half offense looked like this:

GB 25 yard line, 5 plays, 18 yards. Punt
    GB 19 yard line, 10 plays, 38 yards (plus 15 on penalty). FG
    GB 10 yard line. 3 plays, 6 yards. Punt
    GB 25 yard line.3 plays, 4 yards. Int.

I don't think that can be defined as moving the ball. McCarthy was mad as he gets publicly over the second half and this was the main reason. Whatever they cooked up at half time backfired. In the first half (with one huge Jones run) they had 195 net yards. In the second half, they had 65.

C'mon. Defense wasn't good. But the second half offense was putrid.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Starting position wasn't good. New Orleans average the 30 yard line. Packers averaged the 18 (this was hurt by the penalty on the big Davis return).

But the second half offense looked like this:

GB 25 yard line, 5 plays, 18 yards. Punt
    GB 19 yard line, 10 plays, 38 yards (plus 15 on penalty). FG
    GB 10 yard line. 3 plays, 6 yards. Punt
    GB 25 yard line.3 plays, 4 yards. Int.

I don't think that can be defined as moving the ball. McCarthy was mad as he gets publicly over the second half and this was the main reason. Whatever they cooked up at half time backfired. In the first half (with one huge Jones run) they had 195 net yards. In the second half, they had 65.

C'mon. Defense wasn't good. But the second half offense was putrid.
    Stubby was also pissed about the defense. He specifically said if they could have made some stops the offense would have had more chances. Four series - really three - in one half is not good. And that's not on the offense (in fact, you could say the offense gave itself more opportunities for possessions by making some of them so short!)

But Stubby even told the sideline reporter that they were going to run and then do play action. But they never really did. Virtually all passes cam from gun/pistol formation. The only 'play action' they really did was the reverse type - inside run handoffs from pistol (and the QB/RB option if you want to count that). But they never really got the LBs to bite on a play action pass.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I am normally optimistic, especially about younger players stepping up.

But I don't see that second half offense doing anything with extra possessions. Maybe they rectify it if given time, but it sure didn't look like it was going to happen.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The o was not good in the second half, I'm not disputing that. But part of the reason was the circumstances it was put in. In the first half they had scoring drives of 70 and 60 yards. Without Rodgers, they have to be given multiple opportunities in good situations to be effective. That means the defense will have to come up with stops when they have the other team backed up in their own end (like 1st and 10 at the NO 14 when GB had the lead in the 4th qtr.). A 3-and-out or holding NO to a single 1st down gives the ball back to the O needing only a short drive for at least a FG, or maybe even a TD on a drive shorter than either of the first half scores. It also means the STs have to do their jobs and give the ball to the O in good position, like the 40 yard line instead of the 10 because of a penalty on the kickoff. From the 40, a short drive nets a FG and the Packers retaking the lead.

With a one point lead at the start of the 4th qtr, the defense gave up a four and a half minute 60 yard drive from NO's 14 for a FG, and a three and a half minute 55 yard drive for a touchdown. Between those two drives, ST's gave the offense the ball at their own 10 yard line on the kickoff. The net result of those three possessions, two by NO and one by GB was the Packers going from a one point lead to a 9 point, two possession deficit. The game was over. The offense had managed to claw back the lead, and suddenly was two possessions down without having had much of a chance.

The defense gave up scores on every possession in the second half. They started with a 7 point lead and were given back a one point lead in the fourth. The game was there for the defense and ST's to hold on to. They gave it away.