Thread: More Banjo: Week 4 vs. New Orleans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^^^ I need to look at the actual numbers, but it didn't seem to me very few passes came off play-action. It's like the Packers forgot that exists. If you can run for close to 200 yards, there's no reason to put Hundley in shotgun or pistol for passes. Run more play-action until Hundley can dissect a defense like Rodgers. At least that might open the middle of the field a little more
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ^^^ I need to look at the actual numbers, but it didn't seem to me very few passes came off play-action. It's like the Packers forgot that exists. If you can run for close to 200 yards, there's no reason to put Hundley in shotgun or pistol for passes. Run more play-action until Hundley can dissect a defense like Rodgers. At least that might open the middle of the field a little more
    In the first half, they ran a lot of option out of the gun. Not option as in Nebraska, but QB/RB option. Jones got some yards that way and it was affecting the ILBs.

I *think* his best completion to Bennett was off this, but might be misremembering.

So play action did work because of the dual threat, but they went away from it in second half.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    In the first half, they ran a lot of option out of the gun. Not option as in Nebraska, but QB/RB option. Jones got some yards that way and it was affecting the ILBs.

I *think* his best completion to Bennett was off this, but might be misremembering.

So play action did work because of the dual threat, but they went away from it in second half.
    I'll have to look again too. Seems like your mixing together two types of options. The QB/RB option actually worked a little - probably would work even better with Kaepernick in there at QB, but maybe Hundley is faster at this point.

What I was taking about is play action passing from under center. I know the Packers run play action off pistol as well, but they were running off single running back look and Hundley under center. Seems like play action would work there and open things up a bit, in the passing game, especially if they aren't going to be able to run the Rodgers offense - especially extended plays and looking for receivers to come open after running primary pattern.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'll have to look again too. Seems like your mixing together two types of options. The QB/RB option actually worked a little - probably would work even better with Kaepernick in there at QB, but maybe Hundley is faster at this point.

What I was taking about is play action passing from under center. I know the Packers run play action off pistol as well, but they were running off single running back look and Hundley under center. Seems like play action would work there and open things up a bit, in the passing game, especially if they aren't going to be able to run the Rodgers offense - especially extended plays and looking for receivers to come open after running primary pattern.
    I get it. He wasn't under center much at all.

But I think had they stuck with that QB/RB mesh run option, they would have been better than dropping back out of the gun like they did in the second half. Even faking that mesh was sucking linebackers up. The problem was that New Orleans began to stuff that run. They faked the offense's left DE out of his shoes and Jones/Monty lost a yard because the dual double teams got buried on the right.

If you could block the optioned defender, I think passing out of it could have helped more.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.