Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 4 vs. New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Twitter is yelling about having a TO left at the end of the half and not throwing again when (with the TO) you could throw to the middle of the field. What do you think?

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamece...B_Gamebook.pdf

1-10-GB 19 (1:23) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass short right to A.Jones to GB 21 for 2 yards (A.Klein).
    Timeout #2 by NO at 01:17.

2-8-GB 21 (1:17) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass short left to A.Jones to GB 25 for 4 yards (K.Vaccaro, A.Okafor).
    Timeout #3 by NO at 01:01.
    Sorry pb, because I know this has nothing to do with the point of your post, but the 1st and 2nd down timeouts taken by the Saints struck me. Wasn't there tremendous criticism of McCarthy for having done the same thing on defense at the end of the first half a couple weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    IIRC, Rodgers had chemistry with Jennings and James Jones from playing with them on the scout team when he stepped into that Cowboys game in 2007. I thought he mentioned at the time that he had spent a lot of time working with those guys and was comfortable throwing to them.
    Not Jennings. He was a starter from day one. Maybe Jones. I know Ruvell Martin was one of his favorites on the scout team.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Sorry pb, because I know this has nothing to do with the point of your post, but the 1st and 2nd down timeouts taken by the Saints struck me. Wasn't there tremendous criticism of McCarthy for having done the same thing on defense at the end of the first half a couple weeks ago?
    Yep.

And it nearly cost New Orleans 3 points here.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It's like ever couple of weeks, all season long, every season.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I think the rest of this season is going to be very poor...because McCarthy really isn't that good of a coach. Rodgers may only get 1 SB appearance in his entire career...and if that happens, I put the entire blame on Stubby.
    Want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?

579!

(Capers feels left out)
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    To me, both of these items are critical indictments on McCarthy's ability as a head coach.

Hundley was supposed to be a great young QB who could step in and do just as well as Matt Flynn used to. If you have to dial up a game plan that looked more like one from 100 years ago for your #2 QB, then you have the wrong #2 QB. I don't give a crap about the OL or anything else...the Packers are playing to win, and it is basically impossible to win in the modern NFL with only a handful of throws more than 10-15 yards downfield. So McCarthy set the team up for failure.

Jones started the season stashed way down the depth chart, yet he clearly is the best RB we have on the roster. McCarthy wasn't able to see that before injuries finally gave Jones a chance on the field? Either Jones only shows up to play on Sundays (doubtful) or McCarthy does not have the ability to identify talent very well at the RB position.

I think the rest of this season is going to be very poor...because McCarthy really isn't that good of a coach. Rodgers may only get 1 SB appearance in his entire career...and if that happens, I put the entire blame on Stubby.
    Not sure I agree with this. I think it will take a minimum of 4 games to get Hundley playing at full speed. I can't blame MM that Rodgers was taking 100% of the snaps during the season and Hundley only takes scout team snaps. The only game action Hundley has had is preseason in 2 of the 3 prior years against vanilla defenses playing mainly with our backups. The CBA even limits practice reps before the season and during the season. We'll have a better feel for Hundley around the Ravens or Steelers game.

Also, I think Jones didn't play because his pass protection was not supposed to be as good as Williams. Montgomery is the more dynamic receiver and with Rodgers at QB, the more dynamic receiver would be preferred. I think our needs have changed since Rodgers' injury. Now we need the more explosive runner to take pressure off Hundley.

Monty was over 5 yards a carry last year. There is a reason you never would have known about Jones if Monty doesn't take a shot in the ribs.

Jones is a more natural back, especially running between the tackles. But the idea that Monty is now worthless is an over-reaction.

Job #1 is keeping Rodgers upright. Jones needed work.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Monty was over 5 yards a carry last year. There is a reason you never would have known about Jones if Monty doesn't take a shot in the ribs.

Jones is a more natural back, especially running between the tackles. But the idea that Monty is now worthless is an over-reaction.

Job #1 is keeping Rodgers upright. Jones needed work.

M3 PC

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 33s33 seconds ago
    McCarthy: We'll work on self-scout. We'll start on the Detroit plan next Tuesday.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 35s35 seconds ago
    McCarthy on practicing this week: With CBA it's not possible to practice this week to help Hundley out. Can start next Tuesday.

THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT, DON'T RECALL BYE WEEK RULES IN CBA, THOUGH IN SEASON IS LIMITED FOR PADS

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 1m1 minute ago
    "Stating the obvious" that there's more on the bye week to-do list for the coaches, McCarthy says.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 1m1 minute ago
    McCarthy; Yesterday was a starting point. Showed how important to do the little things. At half didn't think we played that well.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 15s15 seconds ago
    "He will do better," MM says of Hundley. having only 50 plays was a factor.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 32s32 seconds ago
    McCarthy on Hundley: Have to look at opportunities. He will do better. His issues were more in time clock, timing. We'll be better next time

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 54s55 seconds ago
    McCarthy: Hundley wasn't given a lot of opportunities. Maybe if defense gets off field a few more times he has more opportunities.

Green Bay Packers @packers 3m3 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Brett Hundley: I feel the same way today as I did going into the week. I know this young man & I believe in him.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 1m1 minute ago
    McCarthy said nobody should be surprised that he took the blame for yesterday's loss. He says that's what coaches do for their players.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 29s30 seconds ago
    McCarthy said he told the team before the Minnesota game that they weren't practicing the right way. Things improved last week, still lost.

INTERESTING JUXTAPOSITION

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
    McCarthy said the game plan against the Saints wasn't as big as the game plan against the Vikings. "And frankly, it's going to get smaller."

OH GOODY

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    McCarthy: We need to be more creative. We have to fit the time clock to the perimeter. Nelson, Adams, Cobb have to touch the ball.

OK

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
    McCarthy: We haven't been very good the last two weeks. Told them they weren't practicing well and it was going to bite us.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
    McCarthy: What's conservative? We had the ball 50 plays. How many dropbacks did he have? Action, footwork was perfect, but protection failed

TODAYS OPERATION IRRITATION THREAT LEVEL IS ORANGE

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 7m7 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Ty Montgomery outstanding football player. Never a one-man job. He's still a big part of the offense.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 6m6 minutes ago
    McCarthy said the communication was not good enough on defense yesterday. Injuries in secondary have complicated substitution patterns.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Injury had an impact on the 10-men on the field play.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 3m3 minutes ago
    McCarthy said he has regular contact with Aaron Rodgers, who is on IR because it's an 8-week injury minimum. "Could be lost for the season."

CAPERS PC

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
    Capers on HHCD: He's had a lot more on his plate. You get used to playing with Morgan... HaHa has picked up his responsibilities

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
    Getting healthy will help consistency for Kevin King. (Played so well vs. Atlanta but poorly yesterday.)

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 17m17 minutes ago
    Capers: Played more man than zone because of all the screens. Ran three screens on us first series. We didn't play with good enough leverage

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 17m17 minutes ago
    Capers said the loss of Jake Ryan in the third quarter left them with just one linebacker — Blake Martinez — plus safety Josh Jones.

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 21m21 minutes ago
    #Packers DC Dom Capers said the inability to get off the field on third and long was evident early in the game. Bit them later, too.

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 11m11 minutes ago
    Capers said the defense had far more missed tackles against Minnesota than New Orleans. But against NO there were leverage issues instead.

PACKER REPORT AGREES, HAD DOUBLE DIGIT MISSES VERSUS MN, 5 OR 6 VS NO

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 16m16 minutes ago
    "Exactly" Zook says of it being right call against GB on the muffed punt yesterday vs. wrong call on Davis' muffed punt at Titans last year.

DEAR ROD, EXACTLY WHO'S SIDE ARE YOU ON ANYWAY?

CAPERS PC

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
    Capers on HHCD: He's had a lot more on his plate. You get used to playing with Morgan... HaHa has picked up his responsibilities

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
    Getting healthy will help consistency for Kevin King. (Played so well vs. Atlanta but poorly yesterday.)

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 17m17 minutes ago
    Capers: Played more man than zone because of all the screens. Ran three screens on us first series. We didn't play with good enough leverage

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 17m17 minutes ago
    Capers said the loss of Jake Ryan in the third quarter left them with just one linebacker — Blake Martinez — plus safety Josh Jones.

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 21m21 minutes ago
    #Packers DC Dom Capers said the inability to get off the field on third and long was evident early in the game. Bit them later, too.

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 11m11 minutes ago
    Capers said the defense had far more missed tackles against Minnesota than New Orleans. But against NO there were leverage issues instead.

PACKER REPORT AGREES, HAD DOUBLE DIGIT MISSES VERSUS MN, 5 OR 6 VS NO
    more pad levels?

leverage does not equal pad level, but they both belong to the broad category of murky coach-speak excuse-making code language that most often means 'we cocked it up but we don't really want to explain it to you morons'
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Leverage is actually a concept very important in both run and pass defense. Like anything else, it can be used to obscure or hide things.

Pad level was used so often it was funny AND it seems very dependent on the height of the player. Its no coincidence that the best pad level in a decade belongs to 5' 9" Aaron Jones.

Article 24 ?

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com...-2011-2020.pdf

Regards time, place and amounts of padded practices, AKA live fire.

Don't know for sure, but seems to fit.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    M3 PCTom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 35s35 seconds ago
    McCarthy on practicing this week: With CBA it's not possible to practice this week to help Hundley out. Can start next Tuesday.

THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT, DON'T RECALL BYE WEEK RULES IN CBA, THOUGH IN SEASON IS LIMITED FOR PADS
    On the broadcast of the late game last night, one of the announcers said that most teams don't practice (in pads?) on Fridays, but New England does. I think he said that works out to many, many hours of practice more for New England over the whole season. It's why they are so well prepared.

You know I was thinking that maybe the owners and players shot themselves in the foot by negotiating all these practice rules in the CBA. It's probably affecting the quality of product that's put on the field Sundays and might also have something to do with all the injuries. Ultimately, both wind up diminishing interest in the games and NFL attendance/profits suffer.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    On the broadcast of the late game last night, one of the announcers said that most teams don't practice (in pads?) on Fridays, but New England does. I think he said that works out to many, many hours of practice more for New England over the whole season. It's why they are so well prepared.

You know I was thinking that maybe the owners and players shot themselves in the foot by negotiating all these practice rules in the CBA. It's probably affecting the quality of product that's put on the field Sundays and might also have something to do with all the injuries. Ultimately, both wind up diminishing interest in the games and NFL attendance/profits suffer.
    So this is the Maxie-pads argument?

Job #1 is keeping Rodgers upright.
    Just have him lay off the Everclear.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    So this is the Maxie-pads argument?
    LOL I guess that makes me a real douche bag! hahaha
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers