Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 4 vs. New Orleans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    why would the playbook have to be cut down at all?

the guys been the top backup for 3 years, its not like he just got the playbook last week

he has been, or should have been running all these plays for 3 years
    Backups don't practice during the season and they practice mainly with 2nd team. Gonna take some time and a modified offense.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachMN View Post
    Are you serious? The D has been a joke for YEARS! You want aspects? Tackling, scheme, talent evaluation, philosophy- that's on Stubby 100%- and their production- yeah we have an epic offense but at the end of the day you need to get teams off the field and ours gets ground up, exploded, picked apart, dinked and dunked-it gets beat IN EVERY ASPECT BY EVERY STYLE OF OFFENSE REGULARLY! It is a fatal flaw.
    That doesn't explain the defense outplaying the offense in 2 of the last five post seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Do we really want to end up 8-8? If we aren't gonna go deep into the playoffs what good is 8-8? I'm not saying let's tank but it wouldn't be the worst thing to have highish draft pick for a change to inject more talent in this team for when Rodgers returns in 2018.
    I am starting to agree with you. But even if Hundley proves unworthy they are going to get to 6-8 wins.

Jason Wilde

He [Ha Ha Clinton Dix] looks hurt. Darren Perry basically admitted it and then backed off. Can't imagine he's regressed. But if you aren't on the INJ report ...
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Jason Wilde

He [Ha Ha Clinton Dix] looks hurt. Darren Perry basically admitted it and then backed off. Can't imagine he's regressed. But if you aren't on the INJ report ...
    C-D turned down some hits. Had a chance to go up and compete and separate receiver from ball and turned it down. Something not right. I thought perhaps it was being worried about letting guys get behind him with replacements out there. Lingering injury would explain a lot.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Heh, didn’t Hodge from ESPN say on draft day 2008 that Brohm was the Packers QB of the future and Rodgers wouldn’t amount to anything?

Hundley might turn out to be good, he might not. But I guarantee some of the same people here talking shit were saying Rodgers was injury prone and couldn’t play. Telford QBs never amount to anything. He doesn’t have the arm. He dropped in the draft for a reason.

Blah blah blah. Same shit, different year.

Edited for horrible spelling.
    Last edited by Zool; 10-22-2017 at 11:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

I'm still gonna defend Hundley. The O Line was as shitty as ever other than opening holes for a couple of running plays on the first series, and our receivers got exposed as being overrated because Rodgers is so good, that and the piss poor play calling of McCarthy.

In addition, New Orleans was a little better than I expected on defense. It must be nice to have a real O Line like they had (and like virtually every team in the league has better than the Packers' O Line).
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm still gonna defend Hundley. The O Line was as shitty as ever other than opening holes for a couple of running plays on the first series, and our receivers got exposed as being overrated because Rodgers is so good, that and the piss poor play calling of McCarthy.
    He had time. Tackles held up well. McCray had trouble a couple of times, usually with stunts, but was not a tire fire. There were opportunities to make throws.

The WRs weren't very open, but that is par for the course. I do think Cobb has gotten healthy enough to be a threat again. Every time they ran four verticals (twice by my count) he got open against safety/slot CB.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

^^^ I need to look at the actual numbers, but it didn't seem to me very few passes came off play-action. It's like the Packers forgot that exists. If you can run for close to 200 yards, there's no reason to put Hundley in shotgun or pistol for passes. Run more play-action until Hundley can dissect a defense like Rodgers. At least that might open the middle of the field a little more
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ^^^ I need to look at the actual numbers, but it didn't seem to me very few passes came off play-action. It's like the Packers forgot that exists. If you can run for close to 200 yards, there's no reason to put Hundley in shotgun or pistol for passes. Run more play-action until Hundley can dissect a defense like Rodgers. At least that might open the middle of the field a little more
    In the first half, they ran a lot of option out of the gun. Not option as in Nebraska, but QB/RB option. Jones got some yards that way and it was affecting the ILBs.

I *think* his best completion to Bennett was off this, but might be misremembering.

So play action did work because of the dual threat, but they went away from it in second half.

In the first half, they ran a lot of option out of the gun. Not option as in Nebraska, but QB/RB option. Jones got some yards that way and it was affecting the ILBs.

I *think* his best completion to Bennett was off this, but might be misremembering.

So play action did work because of the dual threat, but they went away from it in second half.
    I'll have to look again too. Seems like your mixing together two types of options. The QB/RB option actually worked a little - probably would work even better with Kaepernick in there at QB, but maybe Hundley is faster at this point.

What I was taking about is play action passing from under center. I know the Packers run play action off pistol as well, but they were running off single running back look and Hundley under center. Seems like play action would work there and open things up a bit, in the passing game, especially if they aren't going to be able to run the Rodgers offense - especially extended plays and looking for receivers to come open after running primary pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'll have to look again too. Seems like your mixing together two types of options. The QB/RB option actually worked a little - probably would work even better with Kaepernick in there at QB, but maybe Hundley is faster at this point.

What I was taking about is play action passing from under center. I know the Packers run play action off pistol as well, but they were running off single running back look and Hundley under center. Seems like play action would work there and open things up a bit, in the passing game, especially if they aren't going to be able to run the Rodgers offense - especially extended plays and looking for receivers to come open after running primary pattern.
    I get it. He wasn't under center much at all.

But I think had they stuck with that QB/RB mesh run option, they would have been better than dropping back out of the gun like they did in the second half. Even faking that mesh was sucking linebackers up. The problem was that New Orleans began to stuff that run. They faked the offense's left DE out of his shoes and Jones/Monty lost a yard because the dual double teams got buried on the right.

If you could block the optioned defender, I think passing out of it could have helped more.

Apropos of nothing, this story about Steve Spurrier at Duke explains a lot about his college and pro career.

Randall Cobb:

“It’s going to be important for us to continue to build confidence in him to throw it to us in different situations. There were opportunities. Jordy and Davante got on top all day. There were a few inside as well with myself. We just have to continue to build that chemistry with Brett.”
    Mike McCarthy:

“It was a challenge that I didn’t meet today,” McCarthy said. “He didn’t get comfortable in the pocket, and that’s my responsibility. So I did a poor job coaching.’
    So was this the case of Hundley not seeing guys downfield because he was worried about the pressure? Do the Packers need to go with more protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Randall Cobb:

Mike McCarthy:

So was this the case of Hundley not seeing guys downfield because he was worried about the pressure? Do the Packers need to go with more protection?
    Someone wrote that Hundley is likely more familiar with Davis, Allison (not a coincidence he went in and got targeted twice quickly) and Janis.

Its going to take a little time to learn what is going to be open with each guy. But M3 can send one of Hundley's guys out there to help. Then call Adams/Jordy/Cobb's number.

Someone wrote that Hundley is likely more familiar with Davis, Allison (not a coincidence he went in and got targeted twice quickly) and Janis.

Its going to take a little time to learn what is going to be open with each guy. But M3 can send one of Hundley's guys out there to help. Then call Adams/Jordy/Cobb's number.
    IIRC, Rodgers had chemistry with Jennings and James Jones from playing with them on the scout team when he stepped into that Cowboys game in 2007. I thought he mentioned at the time that he had spent a lot of time working with those guys and was comfortable throwing to them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    IIRC, Rodgers had chemistry with Jennings and James Jones from playing with them on the scout team when he stepped into that Cowboys game in 2007. I thought he mentioned at the time that he had spent a lot of time working with those guys and was comfortable throwing to them.
    Not Jennings. He was a starter from day one. Maybe Jones. I know Ruvell Martin was one of his favorites on the scout team.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    My thoughts from being at Lambeau on Sunday:

- Crowd was real loud when Hundley was introduced before the game.
    - Jones is fantastic. He really sees the field.
    - On the Saints first TD run, the crowd knew that the Packers only had 10 players on the field.
    - The Packers defense subbed players rather late and there seemed to be a lot of confusion rather often.
    - Brees had all day to throw and the Packers played very soft off the LOS. They are just so afraid of being beat deep. The pass rush was brutal.
    - Something is very wrong with Ha-Ha, there were several times he just held up from contact.
    - Everybody loves Martinez
    - On the play or two before the Pack settled for that awful 59 yd FG try, Cobb had his man beat by 3-4 yds on a post route for an easy TD, but the pressure didn't allow Hundley to see him.
    - Quite often the WRs were blanketed. Nobody plays off of them at the LOS. Need to be a lot more picks and double moves.
    - Hundley was late on a couple of throws where guys were open but he held the ball too long.
    - Rain stopped mid way through the first quarter and there was some drizzle right before half.
    - I'm now 0-3 at Lambeau. Someday I'll see that W.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!