Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Saints

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Dud: The pass rush. We do know we are allowed to pressure the QB, right? Somebody please tell MM in case he forgot.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Dud: The pass rush. We do know we are allowed to pressure the QB, right? Somebody please tell MM in case he forgot.
    That would help. Brees is like Brady though. Not mobile, but able to move around in the pocket just enough to escape pressure.

As so often happens, the Packers D has the personnel to shut down one or some aspects of an offense but not all. For better or worse, Capers played deep umbrella coverage that kept Brees from success on long passes. They gave up the short zones, though, and also were weak on stopping runs on the second level, as well as very little blitzing and thus, poor pass rush. Brees is smart, and he's like so many (not me) whine for Aaron Rodgers to be - getting rid of the ball quick. If Kevin King had been a true shut down Corner, the plan might have worked. Thomas and the other Saints WRs had moves, but they didn't seem very fast. I can't help thinking, maybe the much-maligned Ladarius Gunter might have done better against them.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I can't help thinking, maybe the much-maligned Ladarius Gunter might have done better against them.
    BRING BLACK MICHAEL HAWTHORNE!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I am with the pass rush dud. Its the biggest missing piece. When they get it, suddenly the backend looks better.

But Capers was having to send a fifth or sixth guy from the secondary to get it. And that takes time.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am with the pass rush dud. Its the biggest missing piece. When they get it, suddenly the backend looks better.

But Capers was having to send a fifth or sixth guy from the secondary to get it. And that takes time.
    and without Burnett, it was leaving the middle open for (especially) Fleener and others.

Packers really have no one who can consistently generate pressure. Not at least to the level where they need to be double teamed.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

As so often happens, the Packers D has the personnel to shut down one or some aspects of an offense but not all. For better or worse, Capers played deep umbrella coverage that kept Brees from success on long passes. They gave up the short zones, though, and also were weak on stopping runs on the second level, as well as very little blitzing and thus, poor pass rush. Brees is smart, and he's like so many (not me) whine for Aaron Rodgers to be - getting rid of the ball quick. If Kevin King had been a true shut down Corner, the plan might have worked. Thomas and the other Saints WRs had moves, but they didn't seem very fast. I can't help thinking, maybe the much-maligned Ladarius Gunter might have done better against them.
    We can stop the run with base personnel, but not having Burnett makes it hard to stop the run in nickel, not to mention what it does to our pass defense.

I'm becoming more convinced that Burnett is the most needed player on our defense.

We didn't have a pass rush but that's not unusual against the Saints. Brees has a quick release and will risk interceptions to avoid sacks. Saints OL is pretty good, also.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    We didn't have a pass rush but that's not unusual against the Saints. Brees has a quick release and will risk interceptions to avoid sacks. Saints OL is pretty good, also.
    The problem is, the defense is constructed so that pass rush is vital to success. See any number of 3rd and long conversions.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Which is why I advocated TJ Watt instead of Kevin King. Since the giants knocked off the 19-0 Patriots I have gone from believing to being religious about pass rush.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

If you believe Gunter would be an upgrade over what we have that doesn't say much for our secondary. Gunter is having problems getting on the field with the Panthers this year.

A pass rush would camouflage a lot of our secondary issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    If only the Packers had Denver's defense, they would have won toda--- oh, wait.
    Even great defenses struggle when the offense is struggling to possess the ball. Who knew?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Duds. Charles Davis. Man, I can't stand listening to his blathering. "We're looking for Artificial Intelligence and Drew Brees is it." No. That's called intelligence.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I have reset my parameters. I still think Capers is a sub par DC.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I have reset my parameters. I still think Capers is a sub par DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Duds. Charles Davis. Man, I can't stand listening to his blathering. "We're looking for Artificial Intelligence and Drew Brees is it." No. That's called intelligence.
    Yes, he is pretty dreadful. Now that Rodgers isn't our QB we're gonna be stuck with the likes of him going forward except for the 3 prime time games left on our schedule.

Charles Davis is better than "Red Area" Ron Pitts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Now that Rodgers isn't our QB we're gonna be stuck with the likes of him going forward except for the 3 prime time games left on our schedule.
    By "prime time" you mean my prime sleeping time. Whatever happened to flexing teams out of late games? Is that a thing? There ought to be some compensation for the collar bone catastrophe.