Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barclay released, McCaffrey signed to PS.

Barclay released, McCaffrey signed to PS.

Either Barclay's ankle has not responded, or McCray and Patrick have made positive impressions, because they released Barclay.

McCaffrey was released by the Jags on Monday, and signed with GB today to their practice squad, which had an opening after Whitehead was sigend to the regular roster.
    Last edited by Patler; 10-24-2017 at 06:32 PM.

McCaffrey could be the type of receiver Hundley needs. In TC he got open and made difficult/contested catches.

Janis could be on the way out, replaced by Davis on kick returns, and apparently equaled by Jones as a gunner.
    Davis could be on the way out, still not the most reliable fielding punts or kicks, and guilty of bad decisions returning both. McCaffrey could take over on punts.

If it was up to me to chose between the two, I would keep Janis for the coverage units.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Either Barclay's ankle has not responded, or McCray and Patrick have made positive impressions, because they released Barclay.

McCaffrey was released by the Jags on Monday, and signed with GB today to their practice squad, which had an opening after Whitehead was sigend to the regular roster.
    With Barclay, it came down to a numbers game. The Packers usually only like to keep 3 or 4 injured lineman. With Spriggs and Murphy already on IR, Lane Taylor now hurt, and Bakhtari and Bulaga rotating to the bench every other game, he just didn't make the cut. Perhaps MM/TT will make a decision to keep up to 6 or 7 injured OL in the future.

Big McCaffrey fan! Good move!
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Sweet!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!
    are you pro-Barclay, anti-McCaffrey, or both?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Actually had completely forgotten Barclay was on the team. Man, they had an amazing run of tackle injuries. Should be fine now that it doesn't matter.

McCaffrey could be the type of receiver Hundley needs. In TC he got open and made difficult/contested catches.

Janis could be on the way out, replaced by Davis on kick returns, and apparently equaled by Jones as a gunner.
    Davis could be on the way out, still not the most reliable fielding punts or kicks, and guilty of bad decisions returning both. McCaffrey could take over on punts.

If it was up to me to chose between the two, I would keep Janis for the coverage units.
    They almost have to keep Janis. He is having a great year in coverage and seems to work really well with Voegel. With Rodgers out, it seems they need all the field position they can get. It's a bonus that Jones is good as well and they can have 2 good gunners.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Janis literally is the new Bush. Its a race to the returner on punts between him and Jones and its fun as heck to watch. When was the last time you watched punt coverage and had fun?

Davis I could see on the bubble, but Zook seemed to want to get returns underway last week and Davis stayed in there. Unless there is a WR need due to injury, I doubt they change.

But McCaffrey is Mr. August to me until he gets promoted.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Actually had completely forgotten Barclay was on the team. Man, they had an amazing run of tackle injuries. Should be fine now that it doesn't matter.
    McCray as the new Flanagan/Tretter guard/tackle/emergencycenter really stole his seat.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If they actually gave Janis more plays on offense I think he would be solid.

McCaffrey may be the guy Abbracadabra was supposed to be.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    If they actually gave Janis more plays on offense I think he would be solid.
    Given that he might have been Hundley's favorite target two years ago, he might get a chance. Gonna take a couple weeks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    With Barclay, it came down to a numbers game. The Packers usually only like to keep 3 or 4 injured lineman. With Spriggs and Murphy already on IR, Lane Taylor now hurt, and Bakhtari and Bulaga rotating to the bench every other game, he just didn't make the cut. Perhaps MM/TT will make a decision to keep up to 6 or 7 injured OL in the future.
    I don't see it as a numbers game at all with Barclay. He was on IR. They didn't have to do anything with him. They could have just waited until next training camp, have him compete with the others and let it shake out however. At final cutdown, they kept him on the original 53 man roster for one day, then moved him to IR, making him eligible to return this year, but they could have left him on IR all season. He was the only one with any experience at center behind Linsley, until McCray and Patrick (?) started working there after Barclay was hurt.

Spriggs and Murphy are both on IR, so they don't create any numbers problem either. You can have as many on IR as you want.

Cutting Barclay now to me indicates either that he isn't responding to treatments and/or that he has, is ready tp start practicing, but the Packers like the others they have on the roster now more than they like Barclay. Either way, no point in keeping him around. They could have simply kept him on IR as insurance for later this year or next year. They didn't, which seems to indicate they are satisfied with McCray, Patrick, Pankey and Ulrick now, and Spriggs and Murphy eligible to return a few weeks down the road,

Cutting Barclay now to me indicates either that he isn't responding to treatments and/or that he has, is ready tp start practicing, but the Packers like the others they have on the roster now more than they like Barclay. Either way, no point in keeping him around. They could have simply kept him on IR as insurance for later this year or next year. They didn't, which seems to indicate they are satisfied with McCray, Patrick, Pankey and Ulrick now, and Spriggs and Murphy eligible to return a few weeks down the road,
    I think Teamcheez was kidding about the depth chart of the injured OL.

However, your post gave me pause over one scenario. Barclay has played emergency tackle before. On the current roster, Taylor, McCray and Ulrick have (don't think Pankey made it into a game, did he?) been the emergency tackle. Taylor's play was sublime given he's always been a Guard.

However Taylor is hurt. He might be OK after the bye, but that's not certain. So they must have really like Ulrick is my guess, because MCCray at right tackle was a very big adventure.

I don't see it as a numbers game at all with Barclay. He was on IR. They didn't have to do anything with him. They could have just waited until next training camp, have him compete with the others and let it shake out however. At final cutdown, they kept him on the original 53 man roster for one day, then moved him to IR, making him eligible to return this year, but they could have left him on IR all season. He was the only one with any experience at center behind Linsley, until McCray and Patrick (?) started working there after Barclay was hurt.

Spriggs and Murphy are both on IR, so they don't create any numbers problem either. You can have as many on IR as you want.

My explanation was meant to be more sarcasm than reality. Your reasoning rings true.

I find detailed discussions about shuffling the bottom of the roster to be deeply depressing. Sign of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I find detailed discussions about shuffling the bottom of the roster to be deeply depressing. Sign of the times.
    OK Debbie downer. But some of us realize we're talking about a future pro bowl WR.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think Teamcheez was kidding about the depth chart of the injured OL.

However, your post gave me pause over one scenario. Barclay has played emergency tackle before. On the current roster, Taylor, McCray and Ulrick have (don't think Pankey made it into a game, did he?) been the emergency tackle. Taylor's play was sublime given he's always been a Guard.

However Taylor is hurt. He might be OK after the bye, but that's not certain. So they must have really like Ulrick is my guess, because MCCray at right tackle was a very big adventure.
    "Really like Ulrick" is probably more "satisfied with, compared to Barclay" who has never gotten back to his pre-ACL performance at RT. They might also be looking at bringing Spriggs back in a few weeks if needed. Looks like Murphy is out for the year after having foot surgery a couple weeks ago.

Good news, I heard yesterday that Taylor was close to being ready to play against NO, and should be back after the bye.