Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DOUGHERTY analysis and a COMPARISON of GREEN BAY versus the CLEVELAND BROWNS ROSTER MINUS the QB

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    actually Buluga was a pick in the 20's and when healthy he's pretty dam good
    Sure. But Bach, Lang, Taylor, Linsley, Sitton and Murphy weren't early round picks.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Last I heard the Browns don't have an in-house scouting department, they farm it out.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Yeah, this is McGinn-ish. Consider the timing (bye week) and need to consistently drive traffic to the site for ad revenue.

Look at the blues. Those are the guys who change games. None for either team without Rodgers. The Packers have three reds to the Browns’ one, and eight golds to the Browns’ five. So the Packers again come out ahead. But it doesn’t come close to accounting for the difference between these two teams.
    So sure, there are differences between some NFL rosters. Coaching matters, too. But a lot more often than not, one player separates teams in this league.
    Apparently, that one player isn't a red or gold. I'd say if you're grading a roster overall, I'd rather have more blues, reds, and golds than not...and GB has them over CLE in spite of their respective annual drafting slots.
    Draft talent tends to get sorted into tiers, and it's rare for GB to draft in that top tier.

I honestly don't think the roster -- when healthy -- is devoid of talent or on a par with Cleveland (whose defense is improved BTW). They have some depth issues, but every team does. Losing starters exposes that.
    Going into the season we could see they were taking some risks with their pass rush/OLB's and that has proved to be a losing proposition. I think that's where they've suffered the most...a pass rush helps the secondary, and can force 3-and-outs.
    King and Jones will get better over the season, and hopefully Burnett/HHCD will get healthy and back to playing like they can. Daniels is good, and Clark is up and coming. It's the LBs that need to force the issue IMO.

The pre-Hundley offense was pretty good despite all the OL shuffling. Haven't seen much in Hundley to make me think Rodgers' job is in danger, but maybe he'll be Matt Flynn 2.0.

The manic-depressive nature of NFL fandom is either hilarious or maddening, depending on your take.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Last I heard the Browns don't have an in-house scouting department, they farm it out.
    Nah, they have their own scouting organization. In fact, they signed one of our young scouts a year or so ago. I'm surprised more teams don't do that also.

Now how good the Brown-eyes scouting system is, I couldn't say.

The Bengals skimp in the scouting department, thought they have increased staff under Lewis.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The Bengals skimp in the scouting department, thought they have increased staff under Lewis.
    They skimp in every department:

-The owners daughter runs the cap "department" from spreadsheets on her computer. She royally screws 'em up, causing the team to lose players from time to time.

- A team broadcaster was asked to scout a player for an upcoming draft. He refused, he already had work to do to prepare for the game.

- There are many other examples which I could relate, but that is all the people need to know.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^^^ lol.

If Bob McGinn had scouted for the Pack in 2006, they would have traded down from AJ Hawk, received picks 12 and 20 and drafted Halioti Ngata and Tamba Hali (three way trade - Bob, who cares about the Packers, unlike TT, would've made it happen).

BRING BLACK BOB!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    He seems to have regressed as a passer. Is that even possible?

But it was just one game....
    I'll enjoy seeing Detroit @ Green Bay this week.

The Green Bay Packers are going to have their hands full as the Detroit Lions ran up about 500 Yards on 'O' and simply stalled time after time in the Red Zone. The Pittsburgh Steelers stole a Road Game win from Detroit.

Packer HC Mike McCarthy and his Coaching Staff are going to have to have his QB and all troops Fired Up come Sunday in Week 9.

Ohh there is 'no way' the Green Bay Packers are anything as bad as the Cleveland Browns.

It's in the fact that The NFL is a QB driven league. The NFL Power Ranked 31st Team San Fran 49ers just acquired the NE Pat's Backup Jimmy Garoppolo for what....a 2018 second-round pick I'm guessing that Bill Belichick was being kind to Jimmy Garoppolo here and not trading him to the what seems perennial worst NFL Team or the Cleveland Browns.

A. I swear that if the Green Bay Packers ever really resemble the Cleveland Browns my nearly six decade relationship with the Green Bay Packers as a dedicated fan will....................end.

B. .... Of course... I'll very likely turn to what too many here do and find every excuse for Packer failure.

Realistically A. will not become a reality and therefore I won't ever need to stoop to B.

GO PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 10-31-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

A very prominent 'wanna be Leader' south of my Canadian Border might say:

Fire DOUGHERTY ! FIRE his Ass.

How could a Green Bay Beat Writer ever publish such utter nonsense!?

It's somehow got to be a joke and he has a very dry sense of humour or PLEASE someone (anyone) call 911 as 'this Beat Writer' is in serious need of 'a Head Check'.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 10-31-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau