Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: other games (week 8)...

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Julius Peppers has 7.5 sacks (in eight games).

The Packers OLBs (Clay, Perry, Brooks, Fackrell, and Odom) have 7 combined.
    Which tells me it's not the players, it's the scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I agree. Micah Hyde is another example. He got an INT yesterday. He's now leading the league with 5. I think Capers is out of tricks that the rest of the league hasn't figured out.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Game 5 of the World Series is beyond great. Houston has almost outscored the Lions. A real slugfest. Unbelievable. It's 12-9 in the 8th.
    And they weren't done!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Peppers has a lot more D line help in pass rush.

I am starting to come around more to the coaching side of the problem, but pass rushing deficit on Packers is also a matter of talent.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

bears TE zach miller could lose his leg after dislocating his knee yesterday

doctors are trying hard to save it

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/doctors...133453600.html

Last edited by red; 10-30-2017 at 09:28 AM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Maybe it's the surrounding players. If they don't take up defenders, it's easier to slide protection to Peppers. It's probably both. Addison and Short are pretty tough hombres.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Maybe it's the surrounding players. If they don't take up defenders, it's easier to slide protection to Peppers. It's probably both. Addison and Short are pretty tough hombres.
    Hey Rand, have you given any thought to the Packers switching to a 4/3 defense? That would probably mean a different D-Coordinator, and it may mean we could get another tough hombres on the line. I saw this article and it made sense to me, but then I'm not an x's and o's guy. hahahaha

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...apers-seahawks
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

terrible injury.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Hey Rand, have you given any thought to the Packers switching to a 4/3 defense? That would probably mean a different D-Coordinator, and it may mean we could get another tough hombres on the line. I saw this article and it made sense to me, but then I'm not an x's and o's guy. hahahaha

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...apers-seahawks
    All for a switch to a 4-3 and a new DC. I just think the 3-4 lends itself to DCs getting too cute with their calls and makes a defense more complicated than it needs to be especially for their own players. Thus you get what we have when seemingly players are playing different coverage on far too many plays.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    All for a switch to a 4-3 and a new DC. I just think the 3-4 lends itself to DCs getting too cute with their calls and makes a defense more complicated than it needs to be especially for their own players. Thus you get what we have when seemingly players are playing different coverage on far too many plays.
    How would Clark and Daniels do in a 4-3? Right now, they are both playing outstandingly, taking on double teams and winning the battles.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Capers and Trgo both told me they like versatility and the ability to play multiple fronts and looks with the exact same personnel on the field. For example, Peppers and Perry can play DE or OLB. But honestly, mostly these two look silly dropping into coverage, even though Peppers made a play or two there. They do get too cute with the zone blitz looks sometimes, but really, the problem is more personnel than scheme. Packers have some good solid players, but very little exceptionalism. That's why Peppers stood out so much. Because when he was on, he could make athletic plays, get that strip/sack recovery, get that INT. Clay used to be able to do that, but it appears that's mostly gone. Perry is great against the run, and can generate some pressure, but he needs help to really stand out routinely.

The article Maxi posted suggested man coverage. Man or Zone, if this defense can't generate pressure, they are going to continue to get shredded by crossing patterns.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    How would Clark and Daniels do in a 4-3? Right now, they are both playing outstandingly, taking on double teams and winning the battles.
    It would be nice to see some pressure from the outside so that they can't be doubled so much.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    But if you look at our D we really are playing a 4 man front 65% of the time. Two DL and the two OLB playing up on the line.

Watching the PITT game last night what stood out to me is that they would put 5 or 6 guys on the line on passing downs and then drop some back. DET never knew where the pass rush was coming from. DET's OL was able to handle the confusion but most teams so far this year haven't been able to figure it out.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I think Daniels, Clark and Lowry would be a very good DT trio in a 4-3. I don't think they should necessarily go to a 4-3. I think they should find the best DC candidate available out there, regardless of whether he favors a 4-3 or 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    But if you look at our D we really are playing a 4 man front 65% of the time. Two DL and the two OLB playing up on the line.

Watching the PITT game last night what stood out to me is that they would put 5 or 6 guys on the line on passing downs and then drop some back. DET never knew where the pass rush was coming from. DET's OL was able to handle the confusion but most teams so far this year haven't been able to figure it out.

But several of those guys have to be able to both rush the passer and reasonably cover. Steelers can do that with You, Me and Dupree (Shazier, and Watt, and Bud Dupree) as well as others.

The author pretty much is saying that Josh Jones should play LB instead of Jake Ryan. Some of us have suggested that long ago. He could be like a faster Shazier. Don't know how he stands up to the run over the long haul...

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Wow. Just wow. I hope they can save his leg. That's a scary/terrible injury. Don't care what team he plays for, that's just horrible.

I agree with this. Years ago when Capers arrived his scheming put pressure on opposing QB's and DC's because they'd have to attack something they might not have seen before or something they weren't too accustomed to. Now I think Capers 3/4 is just too easy to figure out. Teams have seen it and can deal with it.

I also like the idea of wearing down the other guy's fat guys with four fat guys of our own on every down. That way when they do rush a LB or two, it will be unexpected and probably more effective. We just need a more consistent push up front.

I also think it simplifies things which would allow our defensive guys to be thinking less and reacting more.

To work well Capers' system requires big guys who are exceptional athletes at LB like Peppers, Matthews and Perry. There's not too many of that type guy around, especially at the position we usually draft.

Another advantage of a simplified 4/3 defense just occurred to me. That is that when injuries occur it wouldn't screw up our defense as much. The learning curve wouldn't be as steep and assignments wouldn't be missed by the replacements so frequently.

I think the lack of pass rush has been more a matter of Clay Matthews being a step slower, Perry having a low ceiling, talent-wise, Peppers being gone, and Fackrell being generally mediocre than a matter of scheme. It's a long shot, but hopoefully Vince Biegel can provide some pass rush help. I have always been a supporter of Capers, and I still think his scheming is the only thing saving the Packers from a worse case of mediocrity on defense.

A 4-3 is usually a lot more dependent on talent - beating your opponent straight up - than the 3-4 where there is flexibility for scheming, and we seem to be lacking in talent.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

This is what I always thought the 3-4 was all about. You rush your 3 down guys plus one other, but which of the 4 LB's rush is unpredictable. By picking supposed DE/LB hybrids, you lose flexibility and the system effectively becomes a mediocre 4-3. It can still work if some players are exceptional, but the Packers don't have any exceptional pass rushers in the front 7.

The result of bad personnel decisions is even more predictable than the Packers defense.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!