Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Official Lions Week

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Burnett a full participant
    The defense does seem to function a bit better when he's on the field. It'd be interesting to see DVOA splits.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    yep. The middle is a tire fire without Burnett.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

The Packers lost a second long snapper to injury on Thursday when Pepper went down with a broken foot. Inside of adding an unknown, the Packers brought back Hart, who was the only long snapper on the roster to start training camp. He had a few recurring issues this summer and eventually lost the job to Brett Goode, who was then injured in Week 3.
    Only the Packers could lose 2 long snappers to injury in the same year.

Wow. How does this happen? Someone kill a sheep.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Don't say that! The Packers have had just about every other injury, we don't need anyone to sever anything.
    No kidding!

It's strange that without one player - Rodgers - suddenly what would have been considered a very probable win for the Packers becomes a "we'll be lucky to upset the Lions" game.

This does make me wonder if it's Dom Capers's time to go. According to a recent Bleacherreport (I think) article, the trend toward playing more conservatively on offense means Capers's "big play" defense design does not work so well. That's why the short, middle-of-the-field stuff works so well against his defenses. I wonder if he's a dinosaur now.

It's also fair to wonder if Thompson somehow just does not draft as well on defense as he does on offense. That seems counterintuitive - isn't identifying talent identifying talent, no matter whether it's offense or defense? - but it's possible. After all, it's safe to say that Ted's had a lot of misses on defense. A lot. Datone Jones was a whiff. Quinten Rollins was a whiff. Randall may be, too. And there are others.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It's strange that without one player - Rodgers - suddenly what would have been considered a very probable win for the Packers becomes a "we'll be lucky to upset the Lions" game.

This does make me wonder if it's Dom Capers's time to go. According to a recent Bleacherreport (I think) article, the trend toward playing more conservatively on offense means Capers's "big play" defense design does not work so well. That's why the short, middle-of-the-field stuff works so well against his defenses. I wonder if he's a dinosaur now.

It's also fair to wonder if Thompson somehow just does not draft as well on defense as he does on offense. That seems counterintuitive - isn't identifying talent identifying talent, no matter whether it's offense or defense? - but it's possible. After all, it's safe to say that Ted's had a lot of misses on defense. A lot. Datone Jones was a whiff. Quinten Rollins was a whiff. Randall may be, too. And there are others.
    The reason we have a defense that depends upon a big play is because we have the best player in the league at QB. Getting turnovers is key to our success so we can get the ball back in AR's hand. Our entire team is built around his superior skill set so when he goes down things went south in a hurry. We got 2 turnovers against the Saints. Had #12 been in there we most likely score off those TOs and the game is entirely different. Teams also play us differently with Hundley under center than they would with AR. Now teams will load the box and dare Brett to beat us - there is no way in hell they would do that normally. It will now be up to Hundley to use his legs and make just enough plays to keep us in the playoff hunt. If he can't we should keep AR on the shelf, get a high pick for change and go after it in 2018.

This might be a good point, but I wonder if it would be better for the defense to be able to get more 3-and-outs instead of taking chances on getting takeaways, which are harder to come by and come in streaks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I've also thought about how he can hit on most all the offensive positions, while being average at best with the defensive picks. This from a man who had a career in the NFL as a defensive player.

This does make me wonder if it's Dom Capers's time to go.
    both sides of the ball suck now. a borderline d can't survive if it can't get off the field. when it does get off the field (after giving up points, or getting a lucky turnover) the O promptly goes 3 and out hanging the D out to dry. rinse/repeat. not enough talent on this team, on both sides of the ball, to overcome the loss of Rodgers. drafting from the back of each round, poor talent evaluation, passive FA participation, bad luck, and putting the $ ahead of the W, have this team where it is. changes upstairs need to be made in philosophy. that means a head or two will have to roll.

after seeing the NO debacle i have no confidence in this team going forward this season. Rodgers would be crazy to go out there before next sept. let's just ride this out, hope the off-season goes well, get our top 15 pick, look at our 3rd/4th place schedule for next year, and smile.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    I've also thought about how he can hit on most all the offensive positions, while being average at best with the defensive picks. This from a man who had a career in the NFL as a defensive player.
    He "can hit" on O Linemen? Come On! Or even RBs for that matter - hopefully Aaron Jones proves to be the exception, but otherwise, the picks there have been pretty crappy. TEs? nothing much there. Even WR is questionable - how much are they really quality players, and how much is just from playing with Aaron Rodgers?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Eddie Lacy was rookie of the year. Pretty good pick at RB if you ask me. Too bad he ate himself out of GB.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

After all, it's safe to say that Ted's had a lot of misses on defense. A lot. Datone Jones was a whiff. Quinten Rollins was a whiff. Randall may be, too. And there are others.
    I'm ready to hang them if we are ugly tomorrow coming off the bye week, but this is kinda silly. Nick Collins, Clay Mathews, Raji, Clark (he is good), Williams and Shields as undrafted guys we targeted, Hyde, Hayward, etc.

TT has drafted some talented guys. I really do think its the game plan and coaching.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau