Thread: More Banjo: Week 9 vs. Detroit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    yes.

It may be that the offense became so tuned to Rodger's special skill set, that it's just going to take considerable time to adjust it for someone else. The Coaches obviously know this because they went to the dink and dunk game (as Maxi points out, because this is Hundley's 'strength'). But that path quickly died because the other team has a defense and adjusted. They're going to have to go to another plan with route combinations that get WRs open. Receivers are going to have to learn to compete for the ball instead of catching perfect back shoulder or sideline fades/combacks or getting third opportunity passes as they sit down in a zone or open spot vacated by defenders pursuing Rodgers avoiding the pass rush for 6 second.

If they can't improve O-line play so that they can run the ball and get real play-action opportunities, they are totally finished. The O-line was awful last night.
    I really do think that Hundley has a problem avoiding the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. Arod is a master of this. Maybe Hundley will improve with experience. But right now, he's still a mess. How many times last night did Hundley scramble to buy time only to unload the ball to a receiver at or behind the line of scrimmage? Did Cobb, Nelson and Adams stop moving? Or was Hundley just unable to find them? I think it was the latter. Some QB's have a knack for it (Russell Wilson, Arod); some don't.

It's too bad we lost Taysom Hill. That kid had the knack. So does Callahan. Hundley not so much. And with our O-line, the QB extending plays and throwing downfield is a big part of our game.

Hundley is Packer people, a real quality lad. I think this plays a part in Stubby and company desperately wanting him to succeed.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I really do think that Hundley has a problem avoiding the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. Arod is a master of this. Maybe Hundley will improve with experience. But right now, he's still a mess. How many times last night did Hundley scramble to buy time only to unload the ball to a receiver at or behind the line of scrimmage? Did Cobb, Nelson and Adams stop moving? Or was Hundley just unable to find them? I think it was the latter. Some QB's have a knack for it (Russell Wilson, Arod); some don't.

It's too bad we lost Taysom Hill. That kid had the knack. So does Callahan. Hundley not so much. And with our O-line, the QB extending plays and throwing downfield is a big part of our game.

Hundley is Packer people, a real quality lad. I think this plays a part in Stubby and company desperately wanting him to succeed.
    Hundley had more knack than either Callahan or Hill in the preseason two years ago. The truth is you don't know this and you can't know this until they're running against the starters in a regular season game.

This game is tough, and sure there are some gaps and improvements that need to be made. But this offense was a step up versus the one against the Saints (except for Aaron Jones). It isn't a tire fire. Just a lot of overreactions. The D...now that's another story.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Hundley had more knack than either Callahan or Hill in the preseason two years ago. The truth is you don't know this and you can't know this until they're running against the starters in a regular season game.

This game is tough, and sure there are some gaps and improvements that need to be made. But this offense was a step up versus the one against the Saints (except for Aaron Jones). It isn't a tire fire. Just a lot of overreactions. The D...now that's another story.
    Maybe I'm wrong about Callahan and Hill, but not about Hundley. Not from what I saw the last two weeks. And yeah, considering it was a home game after a bye week against Detroit, it's pretty much a tire fire.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Maybe I'm wrong about Callahan and Hill, but not about Hundley. Not from what I saw the last two weeks. And yeah, considering it was a home game after a bye week against Detroit, it's pretty much a tire fire.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Callahan and Hill would be so much worse against starting NFL talent. Hundley was a fifth round pick. Even with a bye week to prepare, he needs game experience to elevate to mimicking a full time starter.

You're being impatient if you thought Hundley would be all world within two and a half games. So no, not a tire fire. They're still figuring out what works. And when he started pushing the ball down the field (2 minute drill & second half), he showed good ball placement and such. The D couldn't help him though. Not in this game.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Callahan and Hill would be so much worse against starting NFL talent. Hundley was a fifth round pick. Even with a bye week to prepare, he needs game experience to elevate to mimicking a full time starter.

You're being impatient if you thought Hundley would be all world within two and a half games. So no, not a tire fire. They're still figuring out what works. And when he started pushing the ball down the field (2 minute drill & second half), he showed good ball placement and such. The D couldn't help him though. Not in this game.
    You predicting something better next Sunday at Soldier Field? I say the tire fire will still be burning and Trubisky outplays Hundley.

You predicting something better next Sunday at Soldier Field? I say the tire fire will still be burning and Trubisky outplays Hundley.
    Yes. I predict the offense will look better next week. Even the Packers offense with Rodgers looks that bad sometimes (the first half reminded me a lot of late 2015/early 2016). I don't think the D is as bad overall as many people on here claim. I think they had a bad game. I don't think the O is as permanently bad as it appeared yesterday. I think Hundley will keep improving, but yesterday was not all on him. Far from it.

Trubisky might outplay Hundley (Top 5 pick vs Round 5 pick), but we'll see (I haven't watched any Bears games, so I have no idea how quickly Trubi is picking up the NFL pace).

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Yes. I predict the offense will look better next week. Even the Packers offense with Rodgers looks that bad sometimes (the first half reminded me a lot of late 2015/early 2016). I don't think the D is as bad overall as many people on here claim. I think they had a bad game. I don't think the O is as permanently bad as it appeared yesterday. I think Hundley will keep improving, but yesterday was not all on him. Far from it.

Trubisky might outplay Hundley (Top 5 pick vs Round 5 pick), but we'll see (I haven't watched any Bears games, so I have no idea how quickly Trubi is picking up the NFL pace).
    Just thinking of the games we saw at Lambeau this year. The first half of the CIN game and the first half of the DET the offensive production was about the same. The Packers got booed off the field at halftime against CIN.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I liked Hill better than Callahan and Hill is on the Saint's active roster, unfortunately.