Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
Is it just me or are teams with back-up quarterbacks still able to score a little bit and pass the ball down the field at all? I am not exaggerating or being disenguous when I say that I think Nelson is just really slow and a possession receiver, Adams doesn't have any speed or separation, and Randall is just too small and more quick than fast. The same problem we had in 2015 seems to still exist.

I'm not sure if it's a speed thing, or just a play calling thing, or how people are playing us. Ultimately our passing game is lackluster and it doesn't seem like our receivers ever break free and get some space. I can't remember the last time we caught a crossing route in stride.
A lot of teams have limited backups and end up with very short passing games. Its one of the reasons X and O Twitter is screaming about the stupidity of not signing Kaepernick.

However, even if the backup is capable, unless he has started before, the offense will need to change, even if the QB "knows" the offense. These guys aren't clones and run highly tailored schemes. So signing CK or running with an untested backup means there will be a few weeks of bad offense while they figure it out.

Unless you are the Patriots and have it all schemed out already.