Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 9 vs. Detroit

Is it just me or are teams with back-up quarterbacks still able to score a little bit and pass the ball down the field at all? I am not exaggerating or being disenguous when I say that I think Nelson is just really slow and a possession receiver, Adams doesn't have any speed or separation, and Randall is just too small and more quick than fast. The same problem we had in 2015 seems to still exist.

I'm not sure if it's a speed thing, or just a play calling thing, or how people are playing us. Ultimately our passing game is lackluster and it doesn't seem like our receivers ever break free and get some space. I can't remember the last time we caught a crossing route in stride.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    The Packers threw the ball 18 times in the first half, and 13 were 5 or fewer yards downfield according to Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin. Eight of those passes were behind the line of scrimmage. When ESPN showed Hundley’s chart after his first eight passes, only one pass had gone more than a yard beyond the line. That one “long” throw was less than 10 yards downfield. The Packers and Hundley had no desire to pass the ball downfield, and good luck winning that way. The only time the Packers got anything going downfield was in the no-huddle offense as they were desperately trying to catch up. Maybe Green Bay needs to go with that full time.

It was over before it even began
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Is it just me or are teams with back-up quarterbacks still able to score a little bit and pass the ball down the field at all? I am not exaggerating or being disenguous when I say that I think Nelson is just really slow and a possession receiver, Adams doesn't have any speed or separation, and Randall is just too small and more quick than fast. The same problem we had in 2015 seems to still exist.

I'm not sure if it's a speed thing, or just a play calling thing, or how people are playing us. Ultimately our passing game is lackluster and it doesn't seem like our receivers ever break free and get some space. I can't remember the last time we caught a crossing route in stride.
    A lot of teams have limited backups and end up with very short passing games. Its one of the reasons X and O Twitter is screaming about the stupidity of not signing Kaepernick.

However, even if the backup is capable, unless he has started before, the offense will need to change, even if the QB "knows" the offense. These guys aren't clones and run highly tailored schemes. So signing CK or running with an untested backup means there will be a few weeks of bad offense while they figure it out.

Unless you are the Patriots and have it all schemed out already.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'm sure 82 caught one pass
    Kendricks had 2 catches.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

It was a pussified effort. By the game planning and the execution. Who really stepped up and played with aggressive passion? Nelson looked like a fool on two plays where he could have draw interference penalties, because he was a pussy. Daniels looked like a fool because he got aggressive for no reason when they actually forced a three and out. He's a head-butting pussy too. But the biggest pussy was Stubby, with a total fail of a concept from the start. Imagine what the players were thinking: We're gonna run a bunch of plays, but never really get the ball in the hands of our three WRs down the field. Just tight-assed fail coaching. At least go for the gusto. Maybe you get sacked. Maybe you throw a few INTs. But at least the team will know you're trying. Oh and Clay Matthews looked like the biggest pussy of all. Because he's supposed to be a team leader, and he was totally ineffective. And if you're gonna go max blitz, teach your corners to plaster and hold - hell, maybe they get away with a few - Slay sure does. But they won't touch receivers because they've been taught to cover like pussies.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

It was a pussified effort. By the game planning and the execution. Who really stepped up and played with aggressive passion? Nelson looked like a fool on two plays where he could have draw interference penalties, because he was a pussy. Daniels looked like a fool because he got aggressive for no reason when they actually forced a three and out. He's a head-butting pussy too. But the biggest pussy was Stubby, with a total fail of a concept from the start. Imagine what the players were thinking: We're gonna run a bunch of plays, but never really get the ball in the hands of our three WRs down the field. Just tight-assed fail coaching. At least go for the gusto. Maybe you get sacked. Maybe you throw a few INTs. But at least the team will know you're trying. Oh and Clay Matthews looked like the biggest pussy of all. Because he's supposed to be a team leader, and he was totally ineffective. And if you're gonna go max blitz, teach your corners to plaster and hold - hell, maybe they get away with a few - Slay sure does. But they won't touch receivers because they've been taught to cover like pussies.
    Everybody likes Pussy but that is more pussy than most guys can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    TEs had zero catches. Didn't Rick Rod play with Hundley in preseason and have some success?

Lenny Pipkins got the slot job after Randall went out. Randall did come back in. Rollins nowhere to be seen. Hawkins was outside when King got evaluated. King returned.
    Rollins is on IR.

so much for fuckdoggles. We can't even manage a dogfuckle.
    Didn't Biegel force a fumble?

No DB can stick with a receiver when the QB has all day to sit in the pocket.

Our WRs have had issues getting separation for years but #12 is one of the few QBs alive who can throw guys open like he does. Is it the players or how they are coached the reason our guys are never open?

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Unfortunately the author of this article is correct. We are unwatchable without #12 but I'm hoping this mess will force changes this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    No DB can stick with a receiver when the QB has all day to sit in the pocket.

Our WRs have had issues getting separation for years but #12 is one of the few QBs alive who can throw guys open like he does. Is it the players or how they are coached the reason our guys are never open?
    The double post route detailed by Chucky showed a lot. They seem to have a bunch set and run 2 guys off to clear a zone. If the third guy doesn’t beat his man, the play is lost. The WR either can’t get open on their own or something is amiss in the scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Stafford is an amazing player but what is with the defense? Can they get a stop at all? No pass rush, no coverage.

What's with the receivers and routes they run? I feel like our best receiver is the #3 in Detroit. I would take Golden Tate and Marvin Jones over all three of ours. Am I the only one?

Why are the Lion receivers always running free across the middle and our guys are super blanketed? WTF!
    You have to be careful with the conclusions you draw about other teams offenses when you only see them play against the Packers D. We make average/bad QB's and WR's look like all stars.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I posted this a week or so ago. Now put it in the context of last night's game...

BRETT HUNDLEY

From 2015 NFL Draft Tracker:

Weaknesses
    Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by play action-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

Draft Projection Round 4 or 5

Sources Tell Us
    "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

NFL Comparison Jason Campbell

Bottom Line
    Hundley flashes athleticism and talent, but his basic quarterbacking issues will take time to improve. In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense. Hundley is a "flash" prospect who shows the physical tools to be a starter, but his internal clock and issues with reads and progressions must be improved to give him a shot at becoming a decent NFL starter.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 2m2 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Hundley, continued: "He’s got what it takes. He has it in his body, he has it in his mind and he definitely has the heart."

Jason Wilde‏Verified account @jasonjwilde 5m5 minutes ago
    #Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Brett Hundley: "I have great faith in Brett Hundley. Brett Hundley is not our issue right now."
    Stubby!!!...You gotta love him. LOL
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I buy that the early game plan was a bunch of easy throws to get the kid comfortable. The first drive was OK.

But the transition to whatever else was in the game plan was horrible until the 2 minute drive at the half.

And that 2 minute drive should tell M3 what his QB likes to do more than the first drive.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Is it the players or how they are coached the reason our guys are never open?
    yes.

It may be that the offense became so tuned to Rodger's special skill set, that it's just going to take considerable time to adjust it for someone else. The Coaches obviously know this because they went to the dink and dunk game (as Maxi points out, because this is Hundley's 'strength'). But that path quickly died because the other team has a defense and adjusted. They're going to have to go to another plan with route combinations that get WRs open. Receivers are going to have to learn to compete for the ball instead of catching perfect back shoulder or sideline fades/combacks or getting third opportunity passes as they sit down in a zone or open spot vacated by defenders pursuing Rodgers avoiding the pass rush for 6 second.

If they can't improve O-line play so that they can run the ball and get real play-action opportunities, they are totally finished. The O-line was awful last night.

Silverstein in JSO: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ons/837404001/

“They line up, motion, check, check,” cornerback Davon House said. “When we were in man or zero, they’d see what we were doing.

“They did a good job of self-scouting us. They did their homework, too.”

A defense like that needs a pass rush and its not getting it.

yes.

It may be that the offense became so tuned to Rodger's special skill set, that it's just going to take considerable time to adjust it for someone else. The Coaches obviously know this because they went to the dink and dunk game (as Maxi points out, because this is Hundley's 'strength'). But that path quickly died because the other team has a defense and adjusted. They're going to have to go to another plan with route combinations that get WRs open. Receivers are going to have to learn to compete for the ball instead of catching perfect back shoulder or sideline fades/combacks or getting third opportunity passes as they sit down in a zone or open spot vacated by defenders pursuing Rodgers avoiding the pass rush for 6 second.

If they can't improve O-line play so that they can run the ball and get real play-action opportunities, they are totally finished. The O-line was awful last night.
    I really do think that Hundley has a problem avoiding the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. Arod is a master of this. Maybe Hundley will improve with experience. But right now, he's still a mess. How many times last night did Hundley scramble to buy time only to unload the ball to a receiver at or behind the line of scrimmage? Did Cobb, Nelson and Adams stop moving? Or was Hundley just unable to find them? I think it was the latter. Some QB's have a knack for it (Russell Wilson, Arod); some don't.

It's too bad we lost Taysom Hill. That kid had the knack. So does Callahan. Hundley not so much. And with our O-line, the QB extending plays and throwing downfield is a big part of our game.

Hundley is Packer people, a real quality lad. I think this plays a part in Stubby and company desperately wanting him to succeed.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

^ Hundley's scouting report may say he likes the short throws best. But he looked plenty willing to fire in the middle of the field during the 2 minute drills. Some of that may be the defense, but some of those plays were also against man coverage.

The problem was there wasn't anything else after the opening drive.

I do agree his biggest problem was re-setting after sensing pressure. He had one pocket where he could have jumped forward two steps to but time. Instead he bailed and lost Bulaga's protection.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ^ Hundley's scouting report may say he likes the short throws best. But he looked plenty willing to fire in the middle of the field during the 2 minute drills. Some of that may be the defense, but some of those plays were also against man coverage.

The problem was there wasn't anything else after the opening drive.

I do agree his biggest problem was re-setting after sensing pressure. He had one pocket where he could have jumped forward two steps to but time. Instead he bailed and lost Bulaga's protection.
    Old habits die hard. There was a reason he stuck around till the 5th round. Maybe TT felt that Stubby could drum some of his bad habits out of him and they'd found a diamond in the rough. We'll find out over the second half of the season 'cause I don't think they'll give up on him.