Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 9 vs. Detroit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    No DB can stick with a receiver when the QB has all day to sit in the pocket.

Our WRs have had issues getting separation for years but #12 is one of the few QBs alive who can throw guys open like he does. Is it the players or how they are coached the reason our guys are never open?
    The double post route detailed by Chucky showed a lot. They seem to have a bunch set and run 2 guys off to clear a zone. If the third guy doesn’t beat his man, the play is lost. The WR either can’t get open on their own or something is amiss in the scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Is it the players or how they are coached the reason our guys are never open?
    yes.

It may be that the offense became so tuned to Rodger's special skill set, that it's just going to take considerable time to adjust it for someone else. The Coaches obviously know this because they went to the dink and dunk game (as Maxi points out, because this is Hundley's 'strength'). But that path quickly died because the other team has a defense and adjusted. They're going to have to go to another plan with route combinations that get WRs open. Receivers are going to have to learn to compete for the ball instead of catching perfect back shoulder or sideline fades/combacks or getting third opportunity passes as they sit down in a zone or open spot vacated by defenders pursuing Rodgers avoiding the pass rush for 6 second.

If they can't improve O-line play so that they can run the ball and get real play-action opportunities, they are totally finished. The O-line was awful last night.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    yes.

It may be that the offense became so tuned to Rodger's special skill set, that it's just going to take considerable time to adjust it for someone else. The Coaches obviously know this because they went to the dink and dunk game (as Maxi points out, because this is Hundley's 'strength'). But that path quickly died because the other team has a defense and adjusted. They're going to have to go to another plan with route combinations that get WRs open. Receivers are going to have to learn to compete for the ball instead of catching perfect back shoulder or sideline fades/combacks or getting third opportunity passes as they sit down in a zone or open spot vacated by defenders pursuing Rodgers avoiding the pass rush for 6 second.

If they can't improve O-line play so that they can run the ball and get real play-action opportunities, they are totally finished. The O-line was awful last night.
    I really do think that Hundley has a problem avoiding the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. Arod is a master of this. Maybe Hundley will improve with experience. But right now, he's still a mess. How many times last night did Hundley scramble to buy time only to unload the ball to a receiver at or behind the line of scrimmage? Did Cobb, Nelson and Adams stop moving? Or was Hundley just unable to find them? I think it was the latter. Some QB's have a knack for it (Russell Wilson, Arod); some don't.

It's too bad we lost Taysom Hill. That kid had the knack. So does Callahan. Hundley not so much. And with our O-line, the QB extending plays and throwing downfield is a big part of our game.

Hundley is Packer people, a real quality lad. I think this plays a part in Stubby and company desperately wanting him to succeed.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

yes.

If our WRs can finally learn how to compete for the ball and get separation so our QB doesn't have to hang onto the ball forever imagine what they'll be able to do when Godgers comes back in 2018.

I posted this a week or so ago. Now put it in the context of last night's game...

BRETT HUNDLEY

From 2015 NFL Draft Tracker:

Weaknesses
    Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by play action-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

Draft Projection Round 4 or 5

Sources Tell Us
    "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

NFL Comparison Jason Campbell

Bottom Line
    Hundley flashes athleticism and talent, but his basic quarterbacking issues will take time to improve. In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense. Hundley is a "flash" prospect who shows the physical tools to be a starter, but his internal clock and issues with reads and progressions must be improved to give him a shot at becoming a decent NFL starter.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 2m2 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Hundley, continued: "He’s got what it takes. He has it in his body, he has it in his mind and he definitely has the heart."

Jason Wilde‏Verified account @jasonjwilde 5m5 minutes ago
    #Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Brett Hundley: "I have great faith in Brett Hundley. Brett Hundley is not our issue right now."
    Stubby!!!...You gotta love him. LOL
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

I buy that the early game plan was a bunch of easy throws to get the kid comfortable. The first drive was OK.

But the transition to whatever else was in the game plan was horrible until the 2 minute drive at the half.

And that 2 minute drive should tell M3 what his QB likes to do more than the first drive.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Silverstein in JSO: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ons/837404001/

“They line up, motion, check, check,” cornerback Davon House said. “When we were in man or zero, they’d see what we were doing.

“They did a good job of self-scouting us. They did their homework, too.”

A defense like that needs a pass rush and its not getting it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

^ Hundley's scouting report may say he likes the short throws best. But he looked plenty willing to fire in the middle of the field during the 2 minute drills. Some of that may be the defense, but some of those plays were also against man coverage.

The problem was there wasn't anything else after the opening drive.

I do agree his biggest problem was re-setting after sensing pressure. He had one pocket where he could have jumped forward two steps to but time. Instead he bailed and lost Bulaga's protection.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ^ Hundley's scouting report may say he likes the short throws best. But he looked plenty willing to fire in the middle of the field during the 2 minute drills. Some of that may be the defense, but some of those plays were also against man coverage.

The problem was there wasn't anything else after the opening drive.

I do agree his biggest problem was re-setting after sensing pressure. He had one pocket where he could have jumped forward two steps to but time. Instead he bailed and lost Bulaga's protection.
    Old habits die hard. There was a reason he stuck around till the 5th round. Maybe TT felt that Stubby could drum some of his bad habits out of him and they'd found a diamond in the rough. We'll find out over the second half of the season 'cause I don't think they'll give up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Old habits die hard. There was a reason he stuck around till the 5th round. Maybe TT felt that Stubby could drum some of his bad habits out of him and they'd found a diamond in the rough. We'll find out over the second half of the season 'cause I don't think they'll give up on him.
    I think you may have hit upon the truth here. They probably did think Mike could make a silk purse out of sow's ear like he did with Flynn. It isn't a mortal sin that a QB we picked in the 5th round isn't the second coming of Russell Wilson. If Hundley was a higher pick then this might be a major mistake. Brett might be one of those players who looks better at practice than he does in games.

Can MM let Hundley throw a pass down the field more than once or twice in a half?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Can MM let Hundley throw a pass down the field more than once or twice in a half?
    Be careful what you wish for. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. LOL
    At this point, Maxie, what's the difference? The defense is a sieve. Let's see what Hundley's got - or not got.

I'm really sour on this team, this defensive coordinator, and maybe even the HC. And beyond that, maybe TT's getting stale, too. I dunno. Maybe the ship will right to some extent, but that looked like a really lousy, unprepared effort given they were coming off a bye.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

At this point, Maxie, what's the difference? The defense is a sieve. Let's see what Hundley's got - or not got.

I'm really sour on this team, this defensive coordinator, and maybe even the HC. And beyond that, maybe TT's getting stale, too. I dunno. Maybe the ship will right to some extent, but that looked like a really lousy, unprepared effort given they were coming off a bye.
    I'm in the same boat as you believe me. I guess I'm just more sour on what Hundley's "not got." At this point I'd rather see Callahan play. At least it would make the game less boring.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The defense is a sieve.
    It's more like an organized retreat, like the retreat to the 38th parallel following the Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

It's more like an organized retreat, like the retreat to the 38th parallel following the Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River.
    That's the terrible irony. With Burnett out there, this is the best coordinated backfield in a while (Randall's brain farts aside). So they aren't getting beat deep.

But they are getting gashed underneath way too easily.

This has been going on since Kurt Warner tore them apart years ago against what we thought was a rebuilt unit.

You cannot survive that way without pass rush.

If there is an argument for the entire staff to get the boot, its that they have become WAY too Stubby. That is Belichick's advantage each game.

I'm not down on Stubby just yet. It isn't easy to have a functional offense with a QB who has issues reading defenses. Last night we had everyone back on offense but #12 so if things aren't working it has to be that position.

Wasn't all the coach's play calling: http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...93791587c.html

McCarthy's approach was curious as well. Much like the Saints game, Hundley was reduced to throwing short, safe passes, mostly screens and passes to the flat. Hundley said downfield passes were called but weren't available. Still, it wasn't until the second half that he completed a pass with a throw that carried 10 or more yards down the field, a big reason Green Bay was 2-for-9 on third-down conversions.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Got back from the game late last night. Here are my impressions.

1. I don't know why the opposing team has a punter on the active roster when they play the Packers. You are wasting a roster slot.
    2. Daniels may be the defensive leader but that is twice already this year on the opening drive that the D has gotten a stop on 3rd down and he gets a roughing call. A leader doesn't do that. Daniels got chewed out on the bench after that series.
    3. Capers needs to go. He might have a great scheme and all, but team after team does the same thing. Run the WRs deep or up the field and let the slot WR, TE or RB run across the middle. Every team does the same thing. You need to change it up.
    4. Hundley did well for his 2nd start when he was allowed to throw the ball down the field. That long ball to Adams was a dart that reminded me of ARod. The ball didn't get more that 15 feet above the ground. If he puts just a touch more air on that Adams gets more than his finger tips on the ball.
    5. Too much throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage and too many misdirection runs with a crossing WR or in motion RB. That 4th down Cobb run was a perfect example.
    6. The DET CBs didn't respect the Packer WRs. They played mostly tight and the refs let them grab and bump and hand fight. We had more success when we ran quick slants and crossing routes when the D didn't have time to grab and clutch.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Hundley's adjusted net yards per attempt was about 6.5. That's not HoF or even player of the week. But its borderline functional.

If they can extract a 4 quarter offense from the first drive and the 2 minute drills, he might be able to do this. Time and experience will give him some more pocket awareness.