Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 9 vs. Detroit

Can MM let Hundley throw a pass down the field more than once or twice in a half?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Can MM let Hundley throw a pass down the field more than once or twice in a half?
    Be careful what you wish for. LOL
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Wasn't all the coach's play calling: http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...93791587c.html

McCarthy's approach was curious as well. Much like the Saints game, Hundley was reduced to throwing short, safe passes, mostly screens and passes to the flat. Hundley said downfield passes were called but weren't available. Still, it wasn't until the second half that he completed a pass with a throw that carried 10 or more yards down the field, a big reason Green Bay was 2-for-9 on third-down conversions.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. LOL
    At this point, Maxie, what's the difference? The defense is a sieve. Let's see what Hundley's got - or not got.

I'm really sour on this team, this defensive coordinator, and maybe even the HC. And beyond that, maybe TT's getting stale, too. I dunno. Maybe the ship will right to some extent, but that looked like a really lousy, unprepared effort given they were coming off a bye.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

At this point, Maxie, what's the difference? The defense is a sieve. Let's see what Hundley's got - or not got.

I'm really sour on this team, this defensive coordinator, and maybe even the HC. And beyond that, maybe TT's getting stale, too. I dunno. Maybe the ship will right to some extent, but that looked like a really lousy, unprepared effort given they were coming off a bye.
    I'm in the same boat as you believe me. I guess I'm just more sour on what Hundley's "not got." At this point I'd rather see Callahan play. At least it would make the game less boring.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The defense is a sieve.
    It's more like an organized retreat, like the retreat to the 38th parallel following the Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Got back from the game late last night. Here are my impressions.

1. I don't know why the opposing team has a punter on the active roster when they play the Packers. You are wasting a roster slot.
    2. Daniels may be the defensive leader but that is twice already this year on the opening drive that the D has gotten a stop on 3rd down and he gets a roughing call. A leader doesn't do that. Daniels got chewed out on the bench after that series.
    3. Capers needs to go. He might have a great scheme and all, but team after team does the same thing. Run the WRs deep or up the field and let the slot WR, TE or RB run across the middle. Every team does the same thing. You need to change it up.
    4. Hundley did well for his 2nd start when he was allowed to throw the ball down the field. That long ball to Adams was a dart that reminded me of ARod. The ball didn't get more that 15 feet above the ground. If he puts just a touch more air on that Adams gets more than his finger tips on the ball.
    5. Too much throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage and too many misdirection runs with a crossing WR or in motion RB. That 4th down Cobb run was a perfect example.
    6. The DET CBs didn't respect the Packer WRs. They played mostly tight and the refs let them grab and bump and hand fight. We had more success when we ran quick slants and crossing routes when the D didn't have time to grab and clutch.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It's more like an organized retreat, like the retreat to the 38th parallel following the Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River.
    That's the terrible irony. With Burnett out there, this is the best coordinated backfield in a while (Randall's brain farts aside). So they aren't getting beat deep.

But they are getting gashed underneath way too easily.

This has been going on since Kurt Warner tore them apart years ago against what we thought was a rebuilt unit.

You cannot survive that way without pass rush.

If there is an argument for the entire staff to get the boot, its that they have become WAY too Stubby. That is Belichick's advantage each game.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hundley's adjusted net yards per attempt was about 6.5. That's not HoF or even player of the week. But its borderline functional.

If they can extract a 4 quarter offense from the first drive and the 2 minute drills, he might be able to do this. Time and experience will give him some more pocket awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That's the terrible irony. With Burnett out there, this is the best coordinated backfield in a while (Randall's brain farts aside). So they aren't getting beat deep.

But they are getting gashed underneath way too easily.

This has been going on since Kurt Warner tore them apart years ago against what we thought was a rebuilt unit.

You cannot survive that way without pass rush.

If there is an argument for the entire staff to get the boot, its that they have become WAY too Stubby. That is Belichick's advantage each game.
    yeah, they check if it's man, then they run crossing routes. With no pressure they wait until crosser is open. If it's zone, they have time for receivers to find the holes and then throw. It all works because no one is in the QBs face.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

HEAR! HEAR!

The decline of Clay Matthews is awful to watch. I bet he looks even worse on review too.
    I think you all over estimated clay early on when defenses were adjusting to him. I recall you and I had a couple conversations where I told you Kampman was a better football player and Clay would never get the sacks kampman did. (yes, you can bring up Allen Babre now).
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    6. The DET CBs didn't respect the Packer WRs. They played mostly tight and the refs let them grab and bump and hand fight. We had more success when we ran quick slants and crossing routes when the D didn't have time to grab and clutch.
    Packer WRs seem to be upset that the DBs actually touch them. Instead of hand checking back and fighting through them, they seem more likely to try and avoid contact, which blows up timing and never draws penalties. Man up.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I think you all over estimated clay early on when defenses were adjusting to him. I recall you and I had a couple conversations where I told you Kampman was a better football player and Clay would never get the sacks kampman did. (yes, you can bring up Allen Babre now).
    Kampman had his limitations too, and injuries finished him. There's something wrong with Matthews though, beyond adjustments. Maybe he's just aged out or he doesn't care anymore. He looks gassed half the time and he refuses contact a lot. Maybe getting hurt all the time got to him too. I was going to go back and look at the games in review. I bet he'll look even worse.

Also been a gripe of mine. I can't say weather its called equal or not cuz our guys don't really try, but our WR get mugged quite a bit with no flag. Bumped off routes, hand on waist restricting turns.

Also been a gripe of mine. I can't say weather its called equal or not cuz our guys don't really try, but our WR get mugged quite a bit with no flag. Bumped off routes, hand on waist restricting turns.

Kampman had his limitations too, and injuries finished him. There's something wrong with Matthews though, beyond adjustments. Maybe he's just aged out or he doesn't care anymore. He looks gassed half the time and he refuses contact a lot. Maybe getting hurt all the time got to him too. I was going to go back and look at the games in review. I bet he'll look even worse.
    PEDs. I'm not even a little bit joking. Yes, he's still huge, but there is more to PEDs than size and strength.

Deep down I think everyone loses a little motivation to keep banging their head into others play after play after they get paid big bucks.

My impression from last night is that packers are a below average team everywhere and Detroit is a formidable team when Stafford is hot.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Its easier to see defense's holes even when Rodgers was playing. But the holes in offense, for me, are easier to see now.

However, the final state of the offense won't be decided until the coach and the QB have to decide what they are going to do on offense. After this game, I think it means no huddle and lots of Monty not Jones.
    Not that Green Bay has ever been accused of being a running team under McCarthy, but I was wondering if they would try and establish the run more once Hundley became the starter. Use the run to setup play action and then take your chances down the field on play action. Nope. This isn't second-guessing, just wondering out loud. I wonder if McCarthy ever thought about taking pressure off of Hundley by becoming more of a run first team when A-Rod went down. If you don't really run the ball, even with Hundley in there, aren't you limiting your offense and asking Hundley to replicate A-Rod's efforts to some extent? The approach seems a bit forced or hard-headed.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Not that Green Bay has ever been accused of being a running team under McCarthy, but I was wondering if they would try and establish the run more once Hundley became the starter. Use the run to setup play action and then take your chances down the field on play action. Nope. This isn't second-guessing, just wondering out loud. I wonder if McCarthy ever thought about taking pressure off of Hundley by becoming more of a run first team when A-Rod went down. If you don't really run the ball, even with Hundley in there, aren't you limiting your offense and asking Hundley to replicate A-Rod's efforts to some extent? The approach seems a bit forced or hard-headed.
    They initially had some running success against New Orleans. However, it becomes harder to run the ball when the opposing defense isn't worried about you throwing the ball more than 10 yards downfield.