Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Dom Capers Thread

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    This is a pretty good article summing up this defense's problems.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/b...om-capers-2017
    the gist seems the defense has no outstanding playmakers, yet they are too good to be as bad as they are. But schematically, Capers should be able to overcome the shortfall in playmakers.

OK, fine. Now tell me how. They didn't give one example of what the Packers should do differently. They just asserted, with statistics, that they suck.

What's the answer? Just one example.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    the gist seems the defense has no outstanding playmakers, yet they are too good to be as bad as they are. But schematically, Capers should be able to overcome the shortfall in playmakers.

OK, fine. Now tell me how. They didn't give one example of what the Packers should do differently. They just asserted, with statistics, that they suck.

What's the answer? Just one example.
    I'm not convinced the game has passed Capers by in terms of Xs and Os. I do wonder if the Packers defensive staff (top to bottom including Capers) is gifted enough at getting the players to play the Xs and Os they are supposed to (communication errors/breakdowns/etc). It's obviously not a practice time issue as every team has to play by the same CBA rules (except the Seahawks apparently).

EDIT: In other words, the Packers need a defensive staff (top to bottom) that is as skilled as the offensive staff at getting their players ready for Sunday.
    Last edited by Smidgeon; 12-14-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

#Packers defense is 32nd in RZ Scoring Efficiency... Allowing 100%

Coincidently, Packers finished 32nd in this last year... Allowing 95.6%

No team has allowed 100% in RZ Scoring since the 2008 Buccaneers...

— Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) December 14, 2017

#Packer DC Dom Capers regular season QB Rating allowed...

Least: 67.2 (2010)
    Most: 95.9 (2013 & 2016)

This year... 98.2 QB Rating
    — Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) December 13, 2017

Ben Fennell @BenFennell_NFL

Pass Plays of 10+yds Allowed...

1. JAX 83
    2. PIT 93

31. TEN 139
    32. GB 141

11:07 AM - Dec 6, 2017

Ben Fennell @BenFennell_NFL

#Packers Defensive Issues... Getting off the field.

Scoring Efficiency - 39.9% (31st)
    RZ Scoring Efficiency - 100% (32nd)

3rd Down Conversions - 44.4% (30th)
    3rd Down Completion % - 69.7% (32nd)
    10 Play Drives - 28 (31st)
    5 Minute Drives - 24 (32nd)

8:37 PM - Dec 11, 2017

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 14m14 minutes ago
    McCarthy: "Dom Caper is an outstanding football coach. That doesn't change."

Jan 26, 2017

Lol!!

I wouldn't trust any article that refers to the Redskins as "Washington Pro Team".

Same ol' same ol' - a bunch of know nothings try to pin some poor Packer D statistics on Capers when the obvious fact is, the talent overall on the Packers D is deficient, especially among the D backs. We just can't line up and stop teams. We need to scheme them and guess/pick one area to stop and risk that they beat our D in other areas. It seems like a lot of games, the Packers try to play it straight the first series or two; The opposition takes it right down the field; So Capers adjusts with some scheming, and things get better - for a while anyway until the offense adjusts; Then rinse and repeat.

I hate to think of how bad things would get without Capers and the scheming and adjusting.

Thank you Ted for the personnel situation.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Sorry, I happen to like Ted. Is he perfect? No. He could have done more in free agency, and he should have always had a vet qb on the roster behind Rodger. But overall, he has been very, very good - and supplied Capers with sufficient talent to craft an effective defense. The fact that the Pack has been struggling for years on D falls on Capers' shoulders, as well as his staff. When a secondary has 'communication problems' that last for YEARS (and allow receivers to run free), then the system that allows poor communication is at fault.
    Capers needs to go. The NFL has passed him by.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Sorry, I happen to like Ted. Is he perfect? No. He could have done more in free agency, and he should have always had a vet qb on the roster behind Rodger. But overall, he has been very, very good - and supplied Capers with sufficient talent to craft an effective defense. The fact that the Pack has been struggling for years on D falls on Capers' shoulders, as well as his staff. When a secondary has 'communication problems' that last for YEARS (and allow receivers to run free), then the system that allows poor communication is at fault.
    Capers needs to go. The NFL has passed him by.
    What you’re saying is true for the most part. Thompson has really drafted pretty well, but what we lack is defensive playmakers. This is likely the result of our success. Drafting late in the first round decreases the chances of getting a difference maker with our pick.

We have solid starters at many positions on defense if we have our full compliment of players. House, King, and Randall are solid starters at CB. Burnett and Dix are solid safeties. Martinez, Matthews, and Perry are good LBs. Daniels and Clark are very good DL.

Our problem is that we seem to never have our full compliment of players and we don’t have anyone that the opposing offense has to worry about and plan for. No Von Miller’s or JJ Watts. No Everson Griffin or Chandler Jones. No Aquib Talib or Patrick Peterson.

A player like that is not acquired through free agency, they’re too valuable to let go in free agency. They have to be drafted or acquired out of college and their development takes skill and luck. The great majority of these difference makers are taken early in the first round. The last two that the Packers had were Matthews and Shields. Without them, I’m not sure Capers is the right coach with the right approach to solidify this defense.

No pass rush. That explains it all.

Well, plus some shoddy tackling.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Perhaps Dom is still great with the x's and O's. Maybe he's just not that good at the people part of the job.

Is Fackrell actually showing any promise? Is he rounding into form as a JAG now, moving himself up from "bust" status, or is he destined to be even better, perhaps "slightly above average"?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Is Fackrell actually showing any promise? Is he rounding into form as a JAG now, moving himself up from "bust" status, or is he destined to be even better, perhaps "slightly above average"?
    I predict both he and Randall will play in the Pro Bowl within 5 years.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

"The coaches are high on him. He is ready to break out any time now. Lot of potential there."

reality: Ceiling = Shea McClellin
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I predict both he and Randall will play in the Pro Bowl within 5 years.
    Fackrell is four years away from retirement

Seems like we've had way more high draft picks going for defense lately. The #1s Ted has gotten us haven't played like #1s. The #2s and #3s haven't looked like 2s and 3s either for the post part. I still have hopes Randall will amount to something, but you expect more of a #1 than we have seen. Fackrell was what? a #3? He should be a helluva lot farther along, especially where he is older and supposedly more mature than other second year players. Martinez is about what you'd expect from a #3 or 4; Ryan is not even close. Kenny Clark if he continues to improve, just might be good enough to make up for Datone.

We just don't get as much quality from our draft picks as most teams. I suppose you can give the head coach and coordinators some blame, but the buck stops with the GM.

And of course, almost zilch in quality free agents
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Seems like we've had way more high draft picks going for defense lately. The #1s Ted has gotten us haven't played like #1s. The #2s and #3s haven't looked like 2s and 3s either for the post part. I still have hopes Randall will amount to something, but you expect more of a #1 than we have seen. Fackrell was what? a #3? He should be a helluva lot farther along, especially where he is older and supposedly more mature than other second year players. Martinez is about what you'd expect from a #3 or 4; Ryan is not even close. Kenny Clark if he continues to improve, just might be good enough to make up for Datone.

We just don't get as much quality from our draft picks as most teams. I suppose you can give the head coach and coordinators some blame, but the buck stops with the GM.

And of course, almost zilch in quality free agents
    Don't forget that because of our draft position, our #1 picks are de facto #2 picks, etc. etc. We get the bottom of the barrel of each round, unless we trade up.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    We just don't get as much quality from our draft picks as most teams.
    I'd like to see your analysis. Give a few examples.

He is playing more solid, doesn't get pushed around as much and is always around the ball.

But he is not yet using those freak athletic traits to get to the passer. If he did, it would be an immediate transformation for the defense because the move the QB off his spot guy is what they are missing.

Matthews, Daniels, Clark and Brooks/Perry are all in good spots in the pocket but they aren't getting disengaged fast enough. But they would be in prime position to clean up. Kinda the Datone Jones role of second guy gets the sack.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.