Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Dom Capers Thread

Official Fire Dom Capers Thread

Can't believe nobody's started one.

Anybody else get the feeling opposing offenses know exactly what's coming?

As Kevin Greene said to Clay Matthews in the Super Bowl: It is time. IT IS TIME!

I've been on the Fire Capers bandwagon since last year. There is talent on this defense. I don't think it's being coached up.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

As much as I believe IT IS TIME I doubt anyone is going to get canned until after the season is over.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Clean house? MM is proving he is nothing without Rodgers, which is just another way of saying he is nothing. It appears Rodgers is so good, he has covered up a lot of the poor coaching and bad play. We have lost 3 games that Rodgers likely leads us to victory. The offense coming off a bye was incredibly atrocious. MM did not have this team prepared in any way to play.

There are three problems

1. People know what is coming. That is on Capers.

2. No pass rush. That is on Ted. Blitz schemes with 5-6 rushers hurt eventually and they aren't even getting home.

3. Talent development. Either there isn't talent or its not being forged to be better. Hard to say with this year's rookies, but the only upperclassmen to make jumps on this defense are Clark and Martinez plus Daniels some time ago. I think this is on the coaches but also falls to the personnel department and I don't know in what percentage. Why Fackrell is on the team and not Peppers doesn't make sense nine games in.

I think coaches and GMs should improve with time, not get stale. They also shouldn't be fired after 3 or 4 years for flaws that should be fixable. The offense has been up and down but mostly dominates game in the last five years. The best of the defenses have been just better than adequate.

If you can make a definitive case for what Fackrell and not Peppers, then I can tell you the scope of the problem. However, Peppers wasn't the difference maker last year.

For the first time in a long time, I think its time for Dom to go.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

It's time. I'm on the train.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Welcome aboard. Been calling for this for 3 years. Wist has been here the longest though.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I supported Dom for many years, but I jumped off the bandwagon last year.

It's time to move in another direction. MM is not doing much better, albeit under much tougher conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If you can make a definitive case for what Fackrell and not Peppers, then I can tell you the scope of the problem. However, Peppers wasn't the difference maker last year.
    I think you partially answered your own question right there: last year Peppers looked like a player well into his decline whereas Fackrell, at least to somebody's eyes, still had an upside. Maybe he does and it just hasn't been tapped yet. Or maybe TT has gotten careless in his evaluation of talent, like the old Don driving with Fredo and getting out of the car to visit the fruit stand. At the time the decision to let Peppers go--assuming that it was really a Packer decision--didn't look so bad, and it certainly fit with TT's development MO. But maybe it wasn't really the Packers' decision, maybe Peppers decided he wanted to play out his final season back home and he is now going out in style.

Really if you think about it objectively and not as a homer. It's past time for Capers and TT, and time to put stubby on notice.

Perhaps Peppers is having a decent year because he is in a better coached system.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    In the NFL the longer you're around the more film history you generate for offenses to pick you apart. Dom was an innovator but injuries and youth (and maybe his own loss of energy/interest) limits what he can do that's new. I've always suspected that Dom's defenses are too complicated. Too many moving parts. If you're guys are vets and healthy, no problem. But if not, you've got trouble. Maybe a youthful innovator like Dave Aranda is what we need.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Perhaps Peppers is having a decent year because he is in a better coached system.
    He has three pass rushing threats next to him, that's the main thing.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Clean house? MM is proving he is nothing without Rodgers, which is just another way of saying he is nothing. It appears Rodgers is so good, he has covered up a lot of the poor coaching and bad play. We have lost 3 games that Rodgers likely leads us to victory. The offense coming off a bye was incredibly atrocious. MM did not have this team prepared in any way to play.
    I'm on the fire Capers bandwagon now; other teams seem to know exactly what's coming, and despite some talent on defense (Clark, Martinez, Josh Jones, maybe King, maybe one or two others), that defense just cannot get off the field. The pass rush is non-existent. Doesn't matter if the Packers tackle for a loss on first down and on second down; on third down the opposing QB will have all day and all night to throw, unless Capers rushes five or six, in which case the opposing team seems to know it's coming, and so screen plays go for fifteen or twenty yards. Or on third down Mike Daniels will eff it up with a dumb, dumb penalty.

And this is on MM, too. That was NOT a team that was ready to play. What's with the idiotic play-calling? For at least half the game, MM had his preferred offensive line, yet the vast majority of pass plays were those dumb -behind-the-line-of-scrimmage throws that, after the first three times, did not work at all.

That team stunk up the joint. Bad. It's a long season, and I know things change, but that did not look good. Period. They had two weeks to get ready, get their heads on straight - but instead, they had their heads firmly planted up their asses.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He has three pass rushing threats next to him, that's the main thing.
    Better team also helps. It's still on Capers and TT.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I think you partially answered your own question right there: last year Peppers looked like a player well into his decline whereas Fackrell, at least to somebody's eyes, still had an upside. Maybe he does and it just hasn't been tapped yet. Or maybe TT has gotten careless in his evaluation of talent, like the old Don driving with Fredo and getting out of the car to visit the fruit stand. At the time the decision to let Peppers go--assuming that it was really a Packer decision--didn't look so bad, and it certainly fit with TT's development MO. But maybe it wasn't really the Packers' decision, maybe Peppers decided he wanted to play out his final season back home and he is now going out in style.
    If that is the case, then its a thin hope. You have Fackrell and Biegel. One gets hurt then Brooks is signed. Just seems undermanned unless you are sure about Fackrell.

Pass rush is about the QB as much as beating your man. If the QB has to move, then EVERYONE's pass rush gets better and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Better team also helps. It's still on Capers and TT.
    There is no doubt the lack of pass rush hurts and that is mostly on Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    ... on third down the opposing QB will have all day and all night to throw, unless Capers rushes five or six, in which case the opposing team seems to know it's coming, and so screen plays go for fifteen or twenty yards.
    Not only does the opposition seem to know what's coming, but from where as well. When Dom sent all the dogs up the middle, Detroit ran a screen to the outside and game over.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Yes. And on Ted's shoulders lies the very big mistake of wasting a third round pick on Fackrell. That guy is as effective as a sack of potatoes thrown onto the field. Frankly, Rollins, too, was a terrible pick. And Datone Jones.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Yes. And on Ted's shoulders lies the very big mistake of wasting a third round pick on Fackrell. That guy is as effective as a sack of potatoes thrown onto the field. Frankly, Rollins, too, was a terrible pick. And Datone Jones.
    I actually liked the Fackrell selection. I guess I was persuaded by the glowing scouting reports. I'm hoping he'll make strides next year after he puts some weight room time in.