Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Dom Capers Thread

Capers ain't going anywhere... and we'll be right back here next year having these same conversations.
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Capers ain't going anywhere... and we'll be right back here next year having these same conversations.
    nobody's forcing you to come back
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    nobody's forcing you to come back
    There has to be a few realists around to keep you kool-aid addicts in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    It's sort of ridiculous to talk about what is realistic on a fan forum. Being a fan implies some level of suspension of realism, whether you choose to interpret your team's actions pessimistically or optimistically. I personally choose to enjoy the long-term success of many wins over the last 20 years, though I'm always disappointed for a few hours when the Packers bow out for the year without a title.

I generally feel like pessimistic fanship is generally providing the fanalyst a fallback position, to make the ultimate loss more palatable: they told you so! Every organization on Earth that consists of more than one person has warts that can be focused on, so there is always a flaw to be picked out and amplified into absurdity as the ultimate reason that a season (or project) has failed.

For the most part, I think most on this site deal with it "realistically", as much as that is possible. I don't see anyone saying there shouldn't be changes made. Some just are interested in discussing more of the angles that make the changes that need to be made more complicated than binary hire/fire players or personnel decisions.

And Capers needs to go . I'm ready for changes on the defense.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

The beat writers seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that he gone. Good riddance! Who is the best young coordinator in the NFL is the question? I want simple schema that enables fast play and not-so-smart guys able to contribute early.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    The beat writers seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that he gone. Good riddance! Who is the best young coordinator in the NFL is the question? I want simple schema that enables fast play and not-so-smart guys able to contribute early.
    The beat writers these days mostly just ride the wave of click-based fan sentiment. Funny enough, the current approach of measuring reaction based on click data is "a simple schema that enables fast play and not-so-smart guys able to contribute early" in the journalistic realm.

“This” turned out to be Newton throwing to halfback Christian McCaffrey running uncovered over the middle for an easy touchdown while the Packers bungled a coverage they had worked on during the week.
    I have Tweeted at him, but I cannot find the reference to any coverage of what the coverage that they worked on during the week was supposed to look like versus McCaffrey.

Anyone else see it?

As ishmael says elsewhere, Spoon has climbed aboard the Capers gotta go bandwagon: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ers/977755001/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Never mind, it was in the article:

A perfect example of the lack of chemistry was McCaffrey’s 7-yard touchdown catch. Inside linebacker Blake Martinez and safety Josh Jones had tight end Greg Olsen and McCaffrey, who ran complementary routes. Both Martinez and Jones went with Olsen and McCaffrey was left wide open.

“We practice it through the week,” inside linebackers coach Scott McCurley lamented with pain in his voice. “It was a top concept in what we do and we didn’t get it executed between he and Josh in there.
    This kind of thing is why I suspect its the assistant coaches as much as Capers. But are their skills lacking or does Capers assume they know more than they can teach? Is the scheme so complex that a rookie and 2nd year player cannot remember it even if well taught during the week?

Those are the answers you need.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jones has 663 snaps under his belt this season, so inexperience isn’t much of an excuse. He wound up chasing an underneath route that one of his teammates had covered in simple man-to-man coverage.

“That kind of exemplifies the consistency which we haven’t been able to play,” Capers said. “We haven’t played as consistent as we’d like to play.”
    Is it Jones is just a rookie playing two positions and mastering neither (strong safety and Nitro).

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    says the guy who evacuates his bowels every week in the gameday thread.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    "a simple schema that enables fast play and not-so-smart guys able to contribute early"
    like most gameday posts

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Those are the answers you need.
    - said pbmax, with pain in his voice.

A lot has been made of these M3 comments this week:

We have to be honest about the patterns of negativity and positivity. What comes from that, how do you learn from that, how do you improve? To win championships, you have to go through adverse moments. We’ve had plenty this year. Not hitting our goal, not playing to the standard of the Green Bay Packers is definitely an adverse situation we need to learn from.
    Some have taken it to mean Capers needs to go. Usually when I hear about "patterns of negativity" in an organizational unit, it has to do with infighting or other internal dissension and would imply to me that coaches and/or players are grumbling or arguing. That could mean Capers goes, but it could also mean restructuring at other levels of the coaching staff.

A lot has been made of these M3 comments this week:

Some have taken it to mean Capers needs to go. Usually when I hear about "patterns of negativity" in an organizational unit, it has to do with infighting or other internal dissension and would imply to me that coaches and/or players are grumbling or arguing. That could mean Capers goes, but it could also mean restructuring at other levels of the coaching staff.
    Yeah, I agree its not a lock that this is Capers. Could easily be the assistant coaches are coaching their individual islands with little coordination (Silverstein's piece last night was all about this). But this is just coded enough that it could mean literally anything.

If I had to peg assistant coaches not getting along from game day evidence, it would be Perry and Whitt. But who can distinguish between mistakes and failure to grasp how the units work together?

Moss could be in there too.

Blog Entries
    it would be horrible if we kept Capers an let go of other GOATS
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yeah, I agree its not a lock that this is Capers. Could easily be the assistant coaches are coaching their individual islands with little coordination (Silverstein's piece last night was all about this). But this is just coded enough that it could mean literally anything.
    There were two other tidbits of information out there this last week that were potentially interesting side channel information.

1 was a comment that Micah Hyde sent a thank you note to Perry after his pro bowl selection. Can't find the source atm.

The other was a remark from Casey Hayward on twitter:
    Casey Hayward
    ‏Verified account @show_case29
    Dec 19

Super happy for my brother @micah_hyde I'm proud of you bro. I guess we will be teammates once again lol. I'm glad you get to show your true skills with the Bills. love you bro.
    I'm not sure that is so much a slight at the Packers coaching staff as that Hyde was the 3rd safety behind Burnett and HHCD.

I have a new theory, freshly retrieved from my posterior: what if Winston Moss is the problem? I don't mean that he is raising hell, I mean that maybe other coaches are resentful of his position

He's been the assistant HC for a number of years now but he seems to have the lowest developmental success rate. Martinez now seems to be coming along in the run game but is still a problem in the pass game. They got rid of Greene, who could be given some credit (along with a regimen of PED use) for early CM3 years and gave the OLB group to Moss. I would argue that the LB group has been the weakest link in the chain for a number of years.

Perry helped develop Burnett, HHCD, and perhaps Hyde into Pro Bowl/All Pro players.

Whitt developed Shields, Williams, Hayward House, Randall, and King .

Trgo has BJ Raji, Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, maybe Dean Lowry (who was a developmental prospect at DE) under his belt.

Last, he was picked by M3 and not by Capers. The other coaches were Capers guys.

What if the negativity is that the other coaches are pissed about Moss's role given his relative underperformance? Maybe what shows up in the film room week after week is that his LBs are not getting pressure and messing up their assignments.

Just a thought...

^ The coach on the other side of the ball who is friends with the HC is always a weird position to be in. Could be a source of friction whether there is something happening or not.

Trgo has BJ Raji, Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, maybe Dean Lowry (who was a developmental prospect at DE) under his belt.
    Speaking of Trgo, I wonder why he never got another chance as DC. With Carolina from 2003-2008 his defenses finished 10th, 15th, 5th, 8th, 15th, and 12th in points allowed (always in the top half) and in the top 9 in sacks in four of the six years.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson