Thread: Catching up with offseason acquisitions

Catching up with offseason acquisitions

TT and the Packers were pretty much universally praised for their offseason additions. The moves were regarded as the kind of short-term, veteran players that were needed to get the team over the hump and back to the Super Bowl. Halfway through the season, time to catch up with where they stand now.

Martellus Bennett - he was expected to replace Cook's receiving ability while at the same time bringing blocking that hadn't been seen from our TE's in a long time. Wasn't expected to be as dynamic as Cook but projected as a big red zone threat. Many analysts projected him as one of the most important acquisitions BY ANY TEAM this offseason. Has instead been a complete bust. Blocking has been good at times, but has shown next to no ability to stretch the field and apparently had offseason surgery to replace his hands with bricks. May or may not have quit on the team as well. Good riddance MISS

Jahri Evans - always tough to grade the interior OL unless you're really focusing on it. My impression is that he has been pretty solid overall. His durability alone, among all the chaos that has been the OL, is more than enough for me. HIT

Davon House - was expected to come in and be the closest thing to a #1 corner the Packers have. Has missed 3 games this season and has 1 INT on the year. I don't think he's been awful but feel like he's underwhelmed a little bit. EH

Quenton Dial / RJF - grouping these 2 together. RJF had 2 separate appearances and grabbed a cup of coffee but didn't see the field much. INCOMPLETE Dial has been pretty solid as a run stopper but is currently dealing with a chest injury. HIT

Lance Kendricks - hasn't really gotten a ton of playing time, which should change going forward. Does have a couple of long catches on the year though, and I think I remember him drawing a PI downfield as well. INCOMPLETE

Ahmad Brooks - I had high hopes for this guy. Figured he would be the spot pass rusher we needed and make for a pretty good rotation late in the year with Perry/CM3/Biegel. Showed some ability early but has missed the past 3 games with injury. INCOMPLETE

Hard not to notice how many of these guys have missed time with injury. It's most likely just a sign of how this year has gone in general, but the thought did cross my mind as to what the Packers strength and conditioning staff has done wrong compared to other teams. Brooks has been pretty durable in his career - missed 3 games in 2013 and 2 games in 2014 but has played pretty much other game other than that. House played all 16 games in Jacksonville each of the past 2 years. Dial has been pretty durable in his career, missing 1-2 games/season in each of the past 3 years. We'll see how this chest injury effects him going forward.

I also wonder if this experience will effect TT's activity/inactivity in FA next year.
    Go PACK

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I think the only bad signing was Cop Hater and Liars brother.

Would love to see our new GM sign a shutdown corner and a deep threat WR this offseason.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

New GM? Did I miss something (I hope I hope I hope)?

I like Richard Rodgers way better than Kendrick. I wouldn't mind seeing us sign Jimmy Graham next off season, and yeah, a shut down Corner.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Hard not to notice how many of these guys have missed time with injury.
    The longer players are in league the more they get injured. Age, accumulation of injuries.
    Ahmad Brooks was probably destined to have only a minor impact.

TT may be right in his light use of free agency - young man's game.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    the big miss in retrospect was no resigning Cook. But who knows - maybe Cook would right now be contemplating retirement as well.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I don't know with the mess the Green Bay Packers are right now and with Aaron Rodgers 'nothing more than a hope' and 'will he be what he was'.

Why any serious FA and Super Bowl win
    would seriously entertain thoughts of signing with the Green Bay Packers.

The window and seeing Packers with Aaron Rodgers win another Super Bowl has in all liklihood closed.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Just Sitting Here Watching the Wheels Fall Off The Bus...I would expect more knee jerk...crazy and unexplainable moves by the Packers in the near future if the shitshow continues in Titletown.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The longer players are in league the more they get injured. Age, accumulation of injuries.
    Ahmad Brooks was probably destined to have only a minor impact.

TT may be right in his light use of free agency - young man's game.
    I agree, but at the risk of being Patlerized, how much of a difference is there between being 33 this year and 32 last year? Brooks played 920 defensive snaps last year (looks to be about 85-90% of their snaps) and another 85 ST snaps. This year he has played 98 D snaps and 9 ST snaps.

I know injuries can't be controlled and are random blah blah blah, just venting over this year.
    Go PACK

so far...

bennett-miss. signed for impact in a panic move over Cook's agent's demands.
    evans-hit. temporarily plugged a hole with a cheaper player. old.
    house-meh. plugged a hole with a cheap player.
    dial-inc. signed for depth, cheap.
    rjf-miss (cut twice). signed for depth, cheap.
    kendricks-meh. signed for depth, cheap.
    brooks-inc. signed for depth and impact, cheap.

a lot of cheap, one year, deals here plugging holes he created in the name of being cheap. reactive, not proactive. sitting in the top half of the league in cap space and with one of the cheapest pay-rolls on the defensive side of the ball...and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The longer players are in league the more they get injured. Age, accumulation of injuries....young man's game.
    Oh dear. That does not bode well for Rollins and Randall.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    the big miss in retrospect was no resigning Cook. But who knows - maybe Cook would right now be contemplating retirement as well.
    No he would be on IR with an underreported ankle or ankylosing spondylitis. Get it, anky-LOSING?

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    how much of a difference is there between being 33 this year and 32 last year?
    365 days

What do I win

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    so far...

bennett-miss. signed for impact in a panic move over Cook's agent's demands.
    evans-hit. temporarily plugged a hole with a cheaper player. old.
    house-meh. plugged a hole with a cheap player.
    dial-inc. signed for depth, cheap.
    rjf-miss (cut twice). signed for depth, cheap.
    kendricks-meh. signed for depth, cheap.
    brooks-inc. signed for depth and impact, cheap.

a lot of cheap, one year, deals here plugging holes he created in the name of being cheap. reactive, not proactive. sitting in the top half of the league in cap space and with one of the cheapest pay-rolls on the defensive side of the ball...and it shows.
    Panic move? Cook's agent over played his hand and EVERYBODY thought Bennett was an upgrade over Cook at the time.

When healthy House has been fine.

I'm hoping Brooks makes an impact now that he is going to play on Sunday.

IMO Ted's biggest gaff this offseason was passing on TJ Watt in this past draft.

Bennett was not a panic move. They stiffed Cook's agent because he went out and shopped the Packers offer.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Also forget tanking.

Time to sign every reprobate under the sun, gear up for a Super Bowl run and destroy Bennett's chances at collecting another Super Bowl with New England.

#SlapShot

This post previously contained an alarming amount of profanity.

#PackerPeopleCanWaitForNextYear
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'd be fine with the Hanson Brothers as long as they bring the slot racing set.

Chuck Cecil = Hanson brother

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Panic move? Cook's agent over played his hand and EVERYBODY thought Bennett was an upgrade over Cook at the time.

When healthy House has been fine.

I'm hoping Brooks makes an impact now that he is going to play on Sunday.

IMO Ted's biggest gaff this offseason was passing on TJ Watt in this past draft.
    imo bennett WAS a panic move. cook was dragging his feet and tt HAD to do something before someone else took bennett and he'd be without both.

house...you said he's been fine. i agree. that's the meh from me. he's been...ok.

brooks...i'm hoping too but the sample size is too small. he's also free at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    imo bennett WAS a panic move. cook was dragging his feet and tt HAD to do something before someone else took bennett and he'd be without both.
    Every FA move meets the criteria you mention. All FA players might sign somewhere else. Its a meaningless label.

He signed a more complete player for more money, it was a bold move. In retrospect, it didn't work out because Bennett has now flaked his way off the roster. But that doesn't make it a panic move.