Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bennett Released For Failure to Disclose Medical Condition

Bennett Released For Failure to Disclose Medical Condition

Field Yates @FieldYates 9m9 minutes ago
    Source: the Packers have cut veteran TE Martellus Bennett. His time in Green Bay is over.

Field Yates‏ @FieldYates
    The Packers cut Bennett with the failure to disclose a medical condition designation. We'll see what's next for the veteran TE.

Sorry gary, thought this deserved its own thread.
    Last edited by pbmax; 11-08-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 35s36 seconds ago
    The #Packers paid TE Martellus Bennett $8M of his 3-year, $21M contract. The only tangible benefit to cutting him with the failure to disclose is if they argue his entire contract is void & go after his money. This isn’t over just yet.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    How do you win, but really lose? Having the right to go after the money already paid in a players contract, but possibly looking bad as an organization to any potential free agents down the road, who don't agree with the team's approach, even if they are within their right to do so. They might just do well to let him have this year's money and since he was going to call it quits anyway, just leave it at that and move on down the road.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hmmm, Actually moderately suprised by the turn of events. But then again, not really.

He came to GB to win another title. Rodgers breaks his collar bone, shortly there after Bennett tweets he will probably retire after 2017.

He basically checked out after he knew the chance at winning was over. Don't really need a guy like that on the team.

Note to the Packers brass (or future Packers brass): If Hoody doesn't want a guy, don't bother going after him.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

We'll have to recalibrate the Packer playoff odds now.

thats a pretty shitty way to do business IMO

don't we hear all the time that players are always injured or beat up?

the packers just told the rest of the players in the NFL that they better disclose every little bump or bruise they've ever gotten, or else the packers could use it to get out of the deal at some point

in the packer organization, players should never try and play though pain or suck it up

Do we really know what happened? Is it possible that after announcing he wanted to retire after the season, he decided he had an injury and couldn’t play last week. When they checked with him this week, he cited the same injury. When asked when it occurred, he said it was an existing injury.

I remember a certain CB that did much the same thing for a couple of weeks when we didn’t renegotiate his contract. That player was traded to the Saints.

Before we say that it’s a crappy way to do business, let’s find out if Bennett has basically decided to retire early.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Do we really know what happened? Is it possible that after announcing he wanted to retire after the season, he decided he had an injury and couldn’t play last week. When they checked with him this week, he cited the same injury. When asked when it occurred, he said it was an existing injury.

I remember a certain CB that did much the same thing for a couple of weeks when we didn’t renegotiate his contract. That player was traded to the Saints.

Before we say that it’s a crappy way to do business, let’s find out if Bennett has basically decided to retire early.
    that very well could be

although he has come out now and says he didn't fail to disclose anything

Where is Gumshoe McGinn when we need him?

We'll know the extent of it if he signs with another team.

Or if the Packer try to recoup some of the money he collected already. Doesn't seem to be a reason to cite failure to disclose other than that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Silverstein said on the McCarren show that Bennett wasn't even at the game last night. Very strange and perhaps part of the reason he's now unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Silverstein said on the McCarren show that Bennett wasn't even at the game last night.
    Not that strange, no doubt his ass was already cut and he was inactive.

I wonder if Bennett's retirement musing played into this. I can't recall a player talking about retirement midseason. Maybe it has happened. Maybe the coaches thought he had already checked out mentally from pro football, and they feel they are entitled to a refund.

Go after his money and use it next off-season to sign a te who can actually catch the ball
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Not that strange, no doubt his ass was already cut and he was inactive.

I wonder if Bennett's retirement musing played into this. I can't recall a player talking about retirement midseason. Maybe it has happened. Maybe the coaches thought he had already checked out mentally from pro football, and they feel they are entitled to a refund.
    Maybe that was the preexisting condition "Failure to give a shit once star QB goes down."

Given where Bennett comes from I suspect he really does have a preexisting injury and that the Patriots were aware of it too. He had a shoulder injury last year too, didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Maybe that was the preexisting condition "Failure to give a shit once star QB goes down."
    Bingo.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...jury-contract/

Martellus Bennett's release designation raises questions about injury, contract

" ...there appears leeway to interpret “situation” to be emotional as well as physical.

Perhaps the Packers will argue that Bennett wasn’t upfront on a number of things during his signing.

It would seem logical that they’d use this information to argue for some sort of reimbursement from Bennett, who has a pro-rated signing bonus of $2.1 million ($6.3 million total signing bonus) during each of the next two seasons.

Also, Bennett refused to talk to the media after his announcement, so there aren’t any on-the-record statements about his physical condition other than the injury announcement from the Packers.

Both parties have been mum on the issue; it’s safe to expect lawyers to be involved. ..."
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I think he was pretty much a one-year guy, by his own admission, and we were not going to compete this season. I really do think it has a lot more to do with Bennett just losing faith in the ability of the team to fight for a championship and the shoulder injury is just being used as an excuse.

Silverstein agrees with Smuggler:

Early Wednesday afternoon, McCarthy said in his news conference that Bennett had met with the doctors Tuesday and “there’s a number of opinions that he’s working through.” Later in the day, he was cut.

The only thing that could have caused the Packers to do that was if Bennett decided he wanted to have season-ending surgery. Given he had not been on the injury report all season, the Packers probably saw it as a ploy to either get cut so he could play for a contender or collect pay while on injured reserve.

From the perspective of those left in the locker room to salvage something out of this season, it may appear that Bennett is bailing out on the team. Most of the players asked about Bennett's possible retirement after this season didn't know what to make of it.

The Packers undoubtedly were worried about that as well as setting precedent that a player could announce his retirement one week and then report he needs surgery the next, conveniently allowing him to collect his money while on injured reserve.