Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Bennett Released For Failure to Disclose Medical Condition

Teams want roster certainty but also roster control. Especially about large financial risks.

Bennett played a game that allowed him to squirt free. The weird thing is that he was a one year cost, or so I would have thought. but Bennett claimed the Packers were panicking about him counting against their roster/cap next year. Do IR players have some different impact if they are on IR for the end of the season compared to normal veterans? Does it limit making roster moves with them in the offseason?

Because the only reason I see for him contending this, and the Packers to actually be worried about it, would be if season ending IR made it a financial liability for next years cap and roster.

I prefer that he is not on the team anymore. And I actually don't hope that Ted refused to sign a FA here and there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bennett has a torn labrum, I don't think there is any doubt about that. His side said they have tests to prove it and the Packers would have known this if they reviewed his medical file. I suspect they did know because they seem competent and thorough, especially around FAs. Though the torn ACL for the new Browns WR a while back means they can make mistakes. McCarthy said they were talking about surgery dates. Unless you think Mike was taking time to bluff Marty, the coach thinks he has an injury and that means the Doc does too.

Can he play through it? Apparently so.
    iow he oversold the severity of it. Same difference. A 'torn labrum' can be all over the map. You make it seem as though this was all about navigating through an injury/surgery/IR decision. I don't think so. He used it as leverage to get out of town and on the Patriots.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    iow he oversold the severity of it. Same difference. A 'torn labrum' can be all over the map. You make it seem as though this was all about navigating through an injury/surgery/IR decision. I don't think so. He used it as leverage to get out of town and on the Patriots.
    Yeah, I don't we are disagreeing here. He used it to either get a vacation (IR) or a hall pass (waiver).

But he is within his rights to make the call is my only point. And his history, where teams are happy not to pay him the going rate, seems to indicate this is not the only time he has been out for himself first. Like I said, Romo spoke volumes by having virtually nothing nice to say about a former teammate. No funny anecdote or boring, uplifting story. I took his silence for about as much of a condemnation you would get from an ex player about a current player not under indictment.

And given his history, I think this part of his game was known. Assuming Belichick has not outsmarted himself (he has before) its also apparently something you can work around short term. Just not without a vet QB.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Yeah, I don't we are disagreeing here. He used it to either get a vacation (IR) or a hall pass (waiver).

But he is within his rights to make the call is my only point. And his history, where teams are happy not to pay him the going rate, seems to indicate this is not the only time he has been out for himself first. Like I said, Romo spoke volumes by having virtually nothing nice to say about a former teammate. No funny anecdote or boring, uplifting story. I took his silence for about as much of a condemnation you would get from an ex player about a current player not under indictment.

And given his history, I think this part of his game was known. Assuming Belichick has not outsmarted himself (he has before) its also apparently something you can work around short term. Just not without a vet QB.
    But this is really setting a bad precedence. What is going to stop another player from using this tactic to get out of town if the team he signed with isn't winning and he wants to move on to another team that is? I hope BB didn't tamper here. If Ted and Murphy find out he did you can be sure the league will come down on BB and Kraft like a ton of bricks.

So in essence, MB had every right to be a complete douche and took full advantage of his doucheability.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    So in essence, MB had every right to be a complete douche and took full advantage of his doucheability.
    Oh absolutely. You cannot use this leverage without being a little dishonest or at the very least, not forthcoming.

But its completely rational, it seems to me. I just could not sell out a team like that and join another after choosing surgery.

Very curious if the Packers suspect tampering or just thought Bennett was playing a game with the injury to land on IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    But this is really setting a bad precedence. What is going to stop another player from using this tactic to get out of town if the team he signed with isn't winning and he wants to move on to another team that is? I hope BB didn't tamper here. If Ted and Murphy find out he did you can be sure the league will come down on BB and Kraft like a ton of bricks.
    If they tampered, yes. But proving that is very hard. You need to be very dumb or have a Packer cellphone to have evidence. Or be judged by Roger Goodell, the man who doesn't believe in physics.

As for precedent, its hard to say. Patriots went after a player for failure to disclose just a couple of years ago. It happens and its one reason the League doesn't want guaranteed contracts. In most cases, it never gets to this because the player either lands on IR if they are good or get waived and hangs around the bottom of rosters for a while.

Bennett's case is a bit unique in that he was in demand and somehow convinced the Packers that he was gaming them so as not to play but get paid. It might be the Packers did not want that example on the roster, but I am also intrigued about the roster/cap implications of him being in IR.

The alternative would be a special kind of conditional IR where you have to have surgery to qualify. Or keep him on the roster until surgery is over and then IR him. But in both cases the player has the leverage to delay surgery.

TL;DR

Once our Season was over, Bennett wanted to sit and colect a paycheck. To which GB responded: "That's fine... If you're in post-op rehab." Bennett didn't want to play but he also didn't want the surgery. So they cut bait. He's an asshole, so if they recoup some of that bonus money, good for them.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201711...&pbp=gc-pbp-cd

Miami at New England Week 12:

No sign of TE Martellus Bennett and Receiving in the Final Analysis of this Game; a 37-15 Final for The Pat's

Looking ... and OK here it is:

Martellus Bennett OUT for Week 12 .... " ...Martellus Bennett is out for New England's Week 12 matchup with the Miami Dolphins due to shoulder and hamstring injuries, according to multiple reports. (Mike Girardi on Twitter) ..."
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

He's going on IR.

Jim McBride @globejimmcbride
    BREAKING: League source confirms #Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett will go on injured reserve. Played two games after being claimed on waivers from Packers.

Bill Barnwell @billbarnwell
    If salary cap info is right, Patriots ended up paying $476,471 for 24 snaps from Martellus Bennett in 2017. Just under $20,000 per play.
    Last edited by pbmax; 11-27-2017 at 04:56 PM.

LOL @ your signature Max.
    C.H.U.D.

http://patriotswire.usatoday.com/201...ined-patriots/

NFL will not investigate how Martellus Bennett left Packers, joined Patriots

The New England Patriots will not be embroiled in another NFL investigation.

The league has no interest in looking into how Martellus Bennett left the Green Bay Packers and landed with Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and New England.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

of course they wont, its the patriots

Kraft has photos of Goodell in a compromising position with Rex Ryan's wife's feet.

i don't care about an investigation on how but i do want them to get some money back.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Bennett the turd will forever be remembered by Packers fans as the guy who dropped the pass on the play Rodgers broke his collar bone. What a butterfinger.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Kraft has photos of Goodell in a compromising position with Rex Ryan's wife's feet.
    They are both Stonecutters.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Bennett the turd will forever be remembered by Packers fans as the guy who dropped the pass on the play Rodgers broke his collar bone. What a butterfinger.
    Unlike Julius Peppers and Charles Woodson, who completely turned my shallow and loosely held opinion on them around by being pretty stand up and forthright guys on the Packers, Bennett was everything I remember hearing about from his time on the Cowboys.

Kinda goofy, not really focused, not the most reliable. Poor hands, good blocker.

Remember earlier in the season when Romo let loose a black hole of silence when Nantz set him up to talk at length about his former teammate?

Best moment of silence on a Packer broadcast ever.

Remember earlier in the season when Romo let loose a black hole of silence when Nantz set him up to talk at length about his former teammate?

Best moment of silence on a Packer broadcast ever.
    lol...dang it. i missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    lol...dang it. i missed that.
    He said the most generic sentence as though it might be an introduction into a funny or insightful Bennett story. And then nothing ....