Thread: Why don't backup QBs get game reps???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why don't backup QBs get game reps???

Serious question, why don't NFL teams give backup quarterbacks real regular season game reps?

The situation the Packers, and other teams (Cardinals, Bucs) would not be so bad if the backup QB was given some game reps. Why is the NFL of the mentality that the starting QB has to be in there for every snap? Is there another position in any other sport that is similar? They won't even put in the backup to take the knee or hand off in obvious running out the clock situation at the end of the game...if he can't be trusted to do that you really should be looking elsewhere!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

good question

Sam Monson PFF

Gruden once asked Tom Moore why Peyton's backups didn't get more reps 'Fellas, if 18 goes down we're fucked, and we don't practice fucked.'
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Sam Monson PFF

Gruden once asked Tom Moore why Peyton's backups didn't get more reps 'Fellas, if 18 goes down we're fucked, and we don't practice fucked.'
    maybe if they did, they wouldn't be fucked

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    maybe if they did, they wouldn't be fucked
    Exactly.

I watch a fair amount of HS ball - coaches know the players are gone after a couple of years, so starters get pulled in the 4th in games that are mostly decided. Result: even though the players move one, teams dominate, or are at least competitive for years. Packers won with Hudley today, but how much better would there chances have been the past two weeks if it wasn't his first time under the bright lights?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Haha we dont practice fucked love it.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Serious question, why don't NFL teams give backup quarterbacks real regular season game reps?

The situation the Packers, and other teams (Cardinals, Bucs) would not be so bad if the backup QB was given some game reps. Why is the NFL of the mentality that the starting QB has to be in there for every snap? Is there another position in any other sport that is similar? They won't even put in the backup to take the knee or hand off in obvious running out the clock situation at the end of the game...if he can't be trusted to do that you really should be looking elsewhere!
    How is handing off or taking a knee in garbage time going to help a backup read defenses when they have to play?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    You just have to look around the league and watch other QBs play to realize that there just aren't 32 starting QBs in football. The reason is that it's just a hard job - a lot of guys just don't get it. And for a lot of guys it takes time to get it. And you can't afford to let them learn on the job when you're trying to win games. Even when the Packers are dominant, most games aren't decided until late. It's just the nature of the game that you can't train guys up with real reps. And if they are good enough to start, other teams figure it out pretty quick, and find a way to get these guys off your roster. Brunell and Hasselbeck come to mind. Brunell threw 27 passes in one year in the regular season before Jacksonville acquired him and Hass threw 29 passes in two years before Seattle traded for him. If Hundley had been ready to be a solid starter, he'd already be gone.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Almost all NFL games are close in the second half and into the 4th quarter. If your job literally hung in the balance of wins and losses, and you had 16 chances per year, would you really put in anything but your starter?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

During the season there is limited practice time available and teams are working on that weeks gameplan. Sacrificing time to a guy who hopefully won't see the field is harmful.

MM used to develop his QBs during his offseason program, but with the new collective bargaining agreement most of that time has been taken away from him. At least one really smart and insightful poster has suggested its time to use veteran backups now due to the system.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

MM used to develop his QBs during his offseason program, but with the new collective bargaining agreement most of that time has been taken away from him. At least one really smart and insightful poster has suggested its time to use veteran backups now due to the system.
    I think this is a big factor. In fact, if dopes like Pete Carroll would stop pushing the limits and introducing contact into the offseason, I bet young players would push the NFLPA to give them back an offseason session.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    At least one really smart and insightful poster has suggested its time to use veteran backups now due to the system.
    But that would mean getting a FA QB. And FA is a fate worse than Packer hammy.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    But that would mean getting a FA QB. And FA is a fate worse than Packer hammy.
    Well, after this mess we might just resign Hundly for vets minimum.

In most games, each snap has too great an impact on the outcome for a backup to take snaps. There are always exceptions.

He could alternate and go with the hot hand at QB.

Works with RBs, right?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He could alternate and go with the hot hand at QB.
    Stubby did try that with Cobb and the Pussycat offense. You couldn't say Hundley was the hot hand, but Cobb was definitely ice cold.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Stubby did try that with Cobb and the Pussycat offense. You couldn't say Hundley was the hot hand, but Cobb was definitely ice cold.
    Maybe.. and it's a big maybe..MM was showing a set and formation that may have worked but didn't. But it's now on tape for all the DC's to see and digest and plan for. Especially if the next time Cobb rolls right and throws the ball. Just maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Maybe.. and it's a big maybe..MM was showing a set and formation that may have worked but didn't. But it's now on tape for all the DC's to see and digest and plan for. Especially if the next time Cobb rolls right and throws the ball. Just maybe..
    He might be a better QB than runner at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    3D CHESS!!