Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Bears II

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    but only up to a point. It's a passing league, but the teams that are tearing it up this year have a really good balance, if not a focus on the running game. LeVeon Bell, Gurley, Hunt are monsters, and NO has a really nice mix of backs. Dallas goes without saying. NE and Seattle are probably more in tune with the pass first, pass often approach of Stubbers, but it's probs cuz their run offense is so putrid.
    Group 1: Pittsburgh, Rams, KC, NO

Group 2: Seattle, NE

I'd take Group 2 to emulate.

But Seahawks aren't an easy comparison point. At first under Wilson they were run first and run most. After Beast Mode left and the O line deteriorated, they have been slowly moving to pass dominance. Its mainly the D that keeps that team together, though that is showing a decline now too.

NO is the most interesting, but I have my doubts when they had a game in Green Bay in doubt until the 4th quarter when the Packers had no pass defense and no passing game. I am not buying them.

This was the WRONG year for Rodgers to take a vacation. Wide open.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    How did he call plays in Lacy's second season? He still leaned on Lacy with a second 1100 yard season. I think if any of the RBs show they can run on a defense consistently, M3 will utilize that. The problem with Monty is he's too hot and cold. He'll have the occasional big game, but he'll also get too bottled up. His real ability to split out wide as a receiver and run NFL quality routes makes him something special, but only if M3 wants to exploit it (meaning choosing to run the offense that way and take the ball out of the hands of three better receivers).

Speaking of receivers, where are the young guys stepping up? In a couple of years, Cobb and Nelson will be gone. The Packers have Adams and....?
    I think the bag of running backs they have now, with a line that is not as good at run blocking as when Lang and Sitton were in their prime in GB, would work fine. Lotta diverse talents there. Short yardage, some speed and pass catching. Can do a lot with that.

They definitely need a WR to step up. Even Allison becoming a factor might be nice but I think extra TE play has reduced his snaps. But Janis/Davis haven't made the jump.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Group 1: Pittsburgh, Rams, KC, NO

Group 2: Seattle, NE

I'd take Group 2 to emulate.

But Seahawks aren't an easy comparison point. At first under Wilson they were run first and run most. After Beast Mode left and the O line deteriorated, they have been slowly moving to pass dominance. Its mainly the D that keeps that team together, though that is showing a decline now too.

NO is the most interesting, but I have my doubts when they had a game in Green Bay in doubt until the 4th quarter when the Packers had no pass defense and no passing game. I am not buying them.

This was the WRONG year for Rodgers to take a vacation. Wide open.
    Both group 2 coaches want to be in group 1, if/when possible.

I didn't analyze Philly for Pass versus Run. I think they've just been insanely efficient (Wentz is playing flawless ball) and have feasted off turnovers and general bad football by opponents.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

They need Lance Kendricks to step up, both blocking and getting open in the middle.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Both group 2 coaches want to be in group 1, if/when possible.

I didn't analyze Philly for Pass versus Run. I think they've just been insanely efficient (Wentz is playing flawless ball) and have feasted off turnovers and general bad football by opponents.
    Wentz and the Philly offense are having a Green Bay in 1996 kinda year. D and ST giving them tremendous field position.

Scott Kacsmar, the guy who noted Rodger/McCarthy woeful 4th Quarter Comeback record has been telling people this to get them to stop the hype on Wentz. It isn't going well.

Wentz and the Philly offense are having a Green Bay in 1996 kinda year. D and ST giving them tremendous field position.

Scott Kacsmar, the guy who noted Rodger/McCarthy woeful 4th Quarter Comeback record has been telling people this to get them to stop the hype on Wentz. It isn't going well.
    Is Captain Comeback getting pelted with batteries?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Is Captain Comeback getting pelted with batteries?
    Virtually, yes.

Virtually, yes.
    That seems to be his sweet spot. IIRC, he made his name arguing with statistics that Tom Brady was not as good as Big Ben. Then he moved on to drive the "Rodgers (and later M3) is not clutch" train.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    That seems to be his sweet spot. IIRC, he made his name arguing with statistics that Tom Brady was not as good as Big Ben. Then he moved on to drive the "Rodgers (and later M3) is not clutch" train.
    He is still driving Brady fans nuts.

His new point is that the Patriots playoffs wins in the Belichick era have featured better defense than offense trends. As in, number of playoff wins where QB had to score more than 24 points: Wilson 5, Warner 4, Rodgers 3, Manning all of them, Brady -2, etc.

He also has a chart of dropped INTs in playoff games. That was started by noticing Brady's low ypa in Super Bowls.

Overall, he has a point. New England doesn't normally put it all on his shoulders. Which is what a great team should be doing. But he purposefully frames it as a shot at Brady.

https://captaincomeback.wordpress.co...brady-and-ypa/

Even Peter King was bothered by it. But SK had a point, even if Brady was only one point of it.
    Last edited by pbmax; 11-18-2017 at 08:14 AM.

He is still driving Brady fans nuts.

His new point is that the Patriots playoffs wins in the Belichick era have featured better defense than offense trends. As in, number of playoff wins where QB had to score more than 24 points: Wilson 5, Warner 4, Rodgers 3, Manning all of them, Brady -2, etc.

He also has a chart of dropped INTs in playoff games. That was started by noticing Brady's low ypa in Super Bowls.

Overall, he has a point. New England doesn't normally put it all on his shoulders. Which is what a great team should be doing. But he purposefully frames it as a shot at Brady.

https://captaincomeback.wordpress.co...brady-and-ypa/

Even Peter King was bothered by it. But SK had a point, even if Brady was only one point of it.
    That post was a nice capsule discussion on the number of factors outside of a quarterback's control and how the playoffs in particular rely more on whole-team effort, defense in particular.