Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whither Callahan?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hundley starting is a win-win.

You want to tank and get a better pick? Start Hundley - Win

You want to develop a young player and see if they can make it? Start Hundley - Win

Callahan can have his shot in five years when a Lion breaks Rodgers collarbone next.
    Sounds more like a lose-lose thing to me. Lose games, lose the season. Unless you believe Hundley will do neither. Is that what you believe?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Sounds more like a lose-lose thing to me. Lose games, lose the season. Unless you believe Hundley will do neither. Is that what you believe?
    Do you really think Callahan gets you to the playoffs?

I think there is a remote, outside shot Hundley and McCarthy figure something out and win a few games. I have even less certainty about Callahan. Maybe Callahan can run the current close to ARod version of this offense better, but he didn't look fantastic in preseason either.

If remote are the best odds they have, then the best info is whether Hundley can play. Callahan is a secondary consideration that can be made later.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Do you really think Callahan gets you to the playoffs?

I think there is a remote, outside shot Hundley and McCarthy figure something out and win a few games. I have even less certainty about Callahan. Maybe Callahan can run the current close to ARod version of this offense better, but he didn't look fantastic in preseason either.

If remote are the best odds they have, then the best info is whether Hundley can play. Callahan is a secondary consideration that can be made later.
    This isn't about Callahan getting us into the playoffs. It's about Hundley. It's about the rest of this year and next year.

As I see it, the best case scenario is that Hundley loses his bad habits and bad instincts and the Pack eeks out a couple wins to get into the playoffs. Arod comes back and we repeat the 2010 season.

What are the odds of that happening? Probably zero.

A more likely scenario is Hundley finishes out the season and maybe eeks out a win against the Browns. He flashes signs of ability, maybe even brilliance. Hell, Flynn set records against Detroit one year.

If that likely scenario happens, where are we with regard to 2018? Same place we are now.

Odds are they won't hang on to Hundley, who by the season's end will be a known quantity, and Callahan will continue to be an unknown quantity. Odds are he'll be gone too and next year we'll go into the season with some drafted rookie as backup. Or at best, Hundley, if we don't get rid of him.

And in the meantime we suffer through more games like yesterday's.

I've got to hand it to the Vikes. Bridgewater went down and they went out and got Bradford. Bradford goes down and they went out and got Keenum. We stand pat.

The Viking game plan puts them into the playoffs and maybe the Super Bowl.

Us????
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

They just didn't get Keenum. They got a whole new offense. Rebuilt the line, finally hit on drafting receivers and replaced Peterson with a top player.

You seem to be convinced that Hundley will never develop and the need to get on with evaluation of Callahan. I believe in Callahan less than Hundley, but regardless, there is less time with BH and more time for Callahan. Need to decide on Hundley with more than 4 games of info.

M3 has got to stop game planning and install an offense he can run.

And not laying this on Maxie, who has not made this point, this is the reason most teams have no excuse for not hiring Kaepernick. The offense will change regardless.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I hate to always harp on the injuries and circumstances but it’s hard to install an offense when the evil traitorous TE bolted two running backs get hurt and the tackle - at least on one side is marginal.

The exact O you (Stubbers) wants to run is killed by those problems, not to mention Hundley’s hesitancy.

I guess the Vikings are the team building strategy du jour.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I hate to always harp on the injuries and circumstances but it’s hard to install an offense when the evil traitorous TE bolted two running backs get hurt and the tackle - at least on one side is marginal.

The exact O you (Stubbers) wants to run is killed by those problems, not to mention Hundley’s hesitancy.
    Sure, it doesn't help. But right now those right tackles are worse in pass pro than run blocking. Or perhaps, there is less risk to the franchise if they blow run blocks than pass blocks.

Losing your blocking TE doesn't help either, but there are adjustments and two FBs, at least one of which can catch a pass.

But what really makes me wonder is that the Ravens have had trouble with the run. Sure they got one run stuffer back, but they aren't as effective as they are heavy. Williams found some room even as his average wasn't great. Inside the tackles he normally got his three yards and started off a bit better.

So I get expecting the Ravens to commit to stopping the run and hoping to force Hundley to throw. But realizing that is their strategy shouldn't cause you to give in to it immediately. That is the time to vary when you pass (first down) and when you run to go against tendencies. Running no huddle and not letting the Ravens get the pass rushers out there was nice, but it wasn't enough.

You'd guess wrong, Rand. Just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. So, if you were the Vikes you would have promoted Kyle Sloter to the #1 QB when Bradford went down instead of going shopping for a Keenum?

As far as injuries and player losses, welcome to the NFL. Minnesota is the poster child for that, Dallas isn't far behind. Look at Miami. Fix it Stubby!!! We impatient fans demand action now! I'm mad as hell and I ain't going to take this anymore!!!!

hahahahaha

I think if the Packer thought Rodgers was going to be a question mark to return they would go shopping or recruiting in the off season too. They had a lot of holes to fill this offseason. Upgrading backup QB prob wasn’t as high on the list.

They just didn't get Keenum. They got a whole new offense. Rebuilt the line, finally hit on drafting receivers and replaced Peterson with a top player.
    Your coming awful close there, pb, to endorsing free agent signing.

Minnesota replaced Shaun Hill (who might look good on our roster right now) with Case Keenum; Jake Long with Riley Reiff, signed Latavius Murray and four others.

Did I mention they're prospects this year in the NFL are exactly the opposite of ours?

They got Keenum on March 31 of this year which makes the Vikings look smart right now and us stupid. When Bradford went down the Vikings had an experienced QB in the well. When Rodgers went down we had two backup QB's neither of whom had played a down in the NFL.

I think if the Packer thought Rodgers was going to be a question mark to return they would go shopping or recruiting in the off season too. They had a lot of holes to fill this offseason. Upgrading backup QB prob wasn’t as high on the list.
    I think they had the same attitude most of us had: Rodgers goes down we're fucked...period.

I had that attitude, but then I'm just a fan.

I'm thinking maybe next year we get an old experienced QB backup instead of young pups.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Too hell with going with Kap. I'd roll with Hundley and only go the Joe if Brett gets hurt. This is our reality for the rest of the season. The only good thing about all this is we'll finally get a shot at a real play maker in the upcoming draft.
    Only if TT gets out of town. His drafting on the defensive side of the ball has time and again been beyond putrid. Time to move on.

FUNDAMENTAL QUESTION:

Why is Callahan on the roster?

It doesn't make sense to keep him as a backup to Hundley because, as Stubby has said, you can't win with him at QB. So why waste a spot on the roster with a player who can't help you win. Without Callahan on the roster we could add someone in his spot who is actually capable of helping the team win. Like Max McCaffrey. Or Reggie Gilbert.

What if Hundley goes down and Callahan isn't active? No problem. There are plenty of other guys on the roster besides Callahan that could backup Hundley at QB without being able to help the team win. How about Jeff Janis, or Cobb? Or some skank from the defense that barely plays...like Donatello Brown. He could handle it. Or HaHa could take one for the team and play both ways.

Minnesota replaced Shaun Hill (who might look good on our roster right now) with Case Keenum; Jake Long with Riley Reiff, signed Latavius Murray and four others.

Did I mention they're prospects this year in the NFL are exactly the opposite of ours?

They got Keenum on March 31 of this year which makes the Vikings look smart right now and us stupid. When Bradford went down the Vikings had an experienced QB in the well. When Rodgers went down we had two backup QB's neither of whom had played a down in the NFL.
    I think we were all convinced that Hundley was better than Keenum, who is extremely limited. But he is a match to the offense they are running.

Riley Reiff was discarded by the Lions because he stunk out loud. Jake Long, their previous, was just worse. The improvement has on their O line is more than a rag tag street FA signing.

The offense was built for Rodgers. And McCarthy hasn't gotten it tuned to his backup QB. That is a coaching failure. But he is learning about his new QB as his new QB is making his first NFL starts. That is the risk of draft and develop.

Even a vet backup will not be able to run Rodgers offense.

The bigger question is this: does McCarthy's offense, or Capers defense make sense in a limited practice time League?

I think smart colleges and Belichick have it right. Simple for us to teach and them to learn.

I guess the Vikings are the team building strategy du jour.
    Like the Falcons or Cowboys last year.

And the Panthers the year before.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Funny how no one wants to build a team like the 49ers anymore.

Or the Seahawks

The Vikings aren't going anywhere until they can prove they don't have a case of the Bengalitis.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

nm
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

You'd guess wrong, Rand. Just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. So, if you were the Vikes you would have promoted Kyle Sloter to the #1 QB when Bradford went down instead of going shopping for a Keenum?

As far as injuries and player losses, welcome to the NFL. Minnesota is the poster child for that, Dallas isn't far behind. Look at Miami. Fix it Stubby!!! We impatient fans demand action now! I'm mad as hell and I ain't going to take this anymore!!!!

hahahahaha
    Dallas? They just lost their best player to suspension and now their offense is sputtering. Sound familiar? MN has a good defense and Keenum is playing out of his mind but even if they win the division I don't see them beating the Eagles in the post season. Miami is a joke. We get all of their games down here and their games are real yawners.

You are looking at this situation with 20/20 hindsight. I have a feeling a lot of folks like you who are now blasting TT for not shoring up our back up QB situation would have howled about him spending capital there and not getting a FA to bolster our TE and DL positions.